TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Kelley Park 2018 - April 22, 2018, San Jose, CA
Solomon Grundy Thu Mar 15, 2018 9:25 pm

Registration is now open, only 300 spots and the last few years it filled in 2 days. Join us 🤙
http://www.ggcvvwca.org/index.php/kelley-park

Solomon Grundy Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:50 am

Limited edition stickers Hot off the presses & ready for Kelley Park 2018 🤙
RIP Stephen Hawking you made quite an impression on the universe 🕳️

Solomon Grundy Fri Mar 16, 2018 11:52 am

Kelley Park 2018 = REGISTRATION IS FULL!!! WOW that was fast! :shock:

http://www.ggcvvwca.org/index.php/kelley-park

Cali_Army_Guy Sat Mar 24, 2018 7:33 pm

Yep I won’t be going. Logged on the day after registration opened to see there was no more spots. Oh well I guess.

pb_foots Tue Mar 27, 2018 10:03 pm

Why can't you just go anyway?

I'll be driving over with my boy. We're missing all the So Cal events, I'm not missing this one too!

reay Thu Apr 12, 2018 12:32 pm

I registered one of my cars, but now I due to circumstances, may have to take a different one. Does that matter??

BulliBill Wed Apr 18, 2018 8:50 pm

I'm hopping on an AA 737-800 in St. Louis to fly out to the SFO Bay Area on Thursday morning to enjoy all of the long Kelley Park weekend festivities! I can't wait to see everyone and all of the incredible old VWs! I volunteer to staff at the KP Meet, so you'll probably see me directing incoming traffic towards their show class parking spaces from 7-9 am.

Bill Bowman

Morganwerk Sat Apr 21, 2018 1:01 pm

BulliBill wrote: I'm hopping on an AA 737-800 in St. Louis to fly out to the SFO Bay Area on Thursday morning to enjoy all of the long Kelley Park weekend festivities! I can't wait to see everyone and all of the incredible old VWs! I volunteer to staff at the KP Meet, so you'll probably see me directing incoming traffic towards their show class parking spaces from 7-9 am.

Bill Bowman

I'll keep an eye out for you Bill!

Thin Metal Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:34 am

Don't know if it was just me but the attendance this year seems down somewhat.

sancho58 Mon Apr 23, 2018 2:28 pm

Yeah the show was down probably 150 cars or more plus Mark Mueller car display wasn't there either some speculation is there was a lot going on in the Bay Area

EverettB Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:47 pm

How could it be 150 cars smaller when they sold out of the 300 spots?

The only thing I noticed was the low number of Split Beetles (only 1 I think?) and it was weird that there was only 1 Type 34 there.

reay Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:08 pm

EverettB wrote: How could it be 150 cars smaller when they sold out of the 300 spots?

The only thing I noticed was the low number of Split Beetles (only 1 I think?) and it was weird that there was only 1 Type 34 there.

I was registered, but for various reasons couldn't make it. Otherwise there would have been two T34s :wink: . One issue for us is that even though we only live 3 hours away, we still need to spend the night up there, then get up at 5:00 to get in line, then face that drive home. It's exhausting.

But I did really miss seeing friends and cars. And it is a nice venue.

BulliBill Fri Apr 27, 2018 2:23 pm

The Kelley Park Spring Meet was fantastic. Perfect weather, packed to the gills and I heard the gates were closed to cars at around 9:15 I think. Lots of cool cars and Buses. It was great to see Kurt and his "Funkytruck" single-Cab with his gates finished in primer (to be painted soon!). Seemed as crowded as usual to me. I directed cars toward their group parking for 2 1/2 hours as a volunteer, and also was asked to do some of the judging. Yeah, Mark only brought out their two Schwimmwagens this time so they could relax and just enjoy the show more. Kimball Rich's beautiful grey Standard Oval won "Best of Show".

Thanks to all of the other event volunteers and to the members of the Golden Gate Chapter of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America for getting us all together for the season opener each year for decades now! For me it is worth flying out for a long Bay Area weekend from Missouri each year.

Bill

crofty Tue May 01, 2018 3:14 pm

EverettB wrote: How could it be 150 cars smaller when they sold out of the 300 spots?

It seemed smaller to me too and as you mentioned a lot less bugs and ghia's for sure.

The swap seemed a lot smaller to me as well.

BadStorms Tue May 08, 2018 8:28 am

Great show! Shot some video while I was enjoying my day: https://youtu.be/GtgZJpia__k

Busstom Sat Aug 25, 2018 5:06 pm

I'm beginning to wonder if the "fix" is in on this show. The KP page of the Golden Gate chapter said that registration would be open "around March 15." Around? How weak is that statement? Then the next line said registration would open on the 15th. But I logged-on on the 15th and it replied that registration wasn't open yet. Log on the morning of the 16th and registration is full! WTF.

And 300 cars? Not really, not to us outsiders. Cuz the insiders (club members and friends thereof) are FOR SURE getting in. So after all that, how many of us outsiders will really be let in?

And how many register, but "for various reasons" don't show up? Then it's first-come first-served for the unregistered folk.

As for the turnout being smaller this past time: No way... full of cars, and probably as many people as I've ever seen there.