TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Let the process of saving 2222069996 begin Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8
malcolm2 Tue Feb 23, 2021 9:14 pm

and after the 1st coat of POR plus a bit of ruffing it up for the 2nd coat.

outside view.

inside view. more slathering to come.

malcolm2 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:07 am

A permanent temporary fix for the drivers door. As I mentioned, I cleaned the rust and used the POR-15 marine clean and metal ready prep. Then 1 coat of POR-15, a bit of ruffing up and a 2nd coat of POR-15 and a couple layers of tight mesh fiberglass. I call it a hippie fix.

I will own and drive this bus, so I will monitor the fix, see how long it lasts. The last step will be to ruff it up and smooth out the fiberglass, then go with a high quality top coat. More pix on that soon.

malcolm2 Sun Feb 28, 2021 11:13 am

Other work this weekend has been to slide the vinyl seat coverings on.

BTW I also added seat heaters to the seat and back rest. No complete pix yet. I ordered, and have not received the rubber top seat rail pads from Sewfine. So once they arrive I will be done. This passenger side seat btm looks damn good to me.

For fun I slipped the back on for a quick picture.

But this one is ready with the heat pad for the seat back.

malcolm2 Mon May 10, 2021 9:58 am

I have been drag-assing around with the paint.... but I think I am satisfied.

I bought automotive paint with activator..... I have been painting with a brush and a foam roller. Coverage is good, and sometimes the finish is good, but mostly it is not good.

So I sanded the color using 800 or even 1000 grit. Got most of the issues knocked out. Then I went with automotive clear again with activator. Great improvement on the finish. So that is my plan for the rest of the Bus.

Doors are done....

And body has 1 maybe 2 good coats of color. So that remains, as well as some touch-up on the interior side of the doors. Remember, this is gonna be a driver.

malcolm2 Mon May 10, 2021 10:00 am

I bought one of those plates to make a Fuel Tank Sender access door. That is now done....

Not to mention, the new tank is installed and fully connected.... New Filler hose, fresh vent hose connectors, new sending unit, new strap down pads too.

malcolm2 Sun Aug 15, 2021 6:01 am

New job, hot weather, long leadtime back orders, missing parts, mis-placed parts, indecision Ö whatever else has not motivated me too much. But things are getting done.

I mounted the passenger door, door seal & Latches, mirror and found some wide stick on trim ! It is a deluxe by the way. And the sliding door with latches and seal. The headlights, blinkers, fresh air screen, front bumper and front emblem. Rear blinkers too.

geopanoramic Sun Aug 15, 2021 11:20 am

very impressive. Man, starting with the tank... omg. Group me too.....!

malcolm2 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:11 am

Headliner work....

I will say that i found only one post that says to start at the rear.... makes total sense tho. you use the very short bow and poke these pointy triangles into the fabric leaving the bow to hold the rear of the headliner while you pull the front towards the front. THIS POST page four way down. I will copy and paste the wording. Brilliant.

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=...p;start=60

malcolm2 Sat Sep 04, 2021 8:19 am

PostPosted: Mon Nov 24, 2014 6:08 pm Post subject: Reply with quote Report this post to Moderator/Admin.
steve~

that thread is the biggest piece of trash on the samba when it comes to headliner installation. I would LOVE to see how any of their headliners turned out.

start:
B,C,D posts (vertical)

then your window sills (horizontal)

insert bows in proper order

hook it in the REAR. at the ANCHOR BOW. the one with the foolish sharp spotwelded triangles.

with your headliner rolled up, hook the rear to the abovementioned location. while you have the rolled headliner in your hand, reaching through the windows that aren't there, have your buddy hook the bows in position.

when you hit the windshield, clip to frame. now admire your saggy ass diaper.

pull like your life depends on it till you get to the windshield, adjusting bows as needed.

get to the very front bow and say fuck. the headliner is made 3" off. remove front bow, cut about 1/8" off of it and keep trimming till it's happy.

PULL. clip. look.

trim bow pockets till the desired "hang" is there. PULL and clip to the upper window frame, again, start in the rear, and work forward.

that is the jist of it. there is a ton more, but that will get most started.

steve, not flaming you at all and you know that.

you MUST START IN THE REAR starting at the front will not give you any chance to take up the slack in the headliner.

vwpieces said it best...they're made fast, not correct.

but, they can be made to work. I am happy (elated) with mine, but it took a lot of effort to get it there...

this is why I say that some "uniform wrinkles" or lines are acceptable back by the hinge area.

look at the profile of the rear brace

malcolm2 Sun Sep 05, 2021 8:47 am

Vent wing windows are $300 new. These are a bit holey, but worth a day or two to clean and patch. Seem to be missing a part. If i canít find one or an old super rusty frame with one, i am going without. Screw it.

The full 3 part POR-15 treatment on these. Plus a hippie fix on the holes. I added fiberglass cloth and two coats of POR.

After completely cured and super hard, i will sand away the fibers then top coat with a good flat black rattle can spray. Those pix to follow.

busdaddy Sun Sep 05, 2021 11:55 am

Wow, when you look up cheapskate in the dictionary you might see a picture of me, I like the challenge of resurrecting broken stuff some times. But you take the cake, you couldn't find better used ones in the classifieds?

malcolm2 Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:29 pm

Dude, i wrote what the next steps were. You didnít think i was leaving them like that? They cleaned up nicely. No structure here. Fiberglass and por added some strength. STILL NEED TOP COAT.

I probably could just gone with rust converter and top coat.

Next will be rattle can top coat.

I donít trust those ads with pix of four or five windows. They say 1 left. Yeah I will get one worse than mine.

busdaddy Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:46 pm

I never said you weren't doing a good job, I was just contemplating the time investment Vs: taking a chance on another one, even the ones some sellers give away for free may be a better candidate for the rehab process. :wink:

malcolm2 Sun Sep 05, 2021 2:59 pm

Maybe i should buy up those rusty out there. If they are 300 new, i could hippie fix rehab and make some bread.

malcolm2 Sat Sep 11, 2021 7:10 am

Ready for the glass...... Might just install the passenger side today.