TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Need help with finding original seats 1973 Thing
Fairview Tue May 15, 2018 4:53 am

I hope you can help me with a 73 Thing. I’m the executor for a friend who died recently and part of his massive collection is a mildly modified 73 Thing. I have to sell it on behalf of the estate, but I think it will be easier to sell if I can find an original set of front seats. Would anybody be able to post what a correct set looks like? And whether other VW seats are the same or similar?

This Thing is largely original and has been in very longtime storage, but the front seats are certainly not original and look like dune buggy seats. I don’t have photos available right now, but can post soon.

Thanks very much. Jeff

nwflvw Tue May 15, 2018 6:42 am

Things have the same size seat tracks as a 71 or 72 Beetle which took high back seats. Things had low back seats which will be nearly impossible to find.
Before you buy any seats have a look to see if the original seat tracks are still welded to the floor. Vince

Fairview Tue May 15, 2018 9:25 am

Thanks Vince, that’s exactly what I needed to know. I’ll just sell it the way it is then.

Jeff

74 Thing Tue May 15, 2018 7:20 pm

Original seats are not cheap
http://www.thethingshop.com/Front/products/36/

KD90815 Tue May 15, 2018 7:51 pm

Can we please see what you're trying to sell?

Fairview Wed May 16, 2018 8:44 am

KD90815 wrote: Can we please see what you're trying to sell?

Certainly, but it will be a few days as we are traveling and the Thing is at home.