TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Introducing the Ghiapet Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 22, 23, 24 ... 40, 41, 42  Next
didget69 Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:24 pm

c21darrel wrote: Nice work. They came out great. ... And I thought I was the only one who uses the trash can as a work bench. :wink:

The City gave us sturdier workbenches, but mine have to be out at the curb every Friday morning...

bryan

TDCTDI Thu Jan 03, 2019 1:47 pm

SOLVED! The splash shields make a HUUGE difference in the wet weather braking & the bearings eliminated the play that was causing the rotors to spread the pads which decreased the pedal travel.

Yes, the city does provide nice portable work benches (at a cost). These are great to use to do the grinding outside to reduce the dust inside & the frequent rains wash away the nastiness.

Evil_Fiz Fri Jan 04, 2019 9:20 am

c21darrel wrote: ... And I thought I was the only one who uses the trash can as a work bench. :wink: NOPE +1

-----
Emil

TDCTDI Sun Jan 06, 2019 8:49 am

Well, I took the new GoPro out for a spin, here you go.

John Moxon Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:19 am

Great just missing one thing Chris...for the next video. ;)

TDCTDI Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:44 am

How about a compromise? :twisted:

John Moxon Sun Jan 06, 2019 9:48 am

Yep youza gotta get a Miss Daisy ridin' shotgun too. :lol:

KGCoupe Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:20 am

A quote of yours from another thread, ...

TDCTDI wrote: ...
This is coming from someone that has just put 11,000 on one in 6 months.

:shock: Well DAMN! You do like to drive your little high-riding Krmann Ghia, don't you?

All I can say is Congratulations on managing to use an enjoy the Hell out of it as much as you have thus far.
I sincerely wish you many more such adventures, and look forward to reading about them here in the future.

Like John, I also look forward to seeing some photos of someone wearing a sweet pair of Daisy Dukes while posing next to your Ghia.
... as long as that someone isn't you! (no offense :wink: )

8)

TDCTDI Tue Jan 08, 2019 9:58 am

Thank you sir, I'm glad you enjoy the updates.

Here's my first post showing the mileage on the odometer back on the 23rd of September...
TDCTDI wrote: I haven’t been doing anything too exciting with the Ghiapet other than just driving the dogsnot out of it. So far, I’ve put just under 6,000 miles on it & Just rolled over 60,000 on the clock.

And here we are just now...

I figured that no one would believe how many miles that I put on it in such short time if I didn't share.

c21darrel Tue Jan 08, 2019 11:47 am

You gonna fix that needle or is that part of the intrigue of the Ghiapet? :D

TDCTDI Tue Jan 08, 2019 12:37 pm

Eh, one day... maybe. Speedometer still works, you just have to draw an imaginary line from what's left on the other end. I'd probably cause more issues trying to get the cluster out of the dash. It's not affecting the drivability of the car so IDGAF. Sometimes you just gotta know when to LITFA. :lol:

Basketcase Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:12 pm

you've got some fantastic scenery down there.

c21darrel Fri Jan 11, 2019 11:41 am

Basketcase wrote: you've got some fantastic scenery down there.

X2!! Chris has a nose and an eye for finding great photo ops and entertaining videos. About as impressive as Mr. Moxon… just in a completely different way. Makes me want to visit N.C.

TDCTDI Fri Jan 11, 2019 1:42 pm

Thanks Darrel! :oops:

Basketcase wrote: you've got some fantastic scenery down there.
Thanks! I have no control over the scenery other than my choice to stay in it, enjoy it, & photograph where I can. :D

I have a lot more pics in one of my other threads...
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=687031

You’re all welcome to join in on that one too. I like the neat old buildings, derelict or not. Just like the ladies that make sure that all of their friends are heavier than they are, the Ghiapet just looks nicer when next to an abandoned structure. :lol:

FWIW, I’ve shocked lots of people when I told them that all of the pics were taken with my phone & that I haven’t taken any photography classes (And I'm sure it shows to those with a trained eye.). So just get out there & take pics & share.

TDCTDI Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:24 pm

WOOHOO!!!

I found a sorta reasonably priced replacement front bumper for the beast on Clist.

Some assembly required.

Basketcase Sat Jan 12, 2019 6:26 pm

good deal! now don't knock over any old barns with this one! :D

TDCTDI Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:10 pm

DAMMIT!!!

I have got to stay off Craigslist. :evil: I found a windshield on there the other day & I contacted the seller, after getting pics of it, he informs me that he has some other parts also.

Now for the crazy part, while making the transaction in a wallly world parking lot, we hear a loud “CRUNCH”, we turn around & some dumbass drove their newish RAM (how appropriate) into a lamp post. :lol:

Sooo, to go along with the bumper I just bought, I now have a windshield, a set of door glass to body seals...

A new Karmann Ghia script...

Aaannd, a complete new set of door cards.

So I decided to tackle the window seals since mine were a major source of water ingress & air leak.

After getting the driver side seals in, there was an ugly gap on the rear edge.

So after looking at the regulator, I loosened the lower bolt & shifted it forward.

Mo betta!

Then I looked at the passenger side seal & realized that it was installed backwards at some point in time & questioned whether I did the other side wrong.

That seals up today’s “It is the night, my body’s weak, I’m on the run, no time to sleep...”.

Basketcase Sat Jan 19, 2019 2:59 pm

Don't do that!!! When you said CRUNCH I thought you were gonna say someone hit your Ghia! Cool beans on the parts deal.

VWRICK69 Sun Jan 20, 2019 7:34 pm

Awesome thread.... I want to build an off-road Ghia also, this will be my roadmap. Thanks and good work

TDCTDI Mon Jan 21, 2019 3:20 pm

Basketcase wrote: Don't do that!!! When you said CRUNCH I thought you were gonna say someone hit your Ghia! Cool beans on the parts deal.
Hah! I didn't do it.

VWRICK69 wrote: Awesome thread.... I want to build an off-road Ghia also, this will be my roadmap. Thanks and good work
Thank you sir! I will say that I like the Ghia much better than a Beetle, the lower roofline is a disadvantage when it comes to head clearance but it more than makes up for it in a lower center of gravity & more interior room. Getting back in a Beetle suddenly feels claustrophobic, especially when another buddy gets in, you have one shoulder touching the door & the other against your buddy.

This morning was BRUTAL, while the window seals decreased some of the airflow, there was still air being forced into the cabin from something up front & working it's way through the dash and the temperature dropped to 17* last night. :evil:

After a bit of sleuthing, I traced it down to the ram air fresh air vents, or the lack of seals on the defrost vent plenums.

So I removed it & got a bicycle inner tube to cut up

I quickly realized that the tube was too small of a diameter so I cut a longer piece, split it & wrapped it around the ends & zip tied it together

Then I folded the ends over so I could slip the plenum back into place.

Once I got the plenum back in place, I flipped the boots back down & zip tied them in place.

That concludes today's "I began to find myself searching, Searching for shelter again & again"