TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: EFI
SGKent Thu Dec 28, 2017 10:04 pm

Kind of curious if anyone has installed an EFI system like these 2 below on a bay engine - either T1 or T4. Kinda wonder why the folks that remove factory FI aren't thinking modern FI systems instead of troublesome carbs. Made me think about it while watching a couple videos of F1 engines which are making 20,000 RPM and a huge amount of power just running injectors that spray into the air horns -see video at bottom below if that sort of thing interests you. There is a throttle blade and an injector plus the monitoring O2 sensor, map, TPS, ECU and programmable software. The newer generation stuff coming out has to be easier to work with that the EFI systems 10 - 15 years ago like the Mexican bug stuff.

dual style:

progressive style:

F1 at RPM

Wasted youth Fri Dec 29, 2017 12:21 am

If that is Redline of Torrance, Calif, they are the same company that supplied me with the correct set-up advice and jets for my controversial Weber Progressive DFEV carburetor.

It would be pretty cool if CARB would issue their blessing for that kit you show, Steve.

Wasted youth Fri Dec 29, 2017 10:34 am

Looks like the Type 4 engine gets ignored once again. Redline shows that kit pictured above is for the Type 1 and their listing for kits seems to exclude Type 4 engines.

MadMax78 Sat Dec 30, 2017 2:56 pm

I actually prefer running L-jet over carbs and even better is running a modern FI system that also controls spark. This gives you a ton of advantages in usability of your car once you got everything installed properly. Especially if you live in a place where the climate varies a lot or you drive at different altitudes.

I guess the cheapest way to do it is use the stock L-jet system and slap on some extra sensors and convert to an aftermarket ECU like Megasquirt.

These days a lot of kits are made to make installing your sensors, wiring etc. a whole lot easier. I recently got some quality parts from Mario at The Dubshop. If you want to go modern EFI, you may want to check it out here: http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/dual-throttle-body-package-type-4-vw-fuel-and-ignition

KentABQ Sat Dec 30, 2017 7:39 pm

MadMax78 wrote: If you want to go modern EFI, you may want to check it out here:
http://thedubshop.goodsie.com/dual-throttle-body-package-type-4-vw-fuel-and-ignition
Very good info, MadMax. I wish I had known about the DubShop when I was converting mine. It's expensive, but sounds like it's well worth it. Next time...