TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is the New Beetle's time up? Page: Previous  1, 2, 3
Patty B. Thu Mar 08, 2018 11:23 am

Swan song new Beetle, the new VW heritage vehicle is the bus (Buzz):
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/03/07/vw-new-beetle-discontinued/

oprn Sun Mar 11, 2018 9:30 pm

The first re-make of the Beetle was just a huge disappointment to me mainly due to the looks of the thing. You had to stretch your imagination quite a bit to see the resemblance. This latest offering is much better in fact I was in a VW dealership last year and looking at a convertible. Now I am not a new car buyer, I have only bought 1 new car in 40 years of driving but I was seriously tempted by this new Bug!

...until the salesman told me they were not available with standard shift transmissions!!!

...couldn't get out of there fast enough... wanted to puke... :shock:

ps2375 Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:07 pm

I was at our local dealer killing time this last weekend. When asked what we needed, the answer was manual tranny. His reply was, I think we have one, but it is a diesel, we didn't even look, cause it was either and old VW or not even a VW. We just laughed and left.

APPLEGREENVW Mon Mar 12, 2018 8:50 pm

oprn wrote: The first re-make of the Beetle was just a huge disappointment to me mainly due to the looks of the thing. You had to stretch your imagination quite a bit to see the resemblance. This latest offering is much better in fact I was in a VW dealership last year and looking at a convertible. Now I am not a new car buyer, I have only bought 1 new car in 40 years of driving but I was seriously tempted by this new Bug!

...until the salesman told me they were not available with standard shift transmissions!!!

...couldn't get out of there fast enough... wanted to puke... :shock:

:lol:

APPLEGREENVW Mon Mar 12, 2018 9:04 pm

https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/2/2...peyton.JPG
https://upload.wikimedia.org/wikipedia/commons/f/f...peyton.JPG

:-&

ps2375 Tue Mar 13, 2018 11:42 am

At least there are no eye lashes.

ach60 Wed Mar 14, 2018 9:12 pm

1998 - 2018 was a pretty good run

The White 1999 NB 2nd from the left was mine, this photo is from the VW Classic.
This car was tons of fun, lots of power with the 1.8T, 5 speed, and I upgraded the suspension and brakes.
The Tan 2005 NB Convertible again with the 1.8T, 5 speed is much more reliable than the '99.
Sorry to see the end, again.

oprn Sun Mar 18, 2018 6:36 am

I loved my old Bugs, I liked my Rabbit, I love my Jetta TDIs but have never driven a New Beetle. I suspect they are no different to drive than a Jetta with no connection to the Beetle once you are inside the car.

The old Bug would never survive the new generation of drivers with modern expectations. It was never a drive and ignore car, it had a personality that demanded constant attention and spending to give you that satisfaction of experiancing a unique car.

Not unlike a good lady... :shock: :lol:

Hmmm... maybe that explains the divorce rate! :wink:

Patty B. Fri Mar 23, 2018 12:19 pm

Seems the New New Beetle will continued to be built for the American market for a while still:
https://www.autoblog.com/amp/2018/03/22/vw-beetle-not-dead-yet/

Seems to me they should keep the convertible model going world wide like they did the convertible Beetle and Rabbit--it should be a good seller.

oprn Sun Mar 25, 2018 4:53 am

Of all the VWs I have had I have never owned a convertible Beetle. It is something I would still like to have and the newest one actually does resemble the original enough for my tastes. However if it is only offered with an automatic transmission I will not buy one. I buy small sporty driving cars because I like to work the peddles myself. I am not disabled nor old enough to require an automatic!

Yet...

79SuperVert Sun Mar 25, 2018 10:37 am

When I was looking for a convertible Beetle my choice was between a vintage air cooled and the New Beetle. Aside from the New Beetle costing 4 times what I could get a vintage one for, the rear seat in the New Beetle was not suitable for adults, and its backrest looked impossibly upright to be comfortable for any length of time, compared to the vintage vert, whose back seat was spacious and comfortable for two adults. The decision was easy. :D

droopync Mon Jun 11, 2018 11:56 pm

I have a 2003 1.8 turbo beetle and a 68 beetle and i dig both for what they are. wish the new gen would be a lot smaller that would be a good start.rwd drive would be ideal. fwds not all bad though,,pulls niceee. but yeah smaller would be much more fun.

Abscate Mon Jun 25, 2018 4:26 am

droopync wrote: I have a 2003 1.8 turbo beetle and a 68 beetle and i dig both for what they are. wish the new gen would be a lot smaller that would be a good start.rwd drive would be ideal. fwds not all bad though,,pulls niceee. but yeah smaller would be much more fun.

I bought my only two new cars , and one was a 2003 1.8 turbo convertible NB. Still running and enjoying it. 30 mpg, comfortable on a three hour work run, good heat and traction in winter, great AC summer.

I really should change its timing belt though