TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Syncro Locker Panel Light Not Working
photogdave Sat Nov 18, 2017 5:06 pm

Last week the dash was pulled, heater box rebuilt etc.
All went back together (painfully) but two things are not working: the locker indicator lights and the cruise control.
The light actually comes on when I engage the decoupler but the panel light itself is not working.
Here is what the wiring looks like:

The old CC pedal switches were replaced with the new GoWesty kit. The system worked prior but the vacuum didn't hold with the old switches. Now I am not getting anything. Maybe I'm missing something at the CC brain? There is a connection with no wire attached and an extra three pin plug:

Thanks for any suggestions!

OB Rat Sat Nov 18, 2017 6:39 pm

Watching with interest as my de-coupler and rear locker lights have not worked since I got my van. It's just the issue of them not lighting at the dash, otherwise both function perfect.

Steve M. Sat Nov 18, 2017 9:09 pm

So the Decoupler light is the only light working.

The Panel light is just the dash lights - is the cig. lighter light working?
Try swapping bulbs with known good ones

Jumper the locker switches at the connection at the lockers to verify the lights are working.

Are the contact tabs/strips on the pcb board clean?

Why the burned ground plug?

dkoesyncro Sat Nov 18, 2017 11:36 pm

Dave was your panel light working beforehand?

For what ever reason, well i know why, my panel light hadn't worked since I owned it and then one day I tore into it to realize the bulb was making a horrible contact and will still vibrate it's self out of contact, Killing that circuit.
Your a smart guy, you'll figure it out!

What's up with that ground though? Looks like it seen +15

photogdave Sun Nov 19, 2017 12:14 pm

The lights were working beforehand and the lighter socket was, and still is working.
I don't know why that ground is burned. I guess it should be plugged in somewhere? I can't find a place to connect it.

Steve M. Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:03 pm

Follow my grounds here going back to the "Unterdruckenpempe"

That is a vacuum generator if I translated correctly! Mounted on the fwd wall in front of and maybe above the vacuum lines/connections to the pull switches.

See the two clean white squares with screw holes-that is where it mounts.

You can barely see the unterdruckenpempe in there. If you draw a diagonal line from the lower corner of the Locker Panel connector going though the "L" it will point right to it.

photogdave Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:20 pm

Thanks Steve! I only pulled the front panel off so I'll pull the bracket and have a look.
I may owe you a beer!

Steve M. Sun Nov 19, 2017 1:25 pm

Hope that's it!

photogdave Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:08 pm

I'm worried that somehow the connectors got blocked by the heater box when we re-installed it! :oops:
If I have to drop the dash again at least I know how to do it. That was the easiest part of the whole job.

syncrodoka Sun Nov 19, 2017 6:00 pm

A syncro will only have all of this if equipped with a front locker from the factory :wink: These are all of the bits that make the front locker light flash before it is engaged after the knob is pulled.

Steve M. wrote: Follow my grounds here going back to the "Unterdruckenpempe"

That is a vacuum generator if I translated correctly! Mounted on the fwd wall in front of and maybe above the vacuum lines/connections to the pull switches.

See the two clean white squares with screw holes-that is where it mounts.

You can barely see the unterdruckenpempe in there. If you draw a diagonal line from the lower corner of the Locker Panel connector going though the "L" it will point right to it.

Steve M. Sun Nov 19, 2017 7:48 pm

syncrodoka wrote: A syncro will only have all of this if equipped with a front locker from the factory :wink: These are all of the bits that make the front locker light flash before it is engaged after the knob is pulled.

Well solves the mystery of the ground wires except for the reason one is burnt. :wink:

syncrodoka Sun Nov 19, 2017 10:09 pm

I only mentioned this so the OP doesn't scratch his head looking for all of that.

If the bulb is good check the circuit board for power and ground while the headlight switch is on.
Check the grey/blue for power when the lights are on. All of the illumination for the dash, cig lighter, heater controls and locker are powered through this. They are all crimped to each other right behind the heater controls with a metal ring then wrapped with electrical tape.

Steve M. Mon Nov 20, 2017 5:50 am

syncrodoka wrote: I only mentioned this so the OP doesn't scratch his head looking for all of that.

Aww...we could have had him looking for at least a week on that one! 😈

My bad, I should have remembered that it was for the front locker only. I hope you did not waste time looking for it.

photogdave Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:26 pm

Since I don't have a garage and it gets dark before I get home from work, I'll have to put this off until the weekend. Thanks for all the help so far!