TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Subaru conversion help
jigga Mon Dec 25, 2017 7:14 am

Hi,

Ive recently put a subaru 2.5L into my buggy, and im having issue with the engine cutting out. I have driven it briefly before and it was running ok (albiet a high idle). The mechanic had a look at it, did some things and now it cuts out. Naturally, I cant reach him on the phone.

Does anyone have any suggestions on what this could be?

Dale M. Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:24 am

Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Need better description of problem than "cuts out"...

Dale

Wolfgangdieter Mon Dec 25, 2017 9:37 am

Add gas. Honestly it could be about anything!

Tom_Kathleen Mon Dec 25, 2017 2:10 pm

Where are you located? If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports. We have a shop here in CT that has helped us out many times with our Subaru powered Manxter. It call RABE Motorsports in Wallingford, CT. Tom

jigga Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:46 am

Dale M. wrote: Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Dale

Efi dale.

jigga Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:47 am

Dale M. wrote: Carburetor(s) or EFI?

Dale

Engine starts, drives a short distances then it feels like it's starving for fuel (power cuts out then comes back). Then not long later engine stalls.

jigga Tue Dec 26, 2017 7:48 am

Tom_Kathleen wrote: Where are you located? If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports. We have a shop here in CT that has helped us out many times with our Subaru powered Manxter. It call RABE Motorsports in Wallingford, CT. Tom

I'm in Australia :(

sb001 Tue Dec 26, 2017 8:44 am

jigga wrote: Tom_Kathleen wrote: If you are in SoCAl, try Outfront Motorsports.

I'm in Australia :(

Try Out BACK motorsports

Letterman7 Tue Dec 26, 2017 11:59 am

Not to be snarky, but find a qualified Subaru tech that is willing to sit with the car and diagnose it with the OBD connections. Anything else is going to be guesswork through the internet.

Tom_Kathleen Tue Dec 26, 2017 6:18 pm

That will work unless he has a aftermarket ECU like we have (EMS Stinger). Then the troubleshooting gets more difficult. Tom

cbeck Wed Dec 27, 2017 6:51 am

Start with checking all the ground connections. All the ecm's I have dealt with have multiple ground connections.

jigga Wed Dec 27, 2017 7:41 am

Thanks everyone. I'll try a Subaru technician first. Fingers crossed!

Lo Cash John Tue Jan 02, 2018 9:57 pm

If it's losing power then stalling, you're losing something. It could be:

Fuel pressure (bad filters? Bad pump? Bad circuit powering pump?)
Spark (bad coil pack? Bad ignitor?)
Info (could a sensor be failing and the lack of info cause the ECU to shut down?)

manxvair Sun Jan 21, 2018 8:47 pm

Since you're in Australia try Todd at http://www.subarugears.com/ he deals with all kinds of Subaru conversions and might at least get you in touch with someone that can help.