TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Torsion bar adjustment question
widefivebug Fri Nov 10, 2017 4:52 pm

I noticed that setting up my rear ride height I have a difference side to side and I need to lower the right side by 1.25 inches. Looking at the chart, and if I understand this correctly, I need to turn inner splines counterclockwise 6 turns and the outer splines 6 turns clockwise to get an adjusted ride height of 1.30 inches. Here is the chart, am I understanding this correctly?

http://vw.zenseeker.net/Wheels-TorsionBars.htm

WooleyNelson Fri Nov 10, 2017 6:09 pm

not "turns" - "notches"

61SNRF Fri Nov 10, 2017 8:42 pm

I read your linked chart and see 6+/6- to make a ~1.3" change in "height", but where that "height" is measured from is a mystery.
I do know 5° down is a LOT of drop. I have tried such charts and they have failed me.
You also notice where it says there is a lot debate where zero is on stock, let alone dropped or modified.
My best advise is to go in knowing you may have to do it several times to get it to your liking.

widefivebug Sat Nov 11, 2017 6:17 am

WooleyNelson wrote: not "turns" - "notches"

Yes, thats what I meant to say. My hands apparently didn't read my mind.

Quote: I read your linked chart and see 6+/6- to make a ~1.3" change in "height", but where that "height" is measured from is a mystery.
I do know 5° down is a LOT of drop. I have tried such charts and they have failed me.
You also notice where it says there is a lot debate where zero is on stock, let alone dropped or modified.
My best advise is to go in knowing you may have to do it several times to get it to your liking.

I understand what you are saying. This car has been apart by not only me but several others. I have the right side finally set where I want it and thought the left matched. Got to have a starting point so I guess this is as good as any.

Maxoceanblue Wed Nov 15, 2017 11:03 am

When I bought my car it sat crooked with the back lowered differently from side to side like you describe. I had to adjust the splines three different times to get it right. Do your research here to understand the procedure and then it's trial and error when you do it. Don't get frustrated. It's a great learning experience.