TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Ballistic missile attack on Hawaii Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Zundfolge1432 Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:02 pm

Anyone in Hawaii get that alert on the cell phone? Turns out to be false alarm. Odd.

Glenn Sat Jan 13, 2018 1:04 pm

https://www.nbcnews.com/news/us-news/hawaii-ballis...ls-n837511

EverettB Sat Jan 13, 2018 5:21 pm

Ooops, pushed the wrong button!

J/K LOL!!111!! :oops:

Don't mind the man behind the curtain!

Zundfolge1432 Sat Jan 13, 2018 6:32 pm

I bet there’s a few here that remember Burt the turtle and his little duck and cover routine. Pure BS hide under a school desk and cover your head, and we believed it.

vwracerdave Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:18 pm

This may have been an accident this time but this should not be taken as a joke. With the very real threat of N. Korea a missile strike on Hawaii could be a very realistic possibility.

Zundfolge1432 Sat Jan 13, 2018 7:44 pm

Went over to YouTube and brought up duck and cover, I know what to do now and you should too.

Joe 20 Sat Jan 13, 2018 8:59 pm

LOL!! Yes I remember those drills...and if you are in a hallway, crouch down by the wall! Now I know that the crouching down part was so you could more easily kiss your ass good-bye. :D

pechaaa Sun Jan 14, 2018 2:19 am

OMG... hide in frigde lide indiana jones.
https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=jn4Vhkmb4Lw

Glenn Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:16 am

Zundfolge1432 wrote: Went over to YouTube and brought up duck and cover, I know what to do now and you should too.
I grew up 12 miles from the Empire State Building (center of Manhattan), and those drills were just a waste of time.

calvinater Sun Jan 14, 2018 6:04 am

Where i went to grammer school in NJ (Hopewell, Remember Lindberg kidnapping). They still had those 30 gal containers of water stored in the cellar.this was the early 70’s. Ps the inlaws house was used as the command center for the investigation. stormin Norman Swartzkovs father was the colonel of the state police in charge of the investigation.

Gary Sun Jan 14, 2018 7:30 am

vwracerdave wrote: This may have been an accident this time but this should not be taken as a joke. With the very real threat of N. Korea a missile strike on Hawaii could be a very realistic possibility.

Ooga booga :roll:

SamboSamba22 Sun Jan 14, 2018 8:27 am

Pushing buttons never seems like a good idea, ever movie it results in catastrophe.
Hell even growing up, pushing buttons led me to either running through my lives on Crash Bandicoot or texting the wrong stuff to the wrong girl...

Someone send these boss men some Fisher Price toys, bright colors!

Zundfolge1432 Sun Jan 14, 2018 3:14 pm

I was thinking some of the younger folks here should watch a couple of movies which put it into perspective, the latter in a humorous way. See first “Fail Safe” then watch “Dr. Strangelove “ or How I learned to stop worrying and love the bomb.. Slim Pickens riding it out has got to be one of the top 10 best movie shots of all time. 😀

Helfen Sun Jan 14, 2018 4:44 pm

Zundfolge1432 wrote: I bet there’s a few here that remember Burt the turtle and his little duck and cover routine. Pure BS hide under a school desk and cover your head, and we believed it.

Duck and cover actually does work. It all depends on how far you are from where the bomb is dropped. Everyone knows back then and now that you cannot survive a direct or even a near direct hit, but if you are 25 miles away a Duck and cover will save you from a lot of flying debris and keeping your head down will also protect your eyes from the blinding light.

EverettB Sun Jan 14, 2018 5:11 pm

Moderator note:
We were getting into some political comments, they were removed

cbeck Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:56 am

Reported on the news this morning, the responsible person is being "reassigned " instead of FIRED.

67ctbug Mon Jan 15, 2018 7:19 am

Eh, should fire the guy. That's not a thing that you do and then get reassigned or paid leave for a month and then go back to work. He pressed the MISSILE ATTACK BUTTON. How do you even make that mistake, it seriously can't look like every other button.

ROCKOROD71 Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:34 am

I know the conservatives in the room haven't cuz FAKE NEWZ MSM evil!!!111!!! but have any of you other folk watched the Last Week Tonight segment on the American nuclear cache? I think its arguably scarier than North Korea. At least North Korea is developing this stuff, now, and their system probably doesn't rely on 5" floppy disks from the early 80s, a brigade of Air Force regulars who are found asleep at the silo, broken comm infrastructure, etc etc.
That is to say nothing of the tons of nuclear waste that has no where to go and is being stored on site at all the power plants.
Man I bet Einstein is glad he's dead...
Essentially we are on the edge of nuclear disaster 24/7 with or without batshit world leaders with their fingers on the trigger.

Glenn Mon Jan 15, 2018 8:50 am

67ctbug wrote: He pressed the MISSILE ATTACK BUTTON. H
Actually it was a option on a drop down menu on a PC. Maybe TEST and ATTACK should not be adjacent to each other.

TDCTDI Mon Jan 15, 2018 11:04 am

ROCKOROD71 wrote: I know the conservatives in the room haven't cuz FAKE NEWZ MSM evil!!!111!!! but have any of you other folk watched the Last Week Tonight segment on the American nuclear cache? I think its arguably scarier than North Korea. At least North Korea is developing this stuff, now, and their system probably doesn't rely on 5" floppy disks from the early 80s, a brigade of Air Force regulars who are found asleep at the silo, broken comm infrastructure, etc etc.
That is to say nothing of the tons of nuclear waste that has no where to go and is being stored on site at all the power plants.
Man I bet Einstein is glad he's dead...
Essentially we are on the edge of nuclear disaster 24/7 with or without batshit world leaders with their fingers on the trigger.
I heard a piece one day & the person interviewed stated that because the system was so antiquated, that it wasn't "hackable" because of the lack of connection/compatibility to modern systems & that the 5" floppy discs had to be manually loaded eliminating an offsite threat.