TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Buying a new exhaust system and exchangers Page: 1, 2  Next
Poptopcamper Sun Nov 19, 2017 2:06 pm

I've been restoring my 1978 VW Riviera over the last five years. I'm looking at my exhaust system and I'm thinking maybe one or two more years and then I'm going to need all new parts. The po said the bus had 65,000 original miles when I bought it, but the odometer was broken so who knows? Anyway, this is a complete system, so it could be the original.
I've been pricing parts on Bus Depot, and other VW parts retailers and it looks like I could hit close to $1,000, if I replace everything. There must be a cheaper way. I read an old post from 2010 about doing a 74 conversion and they said parts were available from German Supply, sometimes. But I didn't find what a 74 conversion was. If someone could aim me towards some info about that I'd appreciate it.
Also, I've used POR-15 to control some surface rust until I get to the paint job. I read that they have a product to treat the inside of gas tanks. Which leads me to wonder if their high temp product could be used to coat the inside and outside of a new exhaust system? If it worked, that would be the last time to buy one. Thanks for any help.😎

Abscate Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:30 pm

The cheap stuff will fit poorly, rust quickly, and otherwise suck.

$1000 in parts fir a decent Type 2 late Bay exhaust sounds about right.

Gregg in the 603 Sun Nov 19, 2017 3:39 pm

Agreed. You go all new and you get Dansk heat exchangers. Junk under the skin. And what are they, $350 each or so? Crazy. Redo what you have and protect it, best option

Poptopcamper Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:06 pm

$1,000. Yikes. Still curious about the 1974 conversion I read about in an old post.

Wildthings Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:12 pm

The 72-74 heat exchangers and muffler are a direct bolt on replacement for the later exhaust system. There are a few pieces of under the engine tins that are different as well, you will either need those or do some modifications to the ones you now have.

Find the best used early heat exchangers you can find and then buy a top quality muffler to go with them.

jtauxe Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:37 pm

I recently saw a pair of NOS VW heat exchangers for '72-74 for €1000, here on The Samba. You will not find better, but you're gonna pay.

Gregg in the 603 Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:55 pm

Quote: Still curious about the 1974 conversion I read about in an old post
Do it and never look back! I did the same with mine. Had the '79 California setup on mine. Swapped one exchanger out and now have an excellent, much simpler system. Two heat exchangers and a muffler.

Poptopcamper Sun Nov 19, 2017 4:57 pm

In about 1981, I put a new extractor on my 1973 VW bus. I lived in Austin, TX where buses were popular and parts houses had plenty of parts at inexpensive prices. I paid about $50, bolted it on and was down the road. I guess the heat exchangers were good, since they were only 8 years old.
Now I live in Wyoming and buses are almost non existent. There are a few hardy souls driving them. So I have to order everything online and pay shipping. I'm grateful for those suppliers. But I miss those foreign parts stores in Austin. And the VW wrecking yard! It was like Christmas picking parts off of crashed buses. Ah, the good old days.😎

Wildthings Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:37 pm

You never know what you are going to find until you have found it. Bought several pairs of early heat exchangers in good condition for $25 a pair less than ten years back. I had been prepared to pay at least $100 per heat exchanger.

Poptopcamper Sun Nov 19, 2017 5:39 pm

True dat Wildthings!

Heliconman Sun Nov 19, 2017 9:09 pm

I bought a good used set of 72-74 exchangers from Averys air cooled. They are on often selling tin pieces and sometimes have a good condition original set of exchangers for sale. I have not installed mine but will be in good shape when I swap over. Maybe contact them and see what they have. I know they have a bunch of tin for sale right now.

Poptopcamper Mon Nov 20, 2017 3:51 am

Heliconman, Averys looks like a good lead for heat exchangers. Thanks. I'm still looking for a site or post that lists the parts needed for the 1974 conversion from my original 1978 set up. Picture(s) would be nice too. I'm interested in simplifying and saving some money. I'm watching a guy called Mustie1 on YouTube change out his original 1978 system for what looks like a simpler set up, but I haven't heard him say 1974 conversion. ??

Bleyseng Mon Nov 20, 2017 8:32 am

Best muffler/extractor setup for the early 72-74 exchangers is the Stainless Steel EMPI one at only $259.00 http://carcraftstore.com/stainlesslatetype2andtype4exhaust.aspx

Poptopcamper Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:09 am

That EMPI muffler is a beauty! I'm stil trying to find out which parts I need to convert from the 1978 setup to 74.😎

lil-jinx Mon Nov 20, 2017 9:51 am

This is a 79 setup,same as the 74 except for the connection at the cylinder head,

williamM Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:13 am

Jinx- has better pictures- but here is what I did---

You should be able to use the 79 right side (if its like the cali 78 that I have. ) Then all you need is a 78 fed left hand side- and an extractor that will work with you long muffler. Hard part is finding a suitable hanger for the exhaust.

So- with any lick, you get out at the cost of a 78/79 drivers side heat exchanger.

This is the cali 78 I took off.

[img]

Replacement fed 78 drivers side on-

[/img]

Found this to be a simple replacement instead of extractors and muffler.

[img][/img]

Wildthings Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:44 am

williamM wrote: Jinx- has better pictures- but here is what I did---

You should be able to use the 79 right side (if its like the cali 78 that I have. ) Then all you need is a 78 fed left hand side- and an extractor that will work with you long muffler. Hard part is finding a suitable hanger for the exhaust.

So- with any lick, you get out at the cost of a 78/79 drivers side heat exchanger.

This is the cali 78 I took off.

There is no 78/79 heat exchanger because the two years have different style flanges where the pipes bolt to the heads, though it is possible to make the swap work. My guess is that you started with a '79 California exhaust and ended up with a Federal one.

Poptopcamper Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:45 am

Thanks lil-jinx and williamM. My 78 System has two dump pipes too. When I first crawled under and looked at it, I thought it had three exhaust pipes. It's much too complicated. I like simple.

Wildthings Mon Nov 20, 2017 10:56 am

Poptopcamper wrote: Thanks lil-jinx and williamM. My 78 System has two dump pipes too. When I first crawled under and looked at it, I thought it had three exhaust pipes. It's much too complicated. I like simple.

The dump pipes connect to the flapper valves and can be kept if you keep your original flapper valves. You really only need the downward run of the setup and not the rearward run. This gets the heat away from the tranny and fuel pump while still simplifying the system quite a bit.

aerosurfer Mon Nov 20, 2017 11:54 am

Here’s everything you need to know about the conversion

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...mp;start=0

Don’t forget there are specific pieces of tin wear that go with the early system that are different from the 75-78 style.

It goes beyond just the exhaust setup, but the whole cooling system. That’s how the price gets up there quickly.

How about some pictures of what’s there now and what’s rusted beyond saving? Some new gaskets and high temp copper RTV on the joints may do you right. I use the bus depot extractor muffler on my stock 77 system, painted it with high temp grill paint and it has held up well for 5+ years now.