TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Loose alternator bolt? Page: 1, 2  Next
Globespotter Sat Jan 13, 2018 12:09 pm

Running my 77 Westy with Type 4 today - mid winter warm up, and I noticed the hex bolt holding on the alternator bracket was moving slightly back and forth. Is it supposed to do that, or is it supposed to be tight?

Wasted youth Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:27 pm

The bolt that anchors to this nut? (Photo credit: hazetguy)... or the lower bolt that is underneath the engine? Neither should have any movement in my opinion.

rottenkid Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

It should be tight. I believe I used a carriage bolt when I put mine together. So that hexbolt should be tight.

timvw7476 Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:28 pm

Everything is supposed to be tight, as in the slider bolt arrangement
& the carriage bolt, (it's indexed by the alternator tin, nut is near the sump
fill tube)

rottenkid Sat Jan 13, 2018 2:29 pm

You are referring to the lower bolt? And not the bolt that adjust the fan belt.

Globespotter Sat Jan 13, 2018 4:56 pm

The bolt accessed in the engine compartment behind the oval plastic cover.

Amskeptic Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:24 pm

Globespotter wrote: The bolt accessed in the engine compartment behind the oval plastic cover.

That bolt should be secure. The nut that holds the bracket to the fan housing above that bolt is also supposed to be secure. The carriage bolt that holds the bottom of the alternator to the fan housing via a stamped metal bracket is supposed to be secure via 13mm nut accessible from underneath. The two 13mm bolts that hold that alternator pivot bracket to the fan housing need to be secure.

I am running into some real issues with these poor engines getting killed by cracks through all of the above, plus the alternator face tin, when they loosen or when people run an obviously imbalanced engine. These parts are drying up. We have to keep them happy.
Colin

Globespotter Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:28 pm

Thanks Colin. I figured it should not be moving. Just noticed it when I was doing a mid winter start and warm up.

Wildthings Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:50 pm

If the pivot bolt has been loose for long, there is a good chance the holes will have wallowed out by now and the alternator pulley no longer lining up well with the pulley on the crank.

Globespotter Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:15 am

Wildthings wrote: If the pivot bolt has been loose for long, there is a good chance the holes will have wallowed out by now and the alternator pulley no longer lining up well with the pulley on the crank.

Not an issue. Right now it's barely moving. Thanks.

SGKent Mon Jan 15, 2018 12:42 pm

the bottom U-bracket cracks then the shroud wears where it wiggles and destroys the mount point.

Globespotter Mon Feb 19, 2018 1:36 pm

I got a chance to get under the bus today and check things out. The lower bolt was completely missing. I replaced it and of course now the bracket is nice and firm, however when I tighten the hex bolt, I can't get it tight enough. I think I will need to replace the hex bolt/nut. It is tight, but there is still some movement. Hopefully I can find those parts - 2, 3 & 4 in this pic:

Wildthings Mon Feb 19, 2018 2:50 pm

The nut and bolt are pretty basic, unless the bolt is too long and has an unthreaded section I can see how it could not tighten sufficiently. Maybe all you would need to do is add a couple of extra washers under the head?

lil-jinx Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:01 pm

Would it be possible that the adjusting arm that special nut rides in has worn thinner then the portion of the nut that sits in the slot so when you clamp it down tight it just bottoms on the nut and not the arm,allowing it to move.

timvw7476 Mon Feb 19, 2018 7:57 pm

There are two bolts holding the lower pivot point as well,
if the sliding upper adjustment is left loose/incorrect for long, that lower
mount does get beaten loose from the blower shroud.
Time to check all mounting points, six total.

Globespotter Mon Feb 19, 2018 8:12 pm

lil-jinx wrote: Would it be possible that the adjusting arm that special nut rides in has worn thinner then the portion of the nut that sits in the slot so when you clamp it down tight it just bottoms on the nut and not the arm,allowing it to move.

It's got to be something like that. I may try to add a washer or two and see if I can tighten it up.

Thanks,

lil-jinx Tue Feb 20, 2018 6:11 am

Or shave down the nut a little so it don't protrude thru the bracket slot.

Globespotter Sat Feb 24, 2018 12:15 pm

lil-jinx wrote: Or shave down the nut a little so it don't protrude thru the bracket slot.

Great tip.

Today I did just that plus added a washer. It tightened up beautifully!

Appreciate the responses. That's why I love The Samba!

SGodinho Sun Nov 17, 2019 7:50 pm

I'm looking for the bolt that is #19 in the diagram. Anyone know what size it is? I can't find it for the life of me.

ivwshane Sun Nov 17, 2019 10:22 pm

SGodinho wrote: I'm looking for the bolt that is #19 in the diagram. Anyone know what size it is? I can't find it for the life of me.

021903243a

***edit

It looks like I can’t read:( you are asking about the bolt not the nut.