TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Is there a good ceiling vent fan that also lets light in? Page: 1, 2  Next
pinetreeporsche Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:48 am

Preferably quiet, incorporating mosquito screen, presumably fed 12V from the battery- any good candidates? Probably are some mentioned in other threads, but a search yields so many with misc titles that there's no telling what's in the thread.

jimf909 Sat Jun 09, 2018 6:56 am

I like the FantasticFan. It comes with a tinted vent cover but I swapped that out for clear.

gbrandt Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:21 pm

jimf909 wrote: I like the FantasticFan. It comes with a tinted vent cover but I swapped that out for clear.

How is the fit in the existing hole?

jimf909 Sat Jun 09, 2018 2:28 pm

I donít know. This is installed on a NAHT (high-top).

cmayna Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:17 pm

I'd love to find a fan for a stock westy skylight opening. Solar powered?

MsTaboo Sat Jun 09, 2018 5:45 pm

jimf909 wrote: I like the FantasticFan. It comes with a tinted vent cover but I swapped that out for clear. FantasticFans are great. Unfortunately they are also tall, so if you barely clear your garage door with the stock vent there may be a problem.
(not an issue with the NAHT tops :wink: )

Multiman mv Sat Jun 09, 2018 8:21 pm

Youíve probably already seen these but in case you havenít, hereís a solar powered fan/skylight. Well I know it doesnít let much if any light in but it fits the opening. Only problem is that cvc has been out of stock for a while.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-and-vanagon-westfalia-solar-skylight/

photogdave Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:02 pm

Multiman mv wrote: Youíve probably already seen these but in case you havenít, hereís a solar powered fan/skylight. Well I know it doesnít let much if any light in but it fits the opening. Only problem is that cvc has been out of stock for a while.

https://campervanculture.com/shop/vw-t25-t3-and-vanagon-westfalia-solar-skylight/

Made in North America, huh? Where can we buy them here?

SSWesty Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:13 pm

In the marine world there are a number of options for the solar fans. Most any marine store will have them. https://www.westmarine.com/buy/marinco--4-day-nigh...gK6MfD_BwE

They don't move a ton of air though. I always thought about mounting a larger computer fan up there. At times it would be helpful to more a lot of air out of that vent when it's hot or when cooking something steamy on the stove. Seems like a computer fan would be thin enough, comes in clear and some of them move a lot of air. It's one of the many projects on my list of upgrades:-)

jimf909 Sat Jun 09, 2018 11:22 pm

cmayna wrote: I'd love to find a fan for a stock westy skylight opening. Solar powered?

As for solar powered, a 12v fan can run off the vanís solar and batteries. Solar alone probably wouldnít move the CFM that a solar+battery would. The Fantastic vent moves a lot of air at 100%.

Jon_slider Sun Jun 10, 2018 6:54 pm

pinetreeporsche wrote: that also lets light in?
heres another marine vent, weighs less than 2 pounds it seems
https://www.westmarine.com/buy/nicro-ventilation--solar-minivent-1000--183733

mount it to a clear skylight and Bob's your Uncle, mate!

Fantastic-Vent is more like 12 pounds.

jimf909 Sun Jun 10, 2018 9:25 pm

^^^ that looks like a good option to move a bit of air when the sun is shining on it. At 116 CFM it moves quite a bit less than the 920 CFM of the Fantastic Vent and I doubt it would do this:

SSWesty Sun Jun 10, 2018 10:11 pm

I was thinking something like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200055 or maybe 2 smaller 120mm fans side by side. Some of the fans have lights so that might be an interesting option.

The other factor I was thinking about is how many cubic feet are in a Westy with he top up. For back of the napkin math I am going with 12 feet of length, 4 feet wide and 7 feet tall(top up) which comes out to 336 cubic feet. 336 is probably generous given the cabinets. It seems like a fan moving 100 CFM would do okay against 300 cubic feet.

joetiger Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:35 am

Multiman mv wrote: Youíve probably already seen these but in case you havenít, hereís a solar powered fan/skylight. Well I know it doesnít let much if any light in but it fits the opening. Only problem is that cvc has been out of stock for a while.

I want one! I checked Dr. Bjorn's to see if perhaps they offer them in North America but didn't see it on their site.

PDXWesty Mon Jun 11, 2018 8:39 am

From an HVAC standpoint, circulating air at 6-10 air changes per hour is more than adequate and is what most restroom and locker rooms are designed for.

Using your 300 CF volume and 10 air changes per hour, it works out to 30-50 CFM. A 100 CFM fan would provide 20 air changes per hour. If the goal is cooling that's great. If you just want air movement to prevent mold or stale air a much smaller fan would work just fine.

jimf909 Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:31 am

^^^ Thatís helpful information. Thanks.

chimivee Mon Jun 11, 2018 9:48 am

SSWesty wrote: I was thinking something like this one https://www.newegg.com/Product/Product.aspx?Item=N82E16835200055
I mounted a similar 230mm fan in the skylight. It seems to make a difference, although I couldn't quantify it.

kourt Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:15 pm

I was sick of my original Westy skylight rattling and rusting and generally being a disappointment. So when you get sick of something like that you get motivated to make permanent changes. I bought a MaxxFan and it requires a standard 14" x 14" hole.

Original hole.

Original hole.

After surgery.

How the fan fits.

From the inside.

Profile. Notice the gaping hole where the water channel exists, below the fan flange.

The finished install required a 1/8" 6061 aluminum plate, with a 14"x14" hole cut in it, to sit over the molded rainwater channels in the roof, looking a lot like this when it was done:

I also made some close-fit inserts out of cutting board material to fit in the water channel openings. With butyl caulking and self leveling sealing, it is waterproof. Not very pretty, but totally functional. This thing moves air and can make the van very pleasant on a hot day. Goodbye and good riddance to the original skylight.

kourt

Tobias Duncan Mon Jun 11, 2018 1:26 pm

I have the same Maxxair fan in my chevy baja rig. I absolutely love it.
I was looking for a lot more than keeping the air from getting stale and that fan delivered.
I stayed cool at night on hot desert beaches and was able to cook fish in the van and have the maxxair act as a very powerful exhaust vent.
Unfortunately I am way to much of a prude to cut into my precious westies .
I wonder how much work it would be to modify the fan rather than the top.

human compass Tue Jun 12, 2018 8:34 am

Man, this would be such an amazing kit. I'm surprised one of the big vendors hasn't tackled it yet.