TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: A good Trans oil filler 17mm hex tool ($12) holds 2 wrenches Page: 1, 2, 3  Next
Sodo Mon Jan 29, 2018 12:08 pm

For those with Vanagons getting up in the years,
and fearful of (shocking :shock: !) transaxle rebuild prices,

You should change your trans oil BEFORE your drain magnet confirms that you waited too long.....
Fresh gear oil is only $16/gallon. So cheap for the miles you will get, by maintaining a level of cleanliness. And MORE important if you added 25%, 50% 75% more horsepower going thru that little trans.

You need a tool to get the 17mm hex (also called "allen") plugs out. The filler plug and the drain are both 17mm. Be sure to dig all the crud out of the socket, so you can get 100% insertion. If you don't get the tool 100% inserted you might strip the hex which causes all kind of problems!

ABN 3/8" Inch Motorcycles Hex Axle Tool - 17mm, 19mm, 22mm, 24mm - Hex Allen Front Wheel Hub Axle Spindle Socket Adapter
by ABN
AMAZON Link: http://a.co/2Qw7Ngo

----- OK Soapboxing - but trying to make a difference in Vanagon enjoyment ------- MAINTAIN YOUR ANTIQUE :!:

This pic shows the option of TWO wrenches and TWO hands to turn that stuck fill plug (if you have to)

I hope this helps folks to maintain their vans easier. After you get your plug(s) out, tighten them with 14 ft-lbs, and it won't take two hands to loosen it. And don't wait so long either.....maintain your Vanagon.

bokonon42 Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:02 pm

Thanks, ordered.
Do you have a recommended magnet plug to use?
thanks
-terry

Gnarlodious Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:04 pm

I find it is easier to drop the linkage.

Sodo Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:10 pm

The long magnet VW oil drain plug is part# 091301141
Van Cafe has it for $9.90 www.van-cafe.com/magnetic-drain-plug
It fits exactly the same in the oil filler hole.

Gnarlodious wrote: I find it is easier to drop the linkage.

You are correct, but you have that ability. And unbolting the linkage you can lube it too, for slick shifting. And your drainplug is probably NOT stuck, right? Because you maintain your van.

But one thing at a time. 95% of vanagon owners don't go under the van EVER. And their transaxle is OLD .like. 30 years old. It may have newer bearings, but all the gears and shafts and hubs are OLD. If they can just add the task of maintaining gear oil, things will be better.

shagginwagon83 Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:34 pm

I have this job to do soon. I didn't realize it was such a PITA to get to. It looks like I should take the time to install a Van Cafe shift-fix-kit and drop the linkage.

Thanks for the post OP. I'll pick one up

Vanagon Nut Mon Jan 29, 2018 1:38 pm

Sodo wrote:

.... your drainplug is probably NOT stuck, right? Because you maintain your van.

But one thing at a time. 95% of vanagon owners don't go under the van EVER. And their transaxle is OLD .like. 30 years old.

Neat tool. Thanks. I'd guess someone would have to screw up pretty bad (and-or is dealing a totally frozen fill plug) but being able to put inward pressure on that hex tool to keep it seated, while turning it with the box-end wrench, could be of great assistance.

As has been mentioned many times I'm sure, one should check that their fill plug can be removed before draining the oil.

Neil.

VicVan Mon Jan 29, 2018 2:17 pm

I assume this also works for an automatic ?

Paulbeard Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:29 pm

Vanagon Nut wrote:
Neat tool. Thanks. I'd guess someone would have to screw up pretty bad (and-or is dealing a totally frozen fill plug) but being able to put inward pressure on that hex tool to keep it seated, while turning it with the box-end wrench, could be of great assistance.

Someone (Steve M?) was able to reach his fill plug thru the wheel well: that would be the way to go if you can do it.

And what's this $16/gal gear oil? That ain't SWEPCO…

dhaavers Mon Jan 29, 2018 6:58 pm

^^^
:wink: :wink: :wink:

- Dave

PS: Sodo's tool suggestion looks very good...if it could also fit in the DRAIN plug position it would be perfect! :?

Paulbeard Mon Jan 29, 2018 7:51 pm

dhaavers wrote:

PS: Sodo's tool suggestion looks very good...if it could also fit in the DRAIN plug position it would be perfect! :?

I don't see why it wouldn't. If the homebrew jammed nut tool works, so would this.

dhaavers Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:07 pm

Unfortunately I'm dealing with my PO's somewhat-kludged exhaust bracket which only
leaves me almost exactly 1-1/4" clearance directly in line with the drain plug... :roll: :roll: :roll:

Oh well...someday I'll have a nice van. How much clearance do the rest of you have there?

<shrug>

- Dave

Paulbeard Mon Jan 29, 2018 8:41 pm

dhaavers wrote:

Oh well...someday I'll have a nice van. How much clearance do the rest of you have there?

Quite a lot…

Best I don't show you the crankcase drain plug, perhaps.

Sodo Mon Jan 29, 2018 9:28 pm

dhaavers wrote: Unfortunately I'm dealing with my PO's somewhat-kludged exhaust bracket which only
leaves me almost exactly 1-1/4" clearance directly in line with the drain plug... :roll: :roll: :roll:

I made this tool about 20 years ago to remove the trans drain plug crowded by the Kennedy exhaust crossover pipe. I probably used it once (my poor tranny.... I should apologize to it, wherever it is...

I passed it on to another Vanagon owner.

Another cool tool found in theSamba images, but it's easy to make this tool with a 17mm coupling nut and a 17 box-end wrench.

Wildthings Mon Jan 29, 2018 11:11 pm

Here is my entry into the transmission tool contest. Just a 3/4 hex long nut that has been ground down on one end to fit the 17mm hex. Easily turned with either a 19mm or 3/4" wrench. Would like to find something similar out of a high alloy steel. This is my travel tool as it takes up the least room of any of the various drain plug tools I own. It of course can be used with a ratchet and socket as well.

Alaskaberrys Tue Jan 30, 2018 1:02 am

The dual approached worked for me. Fought those stupid fill plugs for hours last week. It looked like it had put up a fight before...

Took heat, loud noises, bad words and finally chopping my brand new 17mm allen up to use just as Sodo described above

Found that I could apply lots of tourqe to the 17mm hex stub with a 1/2" drive bar, but because I was not able to get perpendicular it'd slip out when I put some serious heft on it. Using another wrench flush on face did the trick. That and 24" of cheater pipe and a hammer. And heat. And more loud noises

I had chopped the allen up to try to fit under the linkage as another Samaba member had success at doing, unfortunately I couldn't match faces in the amount of available swing. Then the light bulb went off...

I did enjoy my last Santa Cruz Van-Cafe cookie tho 8)

kamzcab86 Tue Jan 30, 2018 8:58 am

VicVan wrote: I assume this also works for an automatic?

Yes. The auto trans differential fill plug is the same 17mm.

(borrowed pic)

We don't have the luxury of a drain plug, unfortunately.

At home, I use this on both the van and Cabriolet (fortunately, easy to remove on both):

Sodo's tool, or something similar, would be good to keep in my on-board tool box though. :-k

shagginwagon83 Tue Jan 30, 2018 9:18 am

Alaskaberrys wrote:
I did enjoy my last Santa Cruz Van-Cafe cookie tho 8)

What!?! you got a dr. midnight cookie!! I never got one of those. I'm so jealous :cry:

Alaskaberrys Tue Jan 30, 2018 12:08 pm

shagginwagon83 wrote: ...
What!?! you got a dr. midnight cookie!! I never got one of those. I'm so jealous :cry:

I was really torn - enjoy it after battling those stupid bungs all day or tape it to the wall for posterity. That internal argument was going through my head as I ate it.... :roll:

I should listed it on the Samba to buy more cool VW shit :D

Jake de Villiers Tue Jan 30, 2018 2:35 pm

Alaskaberrys wrote: I was really torn - enjoy it after battling those stupid bungs all day or tape it to the wall for posterity. That internal argument was going through my head as I ate it.... :roll:

I should listed it on the Samba to buy more cool VW shit :D

:D :D LOL!!!

jhax Mon Mar 14, 2022 2:58 pm

So I attempted to loosen fill plug with no luck. I think I will have to weld a bolt to it. However, does anyone have any insight as to whether I can remove the reverse light switch, or perhaps the bolt on top of the trans that hold in the shift shaft and add oil through there?

Thank you,
Justin