TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Cold weather and oil cooler seal failure.
TDCTDI Fri Dec 29, 2017 1:27 pm

Well, here it is, I always get customers coming in on the first few really cold days with oil cooler seal failure & this time it happened to me. I fired up the Eurovan this morning & set off on my way to work when I noticed a burning oil smell, & noticed the cloud of blue smoke behind the van. I pulled over & checked under the van & saw that the stream of oil had coated the bottom of the van and the exhaust so I poured in the quart & a half that I keep on hand & bought another 5 quarts to limp the beast back home which was just enough for the 1.5 miles back. (And I just took the family on a four hour road trip over Christmas.)

If you haven't changed your oil cooler seals in the last 3-5 years, go ahead & do it now. $5 in parts & 1/2-1 hour is worth having the piece of mind of not having a failure on the road.

On a positive note, I don't have to worry about under coating it this year.

VAEV1993 Thu Jan 03, 2019 7:03 am

Just a bump on this thread.

I think I am experiencing this, though the oil leak seems small, and I am seeing some coolant leaking, but not all the time. I noticed the oil smell though. Only when really cold.

Going to pull the belly pan this weekend and take a look.

VAEV1993 Fri Mar 01, 2019 9:03 am

Just updating here:

my issue turned out not to be the oil cooler, but two separate issues.

Cold temperature coolant leak coming from thermostat housing, and oil leak at valve cover gasket.

Zeitgeist 13 Sat Mar 02, 2019 10:05 am

For the VR6 folks, I recently replaced the seals on the cooler and the two between the block and oil filter bracket. The latter were rock hard and came out in pieces. I would plan on replacing those the next time you're in there.

d_walküre Tue Feb 23, 2021 2:38 pm

I guess it's my turn to do this repair. I went to start up the Eurovan last week to scrape off ice and snow (-10 degrees outside) and oil just comes gurgling and spewing out of the engine... I thought I had cracked the engine block starting it up in these temps! Well, I put in some cheapy oil today to see if I could recreate what happened and sure enough oil come gushing out from between the oil filter bracket and oil cooler.

I'm just glad it wasn't something more serious.

MrPulldown Mon Mar 01, 2021 2:41 pm

Which o-rings are people using as replacements?

MrPulldown Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:29 pm

Are these the o-rings in question. Is there a write up?

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Automatic-Tran..._2480.html

wannabecamper Mon Mar 15, 2021 1:34 pm

MrPulldown wrote: Are these the o-rings in question. Is there a write up?

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Automatic-Tran..._2480.html

using the same website, here is the gasket in discussion.

https://www.eurocampers.com/EuroVan-Engine-Oil-Cooler-Seal-1992--2003--all-models_p_2487.html

Here is a good link on DIY.

d_walküre Wed Mar 17, 2021 8:30 pm

MrPulldown wrote: Which o-rings are people using as replacements?

076-117-069-A Oil Cooler Seal $4.21
038-117-070-A Engine Oil Cooler O-Ring $4.37

Here's what I bought from VW*ortex. I ended up replacing both of these o rings since I didn't want to have to go in there twice, but the oil cooler seal was still in pretty good shape and probably did not need replacing.