TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: VW Heaven !
John cilia Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:20 pm

Does anyone know what year this magazine came out ?
Where can I get one ?

EverettB Fri Jun 15, 2018 6:56 pm

It looks like 1949 from a Google search but I'm not 100% sure and if so, don't know which issue from that year.

I'm curious to know if that image was ever published in the magazine at all.

I know Life magazine released a bunch of Walter Sanders photos a few years ago in celebration of VW. This image may have been one of them and it may not have ever been used in an issue.

John cilia Fri Jun 15, 2018 7:33 pm

I guess I've mistaken that picture for being magazine cover after seeing the Life logo.

babymorty Fri Jun 15, 2018 9:29 pm

As I recall, that photo was featured in a monthly issue of the Vintage Volkswagen Club of America newsletter in the early 1980s.

*Darren Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:21 am

Cool photo. And while just a single photo of a particular point in time what I find interesting is the dominance of what appear to be jupiter gray cars. I count no more than 8 medium blue to black cars in the photo. It's like I'm looking at the German equivalent of the Ford factory shot from 1919.

John cilia Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:22 am

And the funny thing is only one has its motor cover open with Fritz attending to it.

EverettB Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:39 am

John cilia wrote: I guess I've mistaken that picture for being magazine cover after seeing the Life logo.

Yes, that is confusing but I believe that is a logo they put on there when Life released a number of VW factory photos from their archives.

Another one with the same logo

John cilia Sat Jun 16, 2018 8:48 am

Love that pic !
If only we had a time machine to walk around the lot and Drool 😎

ZENVWDRIVER Sat Jun 16, 2018 2:52 pm

I like your "subject" title, VW Heaven - that is different for everyone - this was my VW heaven... a couple of splits and my Messerschmitt - back in the 70s

... and this is my current heaven = love multiple Heavens...

John cilia Sat Jun 16, 2018 4:20 pm

Very nice collection of VWS bud !
The ultimate man cave : )

Zwitterkafer Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:22 pm

Back to the original question.....

The photo was indeed published on a page in Life magazine. I have it framed, hanging mere inches away from my PC monitor.....with this post, I was seeing double for a moment there....

Under the picture, the caption reads: "Volkswagen Factory near Brunswick rolls an average of 150 of these efficient 4-cylinder sedans into its broad storage yard every day. It was here that Hitler promised to build low-cost Volkswagen for his Nazi people, but the plant was used instead to assemble army vehicles. British zone administrators have given it special priorities."

John cilia Sat Jun 16, 2018 5:37 pm

Great info, thanks.
Where can I find one ?

Zwitterkafer Sat Jun 16, 2018 6:42 pm

OK, I found it....the picture is from page 40 of the 16 May 1949 edition of LIFE magazine. It's part of an article about how West Germany was recovering faster than the East, under Russian control. There's at least one website selling old LIFE magazines......use the search, Luke!

John cilia Sat Jun 16, 2018 7:29 pm

Thanks for the info.

EverettB Sat Jun 16, 2018 10:01 pm

Thanks for figuring it.

There are a bunch of eBay right now BTW...

Cover

splitjunkie Sun Jun 17, 2018 6:01 am

There's a few less than there were yesterday...

Lars B Sun Jun 17, 2018 9:52 am

You can read it here.

https://books.google.se/books?id=_04EAAAAMBAJ&...mp;f=false

John cilia Sun Jun 17, 2018 12:30 pm

Thanks guys for the info
I just bought my copy of that Life magazine on eBay for $8.

babymorty Sun Jun 17, 2018 5:26 pm

Hi All,

Here's yet another photo from the Life Magazine archive. Just amazing.

Cheers,

Rob D.