TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Miata long travel kit
greggl4321 Fri Feb 16, 2018 4:32 pm

There is a long travel kit for the Miata, what are some peoples thoughts on it? Would this be better than a Baja bug? Could someone explain up travel? Is it more important than downward travel? Could someone explain where I may be confused?

Taking a day off, possibly. Starting to feel tired from studying, don't want to burn out.

ach60 Sun Feb 18, 2018 11:20 pm

https://www.facebook.com/groups/1301386303223993/
Miata Karts Of 'Murica a Public Group on Facebook may be able t help you.

djkeev Mon Feb 19, 2018 6:56 am

So you want to go "4 Wheeling" in your Miata??

If you do this, have you thought about how your highway handling will be affected?

Where do you drive the most?

Dave

greggl4321 Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:28 pm

I don't have a Miata, I've seen one with a long travel kit on it, and I was just wondering a few things.

In general, I was wondering if someone could tell me about the Miata and as a long travel vehicle. Is it a good platform for long travel?

A lot of my ideas are just that, ideas, I like to read and think about cars in my free time, as a hobby. Until I find that perfect one I guess.

djkeev Mon Feb 19, 2018 9:46 pm

I've had the Miata.

It is a perfect blend of fun British sports cars and Asain engineering. Dependable fun ........ with a measure of safety and Air Conditioning.

It is extremely low, a very short wheel base and has much less than wonderful traction once road conditions become less than ideal.

Possibly the WORST car on snow and ice that I've ever driven! There simply is no weight over the drive wheels.

I cannot imagine it would be very good on muddy logging roads or similar rural paths, even if raised for clearance.

Dave

ach60 Mon Feb 19, 2018 10:38 pm

I've got enough seat time in a buddy's Miata to know it's a well balanced car.
Why would a well balanced car be shitty in the snow, mud, or wet weather?
I'd say tires don't match the application.

Cali_Army_Guy Tue Apr 03, 2018 9:41 pm

https://youtu.be/E0qFNDYMpKQ

Hoonigan has an episode with a long travel Miata. Also has an off road Porsche 912 in that episode.