TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Best Windshield Seal (updated info please)
dembus Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:40 am

Who's currently selling the best windshield seal? (non-trim version)
All the previous posts on this topic seem to be a few years old. I broke my windshield installing it the other day and it may have been the hard seal I used. Not sure where it came from since it was a new seal with some parts I got.
Thanks for any advice!!

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:53 am

German!! I tried with the US made one - worked fine for my rear and side windows - could not get it on the front - tired 3 times - always a small part that would not fit - bought the German one - went on first time. This was the California style!

I have a spare German one I could sell - let me know if your interested

jtauxe Mon Jul 16, 2018 7:58 am

I did three windshields last month, all with the "best quality German seal" that I got from BusDepot, and all with no problems. One also used the trim insert, which was installed post-windshield installation, using the special tool. Other vendors also have the better rubber. Just be sure to confirm that it is the good seal.

dembus Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:15 am

jtauxe wrote: I did three windshields last month, all with the "best quality German seal" that I got from BusDepot, and all with no problems. One also used the trim insert, which was installed post-windshield installation, using the special tool. Other vendors also have the better rubber. Just be sure to confirm that it is the good seal.

Don't see a German option at WCM or WW. BD seems to be out of stock. The California style is what I want. No trim
Is there another supplier that has the German one?

Balmoral1958 Mon Jul 16, 2018 10:18 am

i have one!! PM me ..

pittwagen Mon Jul 16, 2018 4:08 pm

I have this German made windshield seal installed on my 79. 6 years and no issues. Same German seals on the rear and rear sides. Bus sits outside 24/7/365.

http://www.cip1.ca/ProductDetails.asp?ProductCode=C16-241-121COE

dembus Tue Jul 17, 2018 6:08 am

Balmoral1958 wrote: i have one!! PM me ..

Thanks, I think I do have a German one in my stash. The German one has the corners molded in, correct? The Brazilian or US made seems to roll up when packed, no molded corners an harder rubber? Does that sound right?
These are the same length, btw. Camera angle makes them look different.

crownline Tue Jul 17, 2018 7:12 am

I got mine from West Coast Metric. 7 years now no issues.

jtauxe Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:11 am

dembus wrote: Balmoral1958 wrote: i have one!! PM me ..

Thanks, I think I do have a German one in my stash. The German one has the corners molded in, correct? The Brazilian or US made seems to roll up when packed, no molded corners an harder rubber? Does that sound right?
These are the same length, btw. Camera angle makes them look different.

No. My German seals had no identifiable "corners".

I'm not sure how to tell by inspection.

alman72 Tue Jul 17, 2018 8:18 am

if you think that those are the same length, you must have smoked your breakfast....

Balmoral1958 Tue Jul 17, 2018 12:23 pm

:) :)

The one on the right looks like a rear window seal.

I learnt to never take the tags of these seals...

dembus Wed Jul 18, 2018 6:19 am

alman72 wrote: if you think that those are the same length, you must have smoked your breakfast....

Same length!! Just the camera angle. The one on the right looked smaller in the other pic.
But this should in no way suggest I didn’t smoke my breakfast...