TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: NGK BP6ET Spark Plugs: Wires Won't Connect?
tmart Wed Jan 31, 2018 4:59 pm

I feel like an idiot, but I can't get my new spark plug wires onto my new NGK BP6ET plugs. :x

I saw someone else mention the same issue on a different thread but no one responded to that post. Anyone know what I'm doing wrong?

djkeev Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:02 pm

Remove the aliminum spark plug end. Just grab it with a pair if pliers and rotate counter clockwise.

The wires clip onto the threaded stud, not the fancy machined end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spark+plug+end&...4iotpyGVM:

Dave

tmart Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:03 pm

Man thesamba is magic, first I post about my oil pressure valve plug fix and it breaks immediately after.

Now I post about this and figure it out right when I go try again. For anyone else that comes across the same issue, there's a cover on the spark plug terminal that covers threads. Then you can just screw on the wire.

djkeev Wed Jan 31, 2018 5:08 pm

tmart wrote: Man thesamba is magic, first I post about my oil pressure valve plug fix and it breaks immediately after.

Now I post about this and figure it out right when I go try again. For anyone else that comes across the same issue, there's a cover on the spark plug terminal that covers threads. Then you can just screw on the wire.

No, don't screw on the wire, just push.

Dave

dhaavers Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:40 pm

djkeev wrote: Remove the aliminum spark plug end. Just grab it with a pair if pliers and rotate counter clockwise...
Whoop, there it is!

:wink:

- Dave

kamzcab86 Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:43 pm

djkeev wrote: Remove the aluminum spark plug end. Just grab it with a pair if pliers and rotate counter clockwise.

AKA, terminal nut. :wink:

SteveMc Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:49 pm

kamzcab86 wrote: djkeev wrote: Remove the aluminum spark plug end. Just grab it with a pair if pliers and rotate counter clockwise.

AKA, terminal nut. :wink:
Easy there!! He’s a bit of a nut but I don’t think it’s terminal.

kamzcab86 Wed Jan 31, 2018 6:52 pm

SteveMc wrote: Easy there!! He’s a bit of a nut but I don’t think it’s terminal.

To be fair, I think it's terminal for all of us...

tmart Wed Jan 31, 2018 7:51 pm

Man Dave, you responded quick. And yes, I learned you just push and don't screw pretty soon after posting. Sitting there screwing and still being able to pop off the wire was getting pretty annoying. I tried an embarrassing number of times to get the threads to mesh. Guess it's terminal for me too....

E1 Wed Jan 31, 2018 8:16 pm

You've arrived at the Terminal, Welcome!

Don't feel too bad, when we bought our bus we thought it was a Dodge. :wink:

ezmass Tue Feb 22, 2022 3:43 pm

Thank you Dave! This post just saved me from going crazy.

djkeev wrote: Remove the aliminum spark plug end. Just grab it with a pair if pliers and rotate counter clockwise.

The wires clip onto the threaded stud, not the fancy machined end.

https://www.google.com/search?q=spark+plug+end&...4iotpyGVM:

Dave

[email protected] Tue Sep 27, 2022 7:20 pm

I just bought my 1991 Vanagon GL and found that the engine felt like it was occasionally misfiring, like perhaps one of the spark plugs got wet. Shuddering and such, and I was checking the spark plug wires. I found that they felt loose over the ends of the spark plugs and found that the terminal nuts were removed from all my spark plugs.
The wires will not fit my new spark plugs, but I don't really want to take the terminal nuts off because the wires don't feel like they make a good enough connection with the spark plugs?!

Is there any way to get spark plug wires that will fit my new spark plugs with the terminal nuts left on?

Wildthings Tue Sep 27, 2022 10:36 pm

[email protected] wrote: I just bought my 1991 Vanagon GL and found that the engine felt like it was occasionally misfiring, like perhaps one of the spark plugs got wet. Shuddering and such, and I was checking the spark plug wires. I found that they felt loose over the ends of the spark plugs and found that the terminal nuts were removed from all my spark plugs.
The wires will not fit my new spark plugs, but I don't really want to take the terminal nuts off because the wires don't feel like they make a good enough connection with the spark plugs?!

Is there any way to get spark plug wires that will fit my new spark plugs with the terminal nuts left on?

With the nuts removed you should be able to feel the wire ends slide down over the threads on the ends of the plugs.

jlrftype7 Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:02 am

[email protected] wrote: I just bought my 1991 Vanagon GL and found that the engine felt like it was occasionally misfiring, like perhaps one of the spark plugs got wet. Shuddering and such, and I was checking the spark plug wires. I found that they felt loose over the ends of the spark plugs and found that the terminal nuts were removed from all my spark plugs.

Is there any way to get spark plug wires that will fit my new spark plugs with the terminal nuts left on? A '91 will, or should have ,the later style PIN ends that connect to the Dist Cap and the Coil, versus the earlier style wires that had the traditional push terminals.
The spark plug ends still just slide down the threads of the plug, with the terminal ends removed, at this part, both the early and later plug wires grab the plug threads the same way. A Really Aftermarket set that someone put in the engine might have needed a different set-up with the spark plugs, but the stock versions don't. :-k :-k
If your plug wires are so worn that you think they're not grabbing the threads of the spark plug, it's time for new wires, since a loose connection will just get worse with arcing. BUT, even new wires might feel 'loose' to you if you're not used to the internal grab/connect system on the stock wires versus some other plug wire that required the terminal nut to stay on a Spark Plug. It IS a different feel with the wire on the plug, a bit more 'wiggle' than maybe you think should be there.
Can you add a picture of both one of your spark plugs and the wire end of the plug wire that's loose on you?

do.dah Wed Sep 28, 2022 6:07 am

I've often thought that the way our factory wires set onto the sparkplugs with out the terminal nuts, was less than ideal. Factory wires just get contact on the ridges of the sparkplug terminal threads, whereas wires that snap onto the terminal nuts, seem more secure and have greater contact surface.
You use to be able to get sparkplug wire kits that you could cut and assemble to fit to whatever specific vehicle you were working on. IDK if those kinda kits are still available.
The problem I almost always had with those kits, is you would get a lot of stray voltage arcing from either the dizzy or most often the sparkplug ends, causing misses. You can easily ID that situation by looking at your running engine in a dark area, either at night or in a garage.

dhaavers Wed Sep 28, 2022 8:11 am

@smorales: In response to your question, I vote for treating yourself to a new set of plugs,
stock wires, dizzy cap & rotor which you should do anyway on a new-to-you van.

Who knows what abuse has been foisted on the old girl…treat her right! 8)

- Dave