TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Roofing seam sealer/dyna mat - engine compartment?
Plumb1 Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:13 am

Has anyone done this? Would the constant engine heat keep the tar from adhering correctly?

Brian Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:35 am

I have dynamat in the engine compartment in front of the fan shroud and it holds up no problem. Highly suggest doing it with the tar board.

Plumb1 Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:37 pm

What part of the country are you in?

bluebus86 Sat Nov 04, 2017 2:58 pm

seeing as the motor bay is highly visable when the deck lid is open, suggest you use the correct looking replacement black sound dampening panels. several VW parts vendor sell them. nothing uglier in my opinon (except my face) than seeing the dynamat logo printed all over the motor bay, yuck! even without the logos printed, it dont look correct, because it is not.

good luck Bug On!

Plumb1 Sat Nov 04, 2017 5:08 pm

I agree Bluebus.

It is an awful site. But if works well.....

Busstom Sat Nov 04, 2017 8:37 pm

There's Dynamat, and then there's Dynaliner, right? Both awesome.

Dynamat is the thin rubbery foil-backed product that damps the resonation of sheet metal, thereby quieting it down (doesn't necessarily block the passage of soundwaves). You could easily apply this then cover it with OE style tarboards...you'd be quieter AND look factory.

Then there's the Dynaliner, which is a dense foam-type product, which both damps vibration AND blocks soundwaves AND heat transfer. This comes in several thicknesses, and I'd bet you could put the 1/4" in your engine compartment, then still fit the OE style tarboards and that would be the shit right there.

That's the plan for my '65 Beetle, very shortly here. I've already got the product in-hand (I've used it on other projects).

Plumb1 Sun Nov 05, 2017 5:34 am

I have never heard of dynaliner.

Will check it out. I like your idea.

TX-73 Sun Nov 05, 2017 6:29 am

I used QuikRoof inside the car and the standard replacement rubber engine compartment liner. End result for both noise and appearance was good. Zero smell from QuikRoof. I added 2 additional flat hold down brackets on the engine liner directly in front of the shroud fan just to ensure it was not pulled into the fan for some reason. All good through our TX summer temps but I also have all German engine tins, flaps and thermostat installed and working properly to keep the engine at proper temp.

bluebus86 Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:20 am

That idea is good, a layer of dynamat, or dynaliner (but not dynamite!) covered with a stock tar board. make sure you have enough room to fully engae the metal hold dwon spikes to the stock tar matt, as mentioned, if it comes loose, it can block the fan inlet. then you will have sound absorption and stock look.

make sure the dynaliner is a closed cell foam rather than open cell foam so it wont soak up water like a sponge and cause rust problems.

Bug On!

Plumb1 Sun Nov 05, 2017 8:40 am

Has anyone bought the replacement tar boards that Chris Vallone is selling? $80 with shipping .

Quality tar board as I have seen is right around $60..

Watched a YouTube video. Seems to be a nice product.

andk5591 Sun Nov 05, 2017 10:52 am

I do 2 layers of quick roof on the interior side of the firewall and then a generic "underhood " sound insulation on the engine side between the tar board and firewall. Used to get a foil faced fire resistant roll (about 1/2 thick) at Pep Boys, but they no longer handle it. There is something on Amazon called Ballistic Hood Armor and will probably check it out.