TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Adam's 1955 Wolfsburg Semaphore Kombi Build Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Okie Adam Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:25 pm

I'm starting to work on this bus and my friend suggested that I start my first ever build thread. It has a loose deadline for being on the road and honestly it's about time. I bought this bus almost 10 years ago and the plans for it have changed a few times but now the plan is set. This is somewhere on 40 in New Mexico when I brought it home from Arizona. Sorry for the bad pic. It's an oldie!

It was all cleaned out and had a small nut tunnel trany in it. It is an original semaphore bus but had a nose clip at some point so it has bullets too. The dash was also replaced with a completely incorrect rounded speedo pod dash. The front floor was nice but also incorrect since it was missing provisions for the felt pedal seals. The passenger rear corner had been torch cut out but the bus came with a replacement bubble tail light corner. The bus has not set forgotten all these years though. I have been buying parts when they come available and I've kept up learning along with everyone here about all the odd ball differences of the Wolfsburg era buses. It has moved from outside to inside and back outside. The time has come though. This bus is getting put on the road! Split case trans, 36hp motor, and basically bone stock in every way except it'll be 12V. I hope I can keep you all entertained as I prep this bus to be road trip ready!

Please excuse me if I misused tenses. Like I said I've had this bus a while.

Travis Woodard Wed Nov 08, 2017 1:36 pm

Very nice the time is now canít wait to travel the open road with this beauty! Get to work!

Okie Adam Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:02 pm

Here's an old photo of when I cut out the incorrect dash and fit the Wolfsburg era dash I picked up in Arkansas from EmpiGT. It has the correct dash vents and the small hole for the turn signal wires.

Okie Adam Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:26 pm

I spent a little time the other night drilling out spot welds on the replacement corner that came with the bus. My plan is to replace it at the body seam after the vents all the way around to the pillar and half way through the belt line. The battery tray will need to be replaced and the corner below the battery. Luckily I have this metal from my old 58 panel and can make it work.

EmpiGT Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:51 pm

cool to finally see what that dash was going in. good looking bus!

Travis Woodard Wed Nov 08, 2017 2:56 pm

Adams 55 is a good looking early dove blue bus itís going to look ever better going down the road!

Okie Adam Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:50 pm

I checked the VIN when I got home because I figured someone would ask. It was produced in the early part of April 1955. Some 4,800 post barndoor.

Okie Adam Wed Nov 08, 2017 4:51 pm

EmpiGT wrote: cool to finally see what that dash was going in. good looking bus!

Thanks! It's been a long time coming.

CaLiBus Wed Nov 08, 2017 6:57 pm

Okie Adam wrote: small hole for the turn signal wires.

ha! learned something new! never noticed that!

dmuis Thu Nov 09, 2017 10:45 am

Subscribed!

d-rick Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:00 pm

nice start....can't wait to see it at soup n a bowl..

Dewayne Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:19 pm

I'm just glad to see him working on it!

Travis Woodard Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:31 pm

Oh man D-rick soup is coming up soon no pressure lol

Okie Adam Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:34 pm

Dewayne wrote: I'm just glad to see him working on it!

There are plenty of folks that have been waiting for this project to happen. I'm glad it's happening finally myself! I might be hollering at you for some advice Dewayne.

d-rick wrote: nice start....can't wait to see it at soup n a bowl..

Soup-n-a-bowl would be a great first road trip! Maybe Dewayne will have a camper by then too.

Skim Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:38 pm

Heck yeah Adam

Okie Adam Thu Nov 09, 2017 2:44 pm

I started drilling out welds on the donor last night. They are so irregular and close to the outer skin! I think I'll have it apart after another round and then it's time to start fitting.

Travis Woodard Thu Nov 09, 2017 5:44 pm

Adam if you have the 55 done by soup weekend Iím driving the 23.

d-rick Thu Nov 09, 2017 8:44 pm

That would be cool to see both of those buses in the woods!
I plan on taking my trim bus this year

Travis Woodard Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:45 am

D-rick how about that mango you have?

Okie Adam Fri Nov 10, 2017 10:08 am

Skim wrote: Heck yeah Adam

Hey man, like I said, seeing the work you're doing to the 15 inspired me to get off my ass and get something done.