TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Front seat dimensions
deafen Tue Jan 23, 2018 1:47 pm

Yeah, I know, another seat topic. I swear I searched, and didn't find a good answer to this question.

Background: My '74 came with front seats that were claimed to have been from a 280Z. They've got the sliding part of the seat tracks bolted to the bottom, but not perfectly - one of the crossmembers is cut, and several years ago when I tried to install 72 Beetle highbacks I discovered that the tracks themselves are not correct.

The other day, the backrest for the driver seat busted at the left recliner hinge, in a way that's beyond my ability to fix. So now I'm looking for new seats. I'm planning to use a set of slider mounts from Moore Parts, and buy seats on Craigslist. So to my question:

What dimensions will fit? Obviously the width is the biggest worry, but I'm also a little concerned about thickness. I plan to leave the rails in place, so I think I need the taller mounts. But if I use those, then I worry I won't be able to fit my legs under the steering wheel if the seat is too thick.

Thoughts?

wbailey2112 Wed Jan 24, 2018 10:18 am

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=692307

No dimensions but some info for you.

Captain Spalding Wed Jan 24, 2018 1:28 pm

Stock Seat Dimensions:
Backrest width at widest point: 20 inches
Seat bottom, width at widest point: 20 inches
Overall length of seat, front to rear: 29 inches
Seat bottom thickness at thickest part (front edge): 8-1/2 inches
Highest point of seat bottom to floorpan distance: 13 inches

Hope that helps.