TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Vanistan oil cooler and pushrod tube shield install Page: Previous  1, 2
atomatom Sat Aug 25, 2018 9:16 am

as a pleased owner of the cooler on my 1.9, i have one question. if i did want to add an oil temp gauge, where could i add it? on the 1.9 it is already pretty cramped down by the sandwich plate. i wondered about putting a temp sensor at the cooler input. i would have loved to have put a temp sender in the oil pressure relief plug, and bought such a sender, but alas, wrong size for the wbx. (edit: and perhaps putting a wire on the bottom of the engine is a dumb idea)

i also wonder about putting a fan on my cooler. i love driving hwy 3, but some of these passes generate a lot of heat. crawling up these hills at 80km, sometime 60km, and i wonder if more airflow could cool it more. granted, i only do this a few times a year, so it more on the wish list than a deep need.
https://www2.gov.bc.ca/gov/content/transportation/...elevations

Aryana Sat Aug 25, 2018 2:25 pm

hellenic vanagon wrote:

The reception of the combustion air, for a rear engine car, is susceptible to the front wheels bombardment of dust particles.

This is the reason for this accessory, suggested especially as a part of the "desert" grand raid package:



Another use of this snorkel is the traditional use of a snorkel which is the increased ability to travel into flooded roads.

hellenic vanagon wrote: Of course, a car which is coming from the next century, (as you can see here:http://www.vwsyncro.eu/p/t3-is-coming.html), it is not, ever, possible to be equipped with a common, ugly and increasing the air resistance snorkel, like this:
,

but a stealth one, based on the inertia cleaning principle, (as the front fresh air intake for the heater), optimized for the highest air pressure point intake, with cyclonic inertia box dust trap, (usually), which will have no aesthetic or aerodynamic ill effect, exactly that it is on your Syncro.

Do you realize this Vanistan kit seals the D-pillar so that 100% of the intake air comes from the same D-pillar vent that the OE snorkel takes its air from?

If you’re trekking through Baja on dirt roads get a real snorkel. That situation is not applicable to 99.9% of Vanagon miles traveled.

But you must be a hard core off road Vanagon person that spends the majority of your time off pavement, huh?

hellenic vanagon Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:56 am

Aryana wrote: hellenic vanagon wrote:

The reception of the combustion air, for a rear engine car, is susceptible to the front wheels bombardment of dust particles.

This is the reason for this accessory, suggested especially as a part of the "desert" grand raid package:



Another use of this snorkel is the traditional use of a snorkel which is the increased ability to travel into flooded roads.

hellenic vanagon wrote: Of course, a car which is coming from the next century, (as you can see here:http://www.vwsyncro.eu/p/t3-is-coming.html), it is not, ever, possible to be equipped with a common, ugly and increasing the air resistance snorkel, like this:
,

but a stealth one, based on the inertia cleaning principle, (as the front fresh air intake for the heater), optimized for the highest air pressure point intake, with cyclonic inertia box dust trap, (usually), which will have no aesthetic or aerodynamic ill effect, exactly that it is on your Syncro.

Do you realize this Vanistan kit seals the D-pillar so that 100% of the intake air comes from the same D-pillar vent that the OE snorkel takes its air from?

If you’re trekking through Baja on dirt roads get a real snorkel. That situation is not applicable to 99.9% of Vanagon miles traveled.

But you must be a hard core off road Vanagon person that spends the majority of your time off pavement, huh?

#1 You are right. I didn't notice that the air duct is connected to a sealed plate so the air is still coming through the d pillar. Nice design/construction.

#2 It seems in that way, that it is possible to connect the snorkel too. Is that right?

#3 The question is only about the possibility for the water to enter if the snorkel is not used, in the case of fording through deep water.

#4 I am interested in the optimization of the systems as a foresee for any case, independently of the actual use, especially when this is offered for free.

tencentlife Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:05 am

hellenic vanagon wrote:
#2 It seems in that way, that it is possible to connect the snorkel too. Is that right?
...
#4 I am interested in the optimization of the systems as a foresee for any case, independently of the actual use, especially when this is offered for free.

My Deluxe oil cooler kit, the fan-equipped version, uses high-quality rubber duct hose to connect between the stock snorkel duct hose and the air cleaner box or cyclone dust separator, so when installed the intake air tract is unchanged from a stock Syncro or 2.1 2WD. You can see the intake duct routing here:

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/deluxe-oil-cooler-kit/

For a Syncro you must use the Deluxe kit anyway, the Basic kit can't fit a Syncro because of the fuel filler tube.

So if, as you said, your wish is to have every system optimised for any potential use, my Deluxe kit does the trick. The fan assist does work a lot during low-speed offroading.

My Basic oil cooler kit doesn't connect to the stock intake snorkel hose on 2.1 2WD's, and the US 1.9's never had an intake snorkel anyway. The snorkel was added to 2.1 2WD vans in '86 not for fording water, obviously, but to lower intake noise at WOT, a marginal effect few drivers would ever notice when it's removed (how many 1.9 drivers complain of intake noise?). Because the Basic kit doesn't have a fan to boost airflow thru the pillar duct, removing the unused duct hose there enlarges the sectional area for free airflow to maximise the Basic cooler's effectiveness. The air intake port on the Basic kit is also 5.5" (140mm) above the cavity floor, placing it much higher than the ignition distributor, and it's well blocked off from the engine bay proper, so your engine would be killed by the distributor flooding well before there was any chance of water entering the intake.

The reason you can get away with fording deep water anyway is there is a large surface depression around and under the rear of the vehicle caused by the displacement of water into the bow wave pushed in front of the vehicle. This form is maintained as long as the vehicle maintains forward motion. If the vehicle stops, then water can find its own level, and if it's higher than the rim of the ignition distributor, you're literally dead in the water, Charlie.

tencentlife Sun Aug 26, 2018 7:14 am

atomatom wrote: if i did want to add an oil temp gauge, where could i add it?

There's no easy place on a 1.9, you have to get creative.

Quote: i also wonder about putting a fan on my cooler. i love driving hwy 3, but some of these passes generate a lot of heat. crawling up these hills at 80km, sometime 60km

At those speeds the Basic oil cooler is still doing a fine job managing oil temp. Your heat is being generated by load in that case, and the water cooling system is easily managing that, unless you've let it fall into disrepair.

hellenic vanagon Sun Aug 26, 2018 9:44 am

tencentlife wrote: hellenic vanagon wrote:
#2 It seems in that way, that it is possible to connect the snorkel too. Is that right?
...
#4 I am interested in the optimization of the systems as a foresee for any case, independently of the actual use, especially when this is offered for free.

My Deluxe oil cooler kit, the fan-equipped version, uses high-quality rubber duct hose to connect between the stock snorkel duct hose and the air cleaner box or cyclone dust separator, so when installed the intake air tract is unchanged from a stock Syncro or 2.1 2WD. You can see the intake duct routing here:

https://intrepidoverland.com/shop/deluxe-oil-cooler-kit/

For a Syncro you must use the Deluxe kit anyway, the Basic kit can't fit a Syncro because of the fuel filler tube.

So if, as you said, your wish is to have every system optimised for any potential use, my Deluxe kit does the trick. The fan assist does work a lot during low-speed offroading.

My Basic oil cooler kit doesn't connect to the stock intake snorkel hose on 2.1 2WD's, and the US 1.9's never had an intake snorkel anyway. The snorkel was added to 2.1 2WD vans in '86 not for fording water, obviously, but to lower intake noise at WOT, a marginal effect few drivers would ever notice when it's removed (how many 1.9 drivers complain of intake noise?). Because the Basic kit doesn't have a fan to boost airflow thru the pillar duct, removing the unused duct hose there enlarges the sectional area for free airflow to maximise the Basic cooler's effectiveness. The air intake port on the Basic kit is also 5.5" (140mm) above the cavity floor, placing it much higher than the ignition distributor, and it's well blocked off from the engine bay proper, so your engine would be killed by the distributor flooding well before there was any chance of water entering the intake.

The reason you can get away with fording deep water anyway is there is a large surface depression around and under the rear of the vehicle caused by the displacement of water into the bow wave pushed in front of the vehicle. This form is maintained as long as the vehicle maintains forward motion. If the vehicle stops, then water can find its own level, and if it's higher than the rim of the ignition distributor, you're literally dead in the water, Charlie.

#1 There is no especially loud noise from the air intake in a far rear engine
car, even more when the outer of the engine bay is so much populated with insulating materials, furniture and seats.

#2 The reason of the existence of the specific snorkel is not to avoid liquid water entrance into the air intake, since the driver's nose is sitting lower, (without
any snorkel, usually).

The snorkel in a t3 is to eliminate:
a)The clouds of the dust particles which are emitted by the front wheels.
b)The water spray during raining or water fording.

This is the reason it is that high and having it's entrance on the opposite direction of the car's movement, when it's shape and position is optimized for the inertial rejection of the dust particles, as well as, to take advantage
of the highest air pressure point into the d pillar.

Aryana Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:09 am

hellenic vanagon wrote:
#1 There is no especially loud noise from the air intake in a far rear engine
car, even more when the outer of the engine bay is so much populated with insulating materials, furniture and seats.

#2 The reason of the existence of the specific snorkel is not to avoid liquid water entrance into the air intake, since the driver's nose is sitting lower, (without
any snorkel, usually).

The snorkel in a t3 is to eliminate:
a)The clouds of the dust particles which are emitted by the front wheels.
b)The water spray during raining or water fording.

This is the reason it is that high and having it's entrance on the opposite direction of the car's movement, when it's shape and position is optimized for the inertial rejection of the dust particles, as well as, to take advantage
of the highest air pressure point into the d pillar.

What's your goal here? Everything you're posting is unrelated to the topic of showcasing the Vanistan oil cooler and pushrod tube shield installation.

I'm willing to bet you don't own a Vanistan oil cooler kit and you're just trying to discredit the product by posting here. Why?...I'm not sure.

Either you think you're protecting other van owners by telling them not to buy this product or you are trying to purposely harm his sales for some other reason.

I politely suggest you start your own thread/topic on the importance of a snorkel instead of trying to derail this one to dissuade others from his products.

hellenic vanagon Sun Aug 26, 2018 10:28 am

Aryana wrote: hellenic vanagon wrote:
#1 There is no especially loud noise from the air intake in a far rear engine
car, even more when the outer of the engine bay is so much populated with insulating materials, furniture and seats.

#2 The reason of the existence of the specific snorkel is not to avoid liquid water entrance into the air intake, since the driver's nose is sitting lower, (without
any snorkel, usually).

The snorkel in a t3 is to eliminate:
a)The clouds of the dust particles which are emitted by the front wheels.
b)The water spray during raining or water fording.

This is the reason it is that high and having it's entrance on the opposite direction of the car's movement, when it's shape and position is optimized for the inertial rejection of the dust particles, as well as, to take advantage
of the highest air pressure point into the d pillar.

What's your goal here? Everything you're posting is unrelated to the topic of showcasing the Vanistan oil cooler and pushrod tube shield installation.

I'm willing to bet you don't own a Vanistan oil cooler kit and you're just trying to discredit the product by posting here. Why?...I'm not sure.

Either you think you're protecting other van owners by telling them not to buy this product or you are trying to purposely harm his sales for some other reason.

I politely suggest you start your own thread/topic on the importance of a snorkel instead of trying to derail this one to dissuade others from his products.

#1 I am very happy that there is an aftermarket creation of new products for the, unique, t3.

#2 As I can see from the photos and from the explanations these products are perfect.

#3 There was a theoretical discussion about the t3's snorkel and nothing more.

#4 I wish you/him to have great success with these and all other products since the t3, and especially the Syncro, deserves the respect of the present and of the coming generations.

(As you can understand you are knocking the wrong door).

Be happy and good luck with great-great success.

Your friendly Syncronaut.

tencentlife Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:14 pm

HV, I'm glad you like the oil cooler kits and took the time to understand better how they're set up. There's some cultural, translation, or maybe just stylistic differences that make your statements seem overly-critical, but I know from your other posts over the years that you are just a very dedicated Syncro enthusiast. Since we're brothers in that regard, I think we can overlook those details.

dhaavers Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:23 pm

x2

Granted, HV is a hardcore Syncronaut & I make a concerted effort to
understand his English, but I still get confused sometimes... :oops:

I'll keep taking things in the best light possible until proven otherwise... :wink:

- Dave

hellenic vanagon Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:44 pm

tencentlife wrote: HV, I'm glad you like the oil cooler kits and took the time to understand better how they're set up. There's some cultural, translation, or maybe just stylistic differences that make your statements seem overly-critical, but I know from your other posts over the years that you are just a very dedicated Syncro enthusiast. Since we're brothers in that regard, I think we can overlook those details.

Everything you say is correct.

Thank you.

hellenic vanagon Sun Aug 26, 2018 12:45 pm

dhaavers wrote: x2

Granted, HV is a hardcore Syncronaut & I make a concerted effort to
understand his English, but I still get confused sometimes... :oops:

I'll keep taking things in the best light possible until proven otherwise... :wink:

- Dave

Thank you.

zimmermancamera Mon Oct 15, 2018 10:13 pm

I love the Vanistan oil cooler on my 91 tiptop

satchmo Wed Oct 17, 2018 11:54 am

What is the reasoning behind using the passenger side D-pillar for the oil cooler rather than the driver side? It seems like a driver side installation would involve no moving of the air intake snorkel or the idle control unit, plus there wouldn't be the need for oil lines draped over the top of the engine.

What am I missing?

Satchmo

RoryGirl Wed Oct 17, 2018 12:28 pm

satchmo wrote: What is the reasoning behind using the passenger side D-pillar for the oil cooler rather than the driver side? It seems like a driver side installation would involve no moving of the air intake snorkel or the idle control unit, plus there wouldn't be the need for oil lines draped over the top of the engine.

What am I missing?

Satchmo

Pretty sure it's because the AC lines go through the driver's side. I could be wrong.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group