TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: /New-to-Me Engine, what's missing Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6 ... 9, 10, 11  Next
KentABQ Tue Jan 09, 2018 6:40 am

While you have the top accessible, remove the triple ground connection (where the three white wires attach) and clean all those points shiny and clean. That is a PITA to get to when needed, and rarely remembered since its buried.

Wildthings Tue Jan 09, 2018 8:00 am

KentPS wrote: While you have the top accessible, remove the triple ground connection (where the three white wires attach) and clean all those points shiny and clean. That is a PITA to get to when needed, and rarely remembered since its buried.

At the stage the OP is at, he could easily relocate the grounding point to somewhere with better access. I have seen a bolt brazed to the top of the #4 intake runner for this purpose.

Goach2 Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:00 am

Ok, at the very least, these connections will be cleaned well. Any products I can put on them that will keep conductivity but hold off rust?

KentABQ Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:17 am

Goach2 wrote: Ok, at the very least, these connections will be cleaned well. Any products I can put on them that will keep conductivity but hold off rust?
Dielectric grease available at all auto parts stores. Some manufacturers call it bulb grease.

Wildthings Tue Jan 09, 2018 11:54 am

Goach2 wrote: Ok, at the very least, these connections will be cleaned well. Any products I can put on them that will keep conductivity but hold off rust?

Some people have a fit because of the name "dielectric" grease believing that it will keep the electrical contacts from passing electricity. It is designed to prevent oxidation and to stay on the contacts at high temperature and is sold for the purpose of coating electrical contacts and promoting the flow of electricity. I have been using it for decades at this point in time on light bulb bases and all sorts of automotive connects and have never had it prevent the flow of electricity.

Goach2 Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:44 am

Doing some house cleaning while I wait for my GS order. Going back to an earlier post, can anyone identify the tan wire that is bundled with the oil pressure and booster fan wire?

Wildthings Fri Jan 12, 2018 6:52 am

Brown/tan is the color VW uses for ground wires. A white wire can also end up looking tan with age.

Goach2 Fri Jan 12, 2018 7:23 am

I can try cutting the sleeve back a bit to get a better idea of it's colour, but does anyone else have these three wires bundled in this way?

Goach2 Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:08 am

Just thinking it through and one thing I noticed is that my 'triple-connection' ground on the case only has two wires. Chances of this wire needing to ground there as well?

Randy in Maine Fri Jan 12, 2018 9:30 am

No. The three light brown "ground" wires are attached to 2 of the 3 possible connections at the ground block.

Looks sort of like this from the gallery. On mine I used my wire wheel to polish both the crimp connection and the copper connector until they shine.

Goach2 Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:05 am

Argh, too bad. I thought I had that one solved...

Wildthings Fri Jan 12, 2018 11:38 am

Goach2 wrote: I can try cutting the sleeve back a bit to get a better idea of it's colour, but does anyone else have these three wires bundled in this way?

Spray the wires with WD40 and wipe them down.

Goach2 Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:46 pm

Ok, White with Green stripe is what it actually is....

Abscate Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm

Great!! Now you can look on the wiring diagram for the WG wire to identify it.

Give a man a fish tape and he can pull a wire, teach a man to read a wiring diagram and can find a school of fishing wire

Goach2 Sat Jan 13, 2018 9:30 pm

Ya, it seems to go to the same side of the coil as the distributor wire. Other end goes to one of those big red dots.....

Abscate Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:40 am

Is there a number on the red dot? That will help you trace it.

It might be part of the diagnostic plug which is a huge connector that VW would plug in tester for service.

Goach2 Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:37 am

Looks like it has a number, just an't make out the number. I'm not too worried about this then, I know it goes to the coil now and if the other end is the diagnostic port, then I'm good with that.

lil-jinx Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:21 pm

Doing wiring? read this
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?p=8241067#8241067

Goach2 Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:58 am

Thanks lil-jinx. I do have that diagram, but it's correct for my year. I just didn't know the purpose of the 'big red dots'. I would suppose that these wires are no longer required, if no technician will be plugging them in?

Abscate Mon Jan 15, 2018 9:22 am

Goach2 wrote: Thanks lil-jinx. I do have that diagram, but it's correct for my year. I just didn't know the purpose of the 'big red dots'. I would suppose that these wires are no longer required, if no technician will be plugging them in?

Down in the right hand lower corner the dots are explained

Your green/White goes to diagnostic plug connector pin 13 per the orange dot.

Print that sucker out, laminate it, and keep in car