TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 110 Corvair engine in the Thing?
Metal Twister Fri May 25, 2018 12:58 pm

Years ago I gave away a reverse turning 110 Corvair engine, flywheel, and crown vw trans adaptor to a friend who was thinking about a sand car project.
I had moved on to long travel LS1 cars and thought the air cooled was way past me for ever. So the other day the phone rings and my buddy is moving out of state and has no desire to lug the engine across the country. Needless to say the 110 is back in my possession and needs to be utlized somewhere.

I like the thought of mo power, I like the thought of air cooled, I like the thought that it is running the same direction as the Volkswagen tranny. So other than a bit of whittling and a butt lift on the Thing it looks very dooable. I did find one short youtube video of an orange thing running a corvair but nothing else?

And yes I realize thet the corvair is a dated machine and there are much more refined options avaliable. But im still OLD SKOOL at heart.

I haven't been around much or made much progress as ive been wrapped up in the boat project trying desperately to have a summer toy. Once its dialed in im back on the thing. Any do’s or do nots? Insights?

Wildthings Fri May 25, 2018 2:11 pm

Back in the day, this seemed to be a desirable thing to do and even today the parts availability of the Corvair doesn't seem to be all that bad considering how few are to be seen on the roads.

AMAC1680 Sat May 26, 2018 2:47 am

Why not.
I have a Thing but I’m a buggy guy from way back and the Corvair turns up in more than a few buggies.

That said I think they were about 100-110hp. There was a late 140hp non turbo for a while. 100hp isn’t an unreasonable or unreliable VW motor so without the turbo you can get about the same power from a VW motor for a bit less cash up front. I wouldn’t personally seek one out unless it’s a turbo.

But you already have the motor so I’d stuff it in !!

AMAC

Slow 1200 Mon May 28, 2018 4:32 am

IMHO that engine belongs on a metalflake buggy or an early bus with cut-off wheel wells :lol: :lol: :lol:

EverettB Tue May 29, 2018 4:47 pm

User started another thread, let's use that one:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=700357