TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Wanting to buy split to restore need advice
wizard72 Sat May 26, 2018 2:20 pm

For years ive been wanting to get split but havent been able to afford one till now. I need advice in regards to buying one meaning what years and models would be best for investment. I havent followed the VW market for awhile. I had 2 notchbacks when I was younger and by dad still has his beetle he bought new in 1970. Some people dream of a ferrari but my dream car is a split

bakersam Sun May 27, 2018 8:07 am

Buy the best one you can afford. Don't be drawn into some basket case because the price is low. Parts are expensive as is bodywork. Unless you're incredibly talented and can do all the work yourself, you'll end up sinking more into a "fixer upper" than an already decent one would've cost you.

Decide if you want a split dash or a zwitter dash. Zwitter's will probably be less expensive, but there's a good reason for that. Both have the split window, but that's where the dash's appearance comes into play.

Also, be careful using that "investment" word. If you think you'll have it long enough to benefit from further appreciation, figure maybe you'll break even or even turn a modest buck...someday. But, let's be honest here...vintage beetles are receding in the public's mind today. The last generation who could've owned one new are now in their 60's and 70's. Later generations' recognition of, and interest in vintage beetles is diminishing. Witness the continuing decline in the prices of beautifully presented Model T's for precisely this reason.

Blue Baron Sun May 27, 2018 8:51 pm

A Model T can't be driven practically on the roads the way a Volkswagen can. I don't see Volkswagens falling out of popularity, especially as the supply continues to decline. I know plenty of people who didn't grow up with them who love them.

The OP mentioned investment potential, and then mentioned it's his dream car. If it's your dream car, then investment potential shouldn't be an issue.

An investment-grade split is one that very early, a unique model, and is museum quality, or better yet, original unrestored. In contrast, your dream car should be something you car drive and enjoy.

He also says he's wanting one to restore. The best deals are among cars that are running and driving, and as complete as possible, because a split can nickel and dime you to death. Unless it's your dream to restore your dream car and you have the skills to do it, look for one that's finished.

mdvanderploeg Mon May 28, 2018 9:45 am

Totally agree on finding one with all of the unique parts. Some are really pricey, if you can find them (right year semaphores & headlights, correct fenders/hood/deck lid/bumpers, steering wheel, horn button, dash pods, wipers, hood emblem, etc, etc. Then there's the correct parts for the 25hp engine....star coil, D regulator, K manifold, correct heater boxes, welded fan shroud, and on and on.

Find one with all the right stuff and you're many thousands of dollars ahead.