TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Lowering a thing and best performance engine using stock gbox
JosGar Thu Jan 25, 2018 9:55 am

Hi,

I habe a vw thing 1975 , I wish to lower it a little bit , not slammed but low as much as a beetle would be with one tooth at the back.

How can I lower the FRONT ? And how do I lower the Back ? Is it same as a beetle from the rear with 1 "tooth" ?

Also, I would like to increase some power , I want to use stock gearbox , whats the best engine to put to get some power to get off fastest ?? Dont want a race car , jist some power to enjoy it on summer days, wont use it for long distances , no highways in my country ..

Thanks !

coopster Thu Jan 25, 2018 2:37 pm

Lowers just the same way a bug would.
If you fit bug front spindles that will give you a nice drop around 4inches I think , rear is just a case of re-indexing torsion bars as you say 1 tooth etc
Engine wise a 1776 with a set of twin 40's and a decent exhaust will give you a nice little boost over stock without breaking the bank

Brian Sat Feb 03, 2018 12:24 pm

Swap the front with bug spindles and you can keep your drums. If you want to go fast, swap the spindles with Ghia spindles. That way you can use disc brakes. Don't get aftermarket ones, get some late German ones.

If you go that route, you'll have to flip your lower front trailing arms. Or you can buy some bug ones and pop them in. I'd do that because you can then sell your lower arms and spindles for a pretty penny to someone making a baja bug.

mike-buggsbuggy Wed Feb 05, 2020 8:17 am

use 67 bug trailing arms and drums on my thing front or change the whole front end?
How much drop will I get

Bashr52 Fri Feb 07, 2020 5:37 am

mike-buggsbuggy wrote: use 67 bug trailing arms and drums on my thing front or change the whole front end?
How much drop will I get

Quickest way to do the front is to either swap out the arms and spindles with ghia/beetle parts, or just source some beetle/ghia spindles and just use your arms with beetle/ghia balljoints.

BJT Fri Feb 07, 2020 10:44 am

Bashr52 wrote: mike-buggsbuggy wrote: use 67 bug trailing arms and drums on my thing front or change the whole front end?
How much drop will I get

Quickest way to do the front is to either swap out the arms and spindles with ghia/beetle parts, or just source some beetle/ghia spindles and just use your arms with beetle/ghia balljoints.

Should give you 3-4 inch drop.