TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Brake Fluid Tank Placement
L8ndeb Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:18 pm

Hello All,

I'm in the process of putting together my Manx clone (long story). Anyway, I have converted to disk brakes (Empi), and to a dual circuit master cylinder (Empi). The dual chamber tank (Empi), it will fit directly on top of the master cylinder, but of course, the master cylinder comes with the fittings for hoses to run from the fluid tank to the master cylinder. My question is, what have you guys done? Mount the fluid tank remotely and run hoses, or fit the fluid tank on top of the cylinder?

TIA,

Leyton

joescoolcustoms Sun Dec 31, 2017 2:34 pm

Right on top of the Master. Volvo 240 reservoir or the EMPI unit works OK. Just pull out the two plastic hose stubs and install the resi right on top.

L8ndeb Sun Dec 31, 2017 3:04 pm

Thank you Joe. Much appreciated.

MrGoodtunes Sun Dec 31, 2017 5:51 pm

While @joescoolcustoms contributes great help, advice, motivation, pertinent pictures, and more, let me just suggest considering something I have found with my buggy: The higher you can mount your brake fluid reservoir (within reason), the more gravity will help with feeding your master cylinder and hydraulic system. So, IF your build allows it easily, and IF you plan to do your own brake maintenance, and IF you don't always have an available assistant to help with bleeding brakes, then you might consider some convenient location directly above master. I love that simply opening the bleeder valve on even the farthest (rear right) wheel cylinder on my buggy allows gravity to feed fluid (and any air bubbles or contaminates) through it.

Glasser Tue Jan 02, 2018 1:53 pm

joescoolcustoms wrote: Right on top of the Master. Volvo 240 reservoir or the EMPI unit works OK. Just pull out the two plastic hose stubs and install the resi right on top.

This is a fantastic set up! I am also running it.