TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: RetroSound Radios
OhHerrooo Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:08 pm

To all those that have a Retro Sound radio - how did you mount it using the stock radio surround?

andk5591 Sun Apr 22, 2018 5:39 pm

Assuming a type 3 radio is the same as a type 1, there is a video I think of how to do it on their site. You have to bend the brackets that the controls are attached to. They get bent about an inch and change from the outside end on maybe 60 degree angle. Slip the faceplate on and you need to bend it enough to pretty much meet the faceplate. This also gives you the chance to get the control position correct.

Then have someone hold it in place from the trunk side and install the faceplate. You'll probably have to tweak it a couple times. Then attach the rear support strap. I just installed another one a week or so ago. Honestly its a pain in the ass to do, but they work pretty well and look decent.

Bobnotch Mon Apr 23, 2018 9:25 am

andk5591 wrote: Assuming a type 3 radio is the same as a type 1, there is a video I think of how to do it on their site. You have to bend the brackets that the controls are attached to. They get bent about an inch and change from the outside end on maybe 60 degree angle. Slip the faceplate on and you need to bend it enough to pretty much meet the faceplate. This also gives you the chance to get the control position correct.

Then have someone hold it in place from the trunk side and install the faceplate. You'll probably have to tweak it a couple times. Then attach the rear support strap. I just installed another one a week or so ago. Honestly its a pain in the ass to do, but they work pretty well and look decent.

On a type 3, the radio is completely inside the car. It hangs off a bracket from the dash lip, and uses a weld in nut (by the wiper motor) to hold up the rear of the radio. It's completely different from a bug, bus, or ghia set up. Do a search for radio mounting bracket to help.

Erik G Mon Apr 23, 2018 10:00 am

also, read reviews from people that use their car regularly and have a retrosound. They used to be junk, not sure about currently...

andk5591 Mon Apr 23, 2018 7:17 pm

Erik G wrote: also, read reviews from people that use their car regularly and have a retrosound. They used to be junk, not sure about currently...

Have installed several and installed one in m wifes 61 8 years ago and upgraded it to the Hermosa 2 years ago. She uses the hell out of it. Was not super impressed with the first one, but it worked OK. The new one sounds MUCH better and has a little more power.

And sorry about the misinfo on the installation - never worked on a type 3.

Nikon-User Thu May 03, 2018 6:55 am

I have one in my car and using an original VW radio bracket, which I bought from a person in the US and paied a few dollars to get it to Europe...

Really looks like an original ones... only a few cable more 8)

OhHerrooo Thu Oct 22, 2020 5:05 pm

Does anyone have any photos of how they made their retrosound radio work with the stock surround? Are threads from the shaft protruding through the stock surround? With the shaft brackets all the way forward the knob mounts protrude with no shaft thread visible.

Also, where does the radio hanger strap mount to the car? I see there's a bolt near the wiper motor - is that the normal spot?

Mike Fisher Fri Oct 23, 2020 11:20 am

Aftermarket plastic AM/FM/CD mount for the notched early dash in my '69 square. I have another NOS mount like it for $100 in my stash!

https://i.imgur.com/0Af9GOu.jpg