TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: function of the white plastic cap (with a horse picture on i
greenbeetle74 Wed Jul 11, 2018 2:58 pm

That's a very nice original car. :D 8)
I have a similar briljant orange Westfalia bus that was manufactured in July 1975, same Westfalia type. It was imported in the US, California.
Watching all the details on your pictures, I come to the conclusion that my car still has many of these original details, furniture, stickers and so on.
Only it was resprayed, new upholstery & curtains but equal to the originals, new fridge, new cooker, rebuild 2ltr FI engine. The original 1.8 FI engine was end of life. I will try to upload some pictures of my bus later.

Question:
What is the function of the white plastic cap (with a horse picture on it) above the city water connection outside, on the drivers side?

busdaddy Wed Jul 11, 2018 3:44 pm

greenbeetle74 wrote: Question:
What is the function of the white plastic cap (with a horse picture on it) above the city water connection outside, on the drivers side?
It's a drain system vent for when the bus is connected to an RV park's sewer system via a hose, part of the UL/CSA requirements for a North American delivered camper.

greenbeetle74 Thu Jul 12, 2018 1:42 pm

busdaddy wrote: greenbeetle74 wrote: Question:
It's a drain system vent for when the bus is connected to an RV park's sewer system via a hose, part of the UL/CSA requirements for a North American delivered camper.

Ok, clear. Thanks. :vw:

Yondermtn Fri Jul 13, 2018 7:54 am

busdaddy wrote: greenbeetle74 wrote: Question:

I didn't know it had anything to do with being hooked up to water. I thought it was to allow for better sink drainage. My '77 has it but there is no city water hookup.
btw - if anyone has one of these mine is broken and I'd like to replace it;)

busdaddy Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:29 am

Yondermtn wrote: busdaddy wrote: greenbeetle74 wrote: Question:

I didn't know it had anything to do with being hooked up to water. I thought it was to allow for better sink drainage. My '77 has it but there is no city water hookup.
It has nothing to do with the water connection, it's to prevent sewer gas from entering the living space when the drain under the bus is connected to a park drain system.

The vent covers with the horse come up in the classifieds now and then, any local RV store will have one that looks exactly the same but lacking the horse logo if you have nothing at all there now.

alman72 Fri Jul 13, 2018 9:59 am

Yondermtn wrote: busdaddy wrote: greenbeetle74 wrote: Question:

btw - if anyone has one of these mine is broken and I'd like to replace it;)
I have one. pm me