TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: New Owner Introduction - 74 Acapulco
cmouta Wed Jun 27, 2018 6:52 am

Hello all! First time air cooled vw owner checking in. My wife wanted to buy a car to restore together and for her to learn to work on and she stumbled upon this 74 VW Thing Acapulco that has been sitting for an undetermined amount of time! Not in the best shape but certainly not the worst I've seen either. VIN seems like its in the right place along with proper blue paint hidden under that terrible respray job. Seat covers are obviously wrong/trash. Pea shooter exhaust is incorrect and annoying to walk into with your shin. Lots of work to be done but should be fun in the end. I've done plenty of small engine carb work and general car/motorcycle/small engine mechanical repair but this will definitely be the oldest car I've worked on to date. I've already picked up the oil bath cleaner/intake tube and John Muir's VW Idiot's Guide. Feel free to comment on anything you see out of place or worrisome as I'm still getting familiar with it. I've already spotted a few extra wires here and there :shock: Right now the plan is to get it running/stopping/safe then worry about dents/rust

JayC Wed Jun 27, 2018 9:08 am

Welcome!