TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Hello new Square!!!! Page: 1, 2, 3 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
oxsign Tue Nov 07, 2017 6:16 pm

So I had a Fasty and over time it was just to much work needed. The more I tore into it the worse it got. I finally threw in the towel and figured the amount of money I was going to put into it I could buy something else, put my motor I built in it and have a good driving Type 3. So last week I went back to AZ for my stepsons wedding and while I was there I happened to come across this all original '71 Square. No motor, but otherwise complete. Never been hit or repaired. Very solid with a small 6" hole in the pass side pan and very little surface rust. OG paint, 1 key works doors, hatch, ignition, etc. It's missing the windshield, but I have the one out of the Fasty. It's been sitting for over 10yrs in a junkyard in AZ and is an original AZ car. I'm now looking into a shipping/freight company to have it brought back to FL to get started on it.

Mike Fisher Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:05 am

I'd noticed that your fasty build had seemed to "stall out". Nothing wrong with "changing horses in mid stream". Put an ad on www.uShip.com but only contract with a Trucker not a Broker.

oxsign Wed Nov 08, 2017 10:33 am

Mike Fisher wrote: I'd noticed that your fasty build had seemed to "stall out". Nothing wrong with "changing horses in mid stream". Put an ad on www.uShip.com but only contract with a Trucker not a Broker. Yes, as I dug in more the worse it got. Along with it being hit, the rust was just incredible. I just decided that i've had enough with the amount of repairs it was needing. I found this square for $600 with almost little to no rust (aside for the small hole in the pass floor) and complete & original. I have the motor and windshield I will use from the Fasty. I paid less for it along with the transport than what I would've put into the Fasty to get it complete.

I just read through all 20+ pages of the "Transport" thread here and it seems like 4corners comes highly recommended. I just sent out for a "free quote" from them to see what they offer.

oxsign Thu Nov 16, 2017 12:17 pm

Well, it came in today. I’ve taken some time today to do a little cleaning on it. It’s got some typical rust in the bottom corners of the front fenders, batt area and under the pass side. Nothing “major” compared to my Fasty, lol. I’ve really got to wash it and clean all the dirt caked on from sitting in a yard for ice 12yrs. I took some picks for you guys and I’ll take some more after I wash it. I’ll upload them now and attach them once they’re done.

GjMan Thu Nov 16, 2017 4:25 pm

Nice score. My first VW was also a 71 SB, also an Arizona car. But it was Shantung Yellow.

oxsign Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:58 pm

oxsign Thu Nov 16, 2017 5:59 pm

oxsign Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:02 pm

oxsign Thu Nov 16, 2017 6:04 pm

I know how much you guys love pictures, lol. So here you go. Let me know if you want to see anything else I didn't get a pic of.

EverettB Thu Nov 16, 2017 10:28 pm

Nothing pops to mind but I admit I got distracted by checking out your garage - it's cool.

oxsign Fri Nov 17, 2017 5:59 am

EverettB wrote: Nothing pops to mind but I admit I got distracted by checking out your garage - it's cool. lol, thanks. I just got it built 6 months ago and i'm already running out of room, hahaha. The wife was happy to finally see it done so she could park in her garage again, lol.

W1K1 Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:20 am

much better start for a project \:D/

Bobnotch Fri Nov 17, 2017 1:23 pm

W1K1 wrote: much better start for a project \:D/

Agreed. It's mostly there too. 8)

heimlich Fri Nov 17, 2017 3:18 pm

That's a good start for a project.

notchboy Fri Nov 17, 2017 6:51 pm

oxsign wrote: I know how much you guys love pictures, lol. So here you go. Let me know if you want to see anything else I didn't get a pic of.

I was going to say - good job on the pic whoring :wink: :lol:

Good start.

oxsign Fri Nov 17, 2017 8:11 pm

thanks guys. I think it's a great start, and i'm excited with it. Tomorrow I'll be putting a battery in it and going over the electrical. I'll be searching for a battery tray and a pan section to fix the 2 bad spots and then on to installing the motor.

Sqrbckguy38 Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:04 pm

I love how your new one has a/c, jealousy consumes me..... But no, really, great find on it.

oxsign Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:22 pm

Sqrbckguy38 wrote: I love how your new one has a/c, jealousy consumes me..... But no, really, great find on it. The AC is something I will be removing from it. Its got a few things missing and I don't really feel i'll be needing/using it. Plus, with a stock 1600, I'd like to keep all the HP I can with it, lol. :lol:

oxsign Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:27 pm

OK, I put a battery in it and started going over the electrical. I had to take the headlight switch from the Fasty and use it here. i bought new headlights and with that I was able to get the headlights, taillights working. I got the hazard switch working and now those work as well. blinkers work too.

Rear brakes are locked up (or more like dragging). So I'm gonna go over them and probably just rebuild them and change out the lines as well. Then i'll work on getting the brake lights to work.

I went ahead and swapped out the wheels/tires too while I was at it. Not the best, but they are better than all the mismatched that were on there before. Once the motor is in there the rear will level out of course.

Put in the rear seat as well, lol.

oxsign Thu Nov 30, 2017 6:28 pm

For "shits & giggles" I bought this Nintendo Ghost "Boo" and made an antenna ball out of it. Pretty cool with it glowing in the dark, lol.