TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Minimalistic cargo basket?? Placed under crossbars???
mcbbcn Tue Nov 21, 2017 7:54 am

Hi Everyone,

I could not take a picture because I was driving but I saw a very minimalistic cargo basket. It ran under the cross-bars. In fact, it was difficult to even see that it was there. It was not the typical cargo basket that runs on top of the crossbars. Has anyone seen this product and or know what it is? I liked the fact that looked pretty light weight and probably for putting a couple of cans of gas is more than enough but I can’t find any reference about it. If someone knows what it is, please share. It was basically placed in the small gap between the roof and the cross-bars, not on top of them as you usually see them. Which I imagine, it also leaves for the cross-bars free to be used for something else on top of them.

Thanks for your help,

Miquel

drj434343 Tue Nov 21, 2017 8:33 am

I was on the same hunt when I found the Yakima Basketcase. Unfortunately it has been discontinued. Perhaps this is what you saw?

https://www.prolineracks.com/yakima-basketcase-safari-rack-7012.html

I know this is what I saw on Subaru's all over the NW. I picked up a few second hand. They can be mounted flush with cross bars due to their short height, or possibly underneath depending on clearances with the roof line.

It seems the giant tubular designs are in fashion right now.

mcbbcn Tue Nov 21, 2017 9:32 am

Hi DRJ,

Yes, this is very similar. And the person had mounted it under the bars, no over.

Thank you

joetiger Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:25 am

I'm a big fan of the Yakima Basketcase. They're low-profile, extremely strong, can be mounted multiple ways, and have a bunch of attachment points. They pop up on CL or Ebay from time to time.

elizer Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:52 am

joetiger wrote: I'm a big fan of the Yakima Basketcase. They're low-profile, extremely strong, can be mounted multiple ways, and have a bunch of attachment points. They pop up on CL or Ebay from time to time.

gorgeous cross bars. You can get a good bit on nasioc for those.

The OP made it seem like the basket was under the bars. If that is the case can you just invert the mounting brackets? Like using the upper rim as the mounting points?

elizer Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:07 am

Also any maybe you could just need a tray?

https://www.etrailer.com/Roof-Basket/Rhino-Rack/RRRPBH-S280.html

Kirsche Wasserboxer Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:42 pm

I've had one of these on multiple vehicles since the late '80s. It finally was too rusty to look at, and I was too lazy to clean and repaint it, so it went to Goodwill. Now I wish I had kept it. Here is a picture that should help visualize how it can be mounted to Yakima's bars. It can sit on top of the bars, or between them, both on the long or short sides of the basket. It is more flush with the bars, or slightly below, but not under them. They made a red webbed bungee, with multiple attachment points that I used to secure my gear.

PDXWesty Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:36 pm

There's a place near me that sells used store fixtures. I bought a 2'x4' piece of grid for $10 and use some Yakima clamps to hold it on top of the crossbars. It's nice having a flat grid to strap things to.

childofthewind Tue Nov 21, 2017 5:37 pm

Are you in Portland? There's a place called ReRack on 22nd and Sandy that, just last week, had two used Yakima Basketcase's there. I'm sure you could rig it so that it's beneath your crossbars.

mcbbcn Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:43 pm

childofthewind wrote: Are you in Portland? There's a place called ReRack on 22nd and Sandy that, just last week, had two used Yakima Basketcase's there. I'm sure you could rig it so that it's beneath your crossbars.

Hi Childo,

Yes, I’m in Portland, I’ll check it out. Thanks for the tip! :D

mcbbcn Thu Nov 23, 2017 1:44 pm

joetiger wrote: I'm a big fan of the Yakima Basketcase. They're low-profile, extremely strong, can be mounted multiple ways, and have a bunch of attachment points. They pop up on CL or Ebay from time to time.

Hi Joe, yes, that is exactly what I saw, thanks for the reference too :wink:

https://www.amazon.com/dp/B0012SA40K?tag=bestonlin05ac-20

otiswesty Fri Nov 24, 2017 9:43 pm

childofthewind wrote: Are you in Portland? There's a place called ReRack on 22nd and Sandy that, just last week, had two used Yakima Basketcase's there. I'm sure you could rig it so that it's beneath your crossbars.

I sold them a basketcase that had been sitting in my garage for > 10 years, just a couple of months ago

mcbbcn Sat Nov 25, 2017 9:20 am

otiswesty wrote: childofthewind wrote: Are you in Portland? There's a place called ReRack on 22nd and Sandy that, just last week, had two used Yakima Basketcase's there. I'm sure you could rig it so that it's beneath your crossbars.

I sold them a basketcase that had been sitting in my garage for > 10 years, just a couple of months ago

Hi,

I don’t know if it was yours but I went there yesterday and they had 3. So, I picked one that seemed to have some type of protective coating and now it’s happily installed on my van. Thank you so much for the reference!!!