TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Anyone up for winter camping Kelowna BC to watch the Rally??
IdahoDoug Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:21 am

So the Canadian Rallye championship is in Kelowna BC in a few weeks - Dec 8-10. I'm thinking of going and camping in the Van on the mountain. I've checked with the organizers and it would be allowed. I've never watched a rallye in person so thought it might be fun.

Anyone else interested? Here's the link:

https://carsrally.ca/rally-events/big-white-winter-rally/

It would be great to discuss the technical aspects of getting around in snow in a Vanagon and maintaining heat inside, etc. I'll have a 2WD with studs and chains and plan to simply keep the propane heater running the entire time.

I also have a pair of "emergency chains" from the old days which I've restored and am going to test. They should be getting monstrous amounts of snow up there as it is also a ski resort. The emergency chains consist of two thick chains with welded on ice lugs (I think) that are held onto the tire/wheel with a strap. They'll usually get you out of a snowdrift with little/no shoveling. The chains I have I think are traditional heavy chains as well (never used - garage sale find).

dobryan Tue Nov 21, 2017 12:25 pm

Sounds like a fun adventure. Pics please! :popcorn:

IdahoDoug Tue Nov 21, 2017 1:00 pm

I think it would be fun to see and compare how a chained up 2WD Vanagon on 4 studded winter tires compares to a Syncro perhaps with just normal tires. I'm sure the Syncro would be more mobile but it would be interesting considering the engine is atop the drive wheels. I'll have a tow strap so you can pull me out during the comparo!! Heh....

dobryan Tue Nov 21, 2017 6:35 pm

Wish I could be there to compare. We could start a topic on the virtues of 2wd with a Peloquin and chains vs Syncro and regular tires....

jackbombay Tue Nov 21, 2017 10:06 pm

There is a bit of snow in BC! I'm not sure where this pic was taken, but it is from BC this winter :shock: We've had 130" in the Tetons so far, but this BC pic is absurd!

IdahoDoug Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:13 pm

Holy cow. I have to admit I'm a little nervous driving the Vanagon up onto a mountain in Canada. In December. But I figure there are going to be a lot of crazy rally types up there and I'm assuming they'll be doing a pretty good job with the roads. But it is worth considering it could get nutty up there, and that picture makes it quite real. I'd better head to the garage and have a look at those garage sale chains....

photogdave Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:31 pm

IdahoDoug wrote: Holy cow. I have to admit I'm a little nervous driving the Vanagon up onto a mountain in Canada.
The first time I ever drove a Vanagon was the twisty snow-covered road to Mt Baker (Washington but close enough).
It was my buddy's air-cooled Westfalia, chained up with gas heater blowing!

This looks like a really cool event. I'll try and book some time off! 8)

IdahoDoug Tue Nov 21, 2017 11:39 pm

Well the chains look good. However, She Who Must Be Obeyed looked askance at me bringing in a dripping winter tire from the stack out back in the rain to dry by the heater so I can trial fit both types. One is a nice diamond pattern chain I'd fit on the rear drive tires, the other is a lighter duty cable type probably perfect for the fronts. This could be fun.