TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Steve McQueen's Bullitt Mustang revealed at Detroit Auto Show
TrulyVintage Mon Jan 15, 2018 3:06 am

I just watched Bullitt last night again

Then I ran across this ....

@ https://www.freep.com/story/money/cars/detroit-aut...022006001/

@ https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/authenticating-the-bullitt-mustang

FJ

MrBreeze Mon Jan 15, 2018 6:14 am

Ford announced a new version:

chickengeorge Mon Jan 15, 2018 10:03 am

Wheels should have been flat grey, at the very least. No grille badging, which is correct.

VWsArent4Hippies Tue Jan 16, 2018 7:15 am

Yeaa, Iíll be there tomorrow. Should be sweet! That, and the mid engine Corvette are both pretty interesting

ToolBox Tue Jan 16, 2018 9:56 am

VWsArent4Hippies wrote: Yeaa, Iíll be there tomorrow. Should be sweet! That, and the mid engine Corvette are both pretty interesting

Same here. The wife will be there for work and meetings in themorning and then it is my turn in the afternoon. Might be stuck going black tie on Friday night with her too.

ach60 Tue Jan 16, 2018 11:00 pm

Who said Retro was dead. :P

16CVs Thu Jan 18, 2018 12:44 am

Will they make one for the right hand drive crowd as well?

Stacy

far rider Tue Jan 23, 2018 5:18 pm

just saw on the news the first, number 1, 2018 Bullitt mustang sold for $300,000.00

busdaddy Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:12 pm

far rider wrote: just saw on the news the first, number 1, 2018 Bullitt mustang sold for $300,000.00
Was that at Barrett Jackson on Saturday night with the word "charity" involved by any chance? (I didn't watch any BJ this year so that's just a guess).

far rider Tue Jan 23, 2018 6:25 pm

Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

sb001 Wed Jan 24, 2018 7:58 am

far rider wrote: Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

Yeah I saw this story ont he cbs news couple nigts ago. Steve McQueen himself tried to buy the car back from the family that had purchased it, they said hell no and their reasoning was that it had sentimental value and was now "part of the family." Yet 20 years later and it's fine to give it up. Guess "family" is a pretty relative term.

Q-Dog Wed Jan 24, 2018 8:10 am

sb001 wrote: far rider wrote: Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

Yeah I saw this story ont he cbs news couple nigts ago. Steve McQueen himself tried to buy the car back from the family that had purchased it, they said hell no and their reasoning was that it had sentimental value and was now "part of the family." Yet 20 years later and it's fine to give it up. Guess "family" is a pretty relative term.
I think you are confused. The original Bullitt car was not sold. The number 1 2019 Ford Bullitt tribute mustang (or whatever they call it) was sold.

$300,000 would be a bargain for the original car from the movie. :wink: McQueen has been dead almost 40 years.

crofty Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:43 am

Q-Dog wrote: sb001 wrote: far rider wrote: Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

I think you are confused. The original Bullitt car was not sold. The number 1 2019 Ford Bullitt tribute mustang (or whatever they call it) was sold.

$300,000 would be a bargain for the original car from the movie. :wink: McQueen has been dead almost 40 years.

A HELL OF A DEAL.

Valuation on that car is 3-5 million.

ToolBox Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:49 am

MrBreeze wrote: Ford announced a new version:

The "driver" in the ad is the Grand Daughter of Steve McQueen.

sb001 Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:58 am

Q-Dog wrote: sb001 wrote: far rider wrote: Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

It was years ago that McQueen tried to buy back the car. Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, but here's the news story I saw, it was just on the other night:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-return-of-a-hollywood-legend-steve-mcqueens-mustang/

And if anyone paid $300,000 for a "tribute" car that has no actual ties whatsoever to the film, they're a fooking idiot.

Q-Dog Wed Jan 24, 2018 3:21 pm

Yes, I saw the original CBS story.

The family that has owned the Bullitt car since 1974 still owns it. It has been out of sight in a barn since 1980, now partly restored, and they let Ford borrow it for the unveiling of the tribute car.

Braukuche Sat Jan 27, 2018 4:43 pm

sb001 wrote: Q-Dog wrote: sb001 wrote: far rider wrote: Didnt see the BJ coverage, caught it on a news show. They just mentioned what the first one sold for.

It was years ago that McQueen tried to buy back the car. Maybe we are talking about 2 separate things, but here's the news story I saw, it was just on the other night:

https://www.cbsnews.com/news/the-return-of-a-hollywood-legend-steve-mcqueens-mustang/

And if anyone paid $300,000 for a "tribute" car that has no actual ties whatsoever to the film, they're a fooking idiot.

It was for charity. They sold the tribute car at Barret Jackson to raise money for Boys Republic where McQueen grew up. So no not fooking stupid after all.

jbbugs Tue Jan 30, 2018 6:05 am

https://www.hagerty.com/articles-videos/articles/2018/01/14/mustang-bullitt-found-real-mcqueen
Here's the story.
It's a great read.

Typ3nut Fri Jan 17, 2020 12:22 pm

SOLD ! ... Mecum Auctions, January 10, 2020 Florida for $3.4 Million, $3.74 Total after fees, taxes ...

https://www.motorauthority.com/news/1126764_the-final-scene-bullitt-mustang-sells-for-record-price