TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rear Bus pressed / ribbed bumper parts and hardware Page: 1, 2  Next
nvmipis1 Thu Nov 30, 2017 11:08 pm

Hello all,

Ok so this might be a silly question but I want to make since I can find anything thag can get me a clear answer. I have a 58' PGSG and I purchased classic fab green rear bumper everything bolted up nice . My question is on the ends...there is a hole where it looks like the bumper bolt on to something but my bus had both complete rear sections replaced and are all smooth.. any tips or know how they install correctly? It's looks stupid be side the ends hang. Thank you

Who.Me? Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:20 am

If you fit the splash pans to the bumper and mount them to all the available holes, it'll become clearer where the missing holes should be.

The bumper doesn't bolt direct to the body at the side, it bolts to the splash pan and the splash pan bolts to the body.

There should be a hole on each rear side and one each side underneath where the rear side panel wraps under (below the rear corner trays).

Get a hardware kit for bolting the splash pan up too. From memory, I think there's a rubber pad and profiled washer that go on the inside of the new hole.

nvmipis1 Fri Dec 01, 2017 8:03 am

Thank you Andy I knew it was simple but I never owned an early bus before I'll start looking for splash pans...thank you

mandraks Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:19 am

Just for completeness..
it is not just the early buses that have splash pans for the rear bumpers. They used to be taken off the first time the engine came out the back, never to be put back on. They also hold a lot of crap if the bus does not get washed.

EverettB Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:24 am

These photos might help
Diagram

Splash pans

On the one on the top right, the hole on top goes to the body, the hole below the splash pan bolts to the bumper.
The little hole on the flat portion bolts with a small bolt to the bumper bracket.
One installed photo

There are also some plates that go inside the corner for reinforcement

Eric&Barb Fri Dec 01, 2017 9:26 am

You can access the original VW dealer parts manuals here:

http://www.oacdp.org/

Lots of great exploded diagrams and listings of what parts were used over the years. You will be able to find out about parts you never knew were put on your bus. Plus with the part number and proper name you can much more easily find new/used/NOS parts in the classifieds or even thru a WWW search.

Plus lots of other need to know info on that web site.

BarryL Fri Dec 01, 2017 12:46 pm

EverettB wrote: One installed photo

Did you early guys not have the rubber seal to prevent mud and dust circling back onto the top surface?

nvmipis1 Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:17 pm

Everett thank you!! These photos worked great! Exactly what I was looking for! 👊👍 I just ordered the to splash pan from klassic fab today super ex tied to get them..i can't stand! How the end hang..just looks ubfinsed and dumb in my opinion . Thank you all for your tips and advise if there is anything I should know please advise

Who.Me? Fri Dec 01, 2017 1:55 pm

BarryL wrote:
Did you early guys not have the rubber seal to prevent mud and dust circling back onto the top surface?

Yes, there's a seal that slides in to a channel round the splash pan.

I think I found this on a post from Campingbox, but there's a bug/beetle engine seal that fits (think it's the weather seal from the engine lid). It's fat in some places and thin in others. The thin bit fits.

I fitted one last winter to replace the perished rubber in mine.

oakman Fri Dec 01, 2017 5:05 pm

Who.Me? wrote: BarryL wrote:

Yes, there's a seal that slides in to a channel round the splash pan.

I think I found this on a post from Campingbox, but there's a bug/beetle engine seal that fits (think it's the weather seal from the engine lid). It's fat in some places and thin in others. The thin bit fits.

I fitted one last winter to replace the perished rubber in mine.

Another option for splash pans and hardware. Super nice quality parts. The splash pans come with seal installed:

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=1783872
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2085371

Clara Sat Dec 02, 2017 9:42 am

Peter - Belgium Tue Dec 05, 2017 2:32 am

hello all,

how is that rubber looking like? I got a set of splashpans but the egde to the bumper is just a folded down edge... i do not see a channel for a seal?
Or is this is a seal which slides over that edge (like that aftermarket mexican seal for the front hood?)

Thanks!

perello Tue Dec 05, 2017 4:06 am

BarryL wrote: EverettB wrote: One installed photo

Picture is from my bus, and I was unable to find the rubber seal...so any good pointer is very much welcome.

Who.Me? Tue Dec 05, 2017 5:32 am

Peter - Belgium wrote: hello all,

how is that rubber looking like? I got a set of splashpans but the egde to the bumper is just a folded down edge... i do not see a channel for a seal?
Or is this is a seal which slides over that edge (like that aftermarket mexican seal for the front hood?)

Thanks!

On mine, I'm sure there was a channel like a smaller version of the seal channel that runs round the engine bay and rear valance panel.

It was several months ago when I did mine, but I'm pretty sure the rubber seal looked like a smaller version of that engine bay seal. It had a flat 'base' with a 'V' of rubber sticking out of it. You slide the 'base' of the seal in to the channel, so the V sticks out. The V presses against the bumper.

perello wrote: I was unable to find the rubber seal...so any good pointer is very much welcome.

This is where I saw Campingbox suggest a beetle decklid seal. It works, but you have to cut it up and throw most of the seal away. You only need the thin part of the seal.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=396252

Peter - Belgium Tue Dec 05, 2017 6:58 am

looking at these from the classifieds

there seems to be a channel for a seal (but indeed, never seen this seal for sale on any of the vendors)? the ones I got do not have this, but are just having a folded over tab...

@perello: do you have that channel on yours? Maybe hard to see on the pics but it seems to be missing as well? where you bought these from?

I do guess that welding on the strip they sell to keep the front hood (bonnet) seal in place + that seal would do the trick as well.

Thanks,
Peter

perello Tue Dec 05, 2017 7:15 am

Peter - Belgium wrote:
@perello: do you have that channel on yours? Maybe hard to see on the pics but it seems to be missing as well? where you bought these from?

got them from Heussner & Stauber. seems they manufacture this part without channel

EverettB Tue Dec 05, 2017 8:45 am

2 comments about ribbed bumper splash pan seals from past threads:
campingbox wrote: Beetle decklid seals seem to work just fine. You'll have to trim them to length.
Kommercial wrote: 58 and earlier ribbed bumper splash pans used a different seal. A Bug front hood seal that goes on the body is the same profile

Wolfsburg West deck lid seal link
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=111827705

Wolfsburg West Bug front hood seal
http://www.wolfsburgwest.com/cart/DetailsList.cfm?ID=113823731B

EverettB Tue Dec 05, 2017 9:21 am

I noticed I had this NOS (I think) truck ribbed bumper splash pan so here are 2 photos of the seal and channel:
View from bottom:

View from top:

Peter - Belgium Wed Dec 06, 2017 2:11 am

perello wrote: Peter - Belgium wrote:

got them from Heussner & Stauber. seems they manufacture this part without channel

You have indeed the exact same splashpans as I have... which is missing 2 things:
1/ channel for the rubber
2/ the tab to bolt this splashpan to the bus corner (that triangle like tab on the upper side of the pan which works with that curved washer on the inside of the rear corner (you can see these clearly in the pic from the classifieds i posted).

Clara Wed Dec 06, 2017 10:04 am

Peter - Belgium wrote: perello wrote: Peter - Belgium wrote:

You have indeed the exact same splashpans as I have... which is missing 2 things:
1/ channel for the rubber
2/ the tab to bolt this splashpan to the bus corner (that triangle like tab on the upper side of the pan which works with that curved washer on the inside of the rear corner (you can see these clearly in the pic from the classifieds i posted).

If you have a westy and want to set up the tent, it is important to have the splash pan, at least on the passenger side.
The bumper needs to be secured to the corner or the tent is not supported well and is all floppy.