TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wiring diagram question.
Volksronnie Sun May 06, 2018 11:13 am

Looking at the wiring diagram of my 181, there is a lead to an EFL switch.
I have looked endlessly for this missing EFL switch, but canít find it.
Give me a clue please :lol:

Banker Mon May 07, 2018 2:42 am

Go to Technical tab, wiring, thing, then you can pick one of them.

Captain Spalding Mon May 07, 2018 2:54 pm

What does EFL stand for?

Dark Earth Mon May 07, 2018 3:15 pm

My guess is emergency flasher.

Wildthings Mon May 07, 2018 6:39 pm

How about posting a picture of your wiring diagram. :wink:

Captain Spalding Mon May 07, 2018 6:42 pm

Dark Earth wrote: My guess is emergency flasher.
That's what I thought, but it's pretty hard to miss. Ronnie, how about posting a pic of your instrument panel? Also you obviously have a European version. The wiring is slightly different. If it's an ex-military version the wiring is very different.

Volksronnie Tue May 08, 2018 5:44 am

Thanks for the replies.
My first guess was the hazard flashers.....?
The fault lies in fuse number one which keeps blowing when I switch on the ignition - plus indicators and hazards have stopped working.
(a new four pin relay is currently on the way to me in the mail)
...but on fuse number one there is a green/ Black wiring leading to the EFL switch, as in the diagram below, on the output side.
Really, Iím looking for confirmation that Iím heading in the right direction.

...and yes my 181 is German manufacture, but a civilian version.

Wildthings Tue May 08, 2018 6:48 am

Both the wipers and the one power supply for the flashers come off the #1 fuse in this diagram

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.pdf

Dark Earth Tue May 08, 2018 8:43 am

Volksronnie wrote:
The fault lies in fuse number one which keeps blowing when I switch on the ignition - plus indicators and hazards have stopped working.

Wildthings wrote: Both the wipers and the one power supply for the flashers come off the #1 fuse in this diagram

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Current_Flow_Diagram_4-73.pdf

As Wildthings points out, there are three wires coming out of the output side of the fuse. I would pull and label each wire coming off the output side of the fuse and see if the fuse blows when you switch on the ignition. If it doesn't blow a fuse, one of those three wires is grounding out. If it does blow a fuse with all three wires disconnected, your problem is on the ignition switch / input side of the fuse. My guess is the windshield wiper motor is either wired wrong or shorting to ground.

Dark Earth Tue May 08, 2018 9:12 am

This type of schematic is easier for me to follow Ö

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/archives/info/wiring/181_Wiring_Diagram_4-73.pdf

Volksronnie Tue May 08, 2018 10:23 am

Thanks for the wiring info,
trying the method of removing each cable in turn to see if it blows the fuse is well worth trying.....thanks.
Unfortunately canít get back to try it out for a week, work calls. :D

Captain Spalding Tue May 08, 2018 10:40 am

Dark Earth wrote: This type of schematic is easier for me to follow Ö

The downside of that diagram is that it's not very clear what's going on with the ignition switch and the turn signal switch. Another downside is that that diagram is for the North American version of the Thing, which has some subtle differences.

Ronnie, is your car's wiper switch a knob on the dash or a stalk on the steering column?

Dark Earth Tue May 08, 2018 10:59 am

Captain Spalding wrote: Dark Earth wrote: This type of schematic is easier for me to follow Ö

The downside of that diagram is that it's not very clear what's going on with the ignition switch and the turn signal switch. Another downside is that that diagram is for the North American version of the Thing, which has some subtle differences.

Very true.

mondshine Thu May 10, 2018 7:30 am

Take a look at the body of your hazard switch behind the dash panel.
Sometimes these switches come partially apart where the tabs on the metal body of the switch are peined over the plastic base.

If this has happened, it could be the cause of the problem you describe.

abcdleines Thu May 31, 2018 7:16 pm

Your chart also says fuse 1-8 are 3 amp, as far as I know all are 8 amp fuses except number 9 which is a 16 amp. Maybe thatís why your blowing fuses only using 3 amp??? Hereís a fuse panel chart in color.