TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1957 Oval Build Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, ... 13, 14, 15  Next
VolkFanJefe Fri Feb 09, 2018 8:24 pm

NICE WORK!!!

scotty timmerman Sat Feb 10, 2018 10:00 pm

Got the front beam pulled off tonight.

scotty timmerman Wed Feb 14, 2018 10:24 pm

Front brake hardware, lug nuts, beam bolts plated and painted.

scotty timmerman Sat Feb 17, 2018 9:53 pm

Steering box cleaned up and painted

johnshenry Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:31 pm

Good stuff. I spent 7 years restoring my '57, you might find the details at thebugshop.org interesting. Almost 19 years after finishing that restoration, I still have that car and love driving it. I have put about 1000 mi a year on it. Ovals are great drivers, you will love the day of your first drive!!!!

VolkFanJefe Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:51 pm

scotty timmerman wrote: Steering box cleaned up and painted

Your parts are coming out nice! Keep at it!

I can't wait to get to this point on my car.

VolkFanJefe Sun Feb 18, 2018 9:54 pm

johnshenry wrote: Good stuff. I spent 7 years restoring my '57, you might find the details at thebugshop.org interesting. Almost 19 years after finishing that restoration, I still have that car and love driving it. I have put about 1000 mi a year on it. Ovals are great drivers, you will love the day of your first drive!!!!

Your '57 came out Soooo nice! Thanks for sharing your website, I'll be looking at more stuff on it for sure!

My '57 was originally Diamond green as well, and I might eventually take it back to that color even though it was turned into a Baja in the 80's.

scotty timmerman Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:15 pm

Thanks for the link to your site johnshenry. I'll be sure to check it out.

Got some drop spindles and the king and link brackets cleaned and painted.

scotty timmerman Sun Feb 25, 2018 4:54 pm

Got some pedal assembly parts from Wolfsburg West so I could assemble it. I don't like how the accelerator petal fits loosely and wobbles around. Is this just the way it is or should some spacers be used to get it to fit a little tighter? I'm looking for a used brake pedal rod. Hoping a used one would be a little cheaper then the new ones.

Also cleaned up and painted an original screw terminal starter. I did test it beforehand.

scotty timmerman Mon Feb 26, 2018 10:16 pm

Got the front control arms cleaned up and painted. Also got the pan separated from the body. It looks like it's going to need a napoleons hat and bottom plate. The fuel line is also rusted out.

scotty timmerman Wed Feb 28, 2018 10:09 pm

The only major rust on the chassis is the napoleons hat and bottom plate. Anyone have a bottom plate there not going to use? It looks like only one supplier makes them. Also will have to replace the fuel line down the tunnel because it has rusted off.

scotty timmerman Tue Mar 06, 2018 10:28 pm

Picked up some 1/4 poly armor brake line to use as the fuel line. I unpinched 2 of the 3 hooks that held the line and pulled the old one out. Also cut the ring at the back. Fed the new one threw and bent the front to get it threw the hole. The front hook can be accessed threw the pedal assembly hole to pinch it back down. The second I cut a small hole in the drivers side of the tunnel to pinch the hook. The 3rd hook is pretty much impossible to get to. I think it should be fine without it. Also made a new ring and welded it together.

scotty timmerman Sat Mar 10, 2018 10:08 pm

Installed new king pin bushings and reamed them out. Assembled the spindles with all new pins and bushings. The spindles are cb performance drop spindles.

scotty timmerman Thu Mar 15, 2018 6:22 pm

Been doing some rust repair to the frame head. The napoleons hat I got from cip1 is a terrible stamping. So I only used what I needed. Also I made a plate to fill in the hole on the bottom. I will weld that in after sand blasting.

scotty timmerman Sat Mar 31, 2018 3:39 pm

Picked up a later beam and I narrowed it 2 inches and added adjusters.

scotty timmerman Thu Apr 26, 2018 8:57 pm

Had the front backing plates blasted and noticed there was a lot of rust between the two plates. So I decided to cut them apart.

scotty timmerman Wed May 09, 2018 12:22 pm

The napoleons hat bottom plate was rusted out. The only one available is from finland. So I got a donor piece off of a ball joint bulkhead. It needed some massaging in the middle and ends to get the shape right. Overall I think it came out pretty good.

scotty timmerman Tue May 15, 2018 8:59 pm

Front backing plates and transmission support cleaned up and painted.

scotty timmerman Fri May 18, 2018 3:21 pm

Axle tubes painted

scotty timmerman Sun Jun 03, 2018 2:58 pm

Rear torsion bars, backing plates and steering column.