TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 57, 58, 59
fxr Thu Jan 06, 2022 10:32 am

vwwestyman wrote: Quick question:

I'm considering one of these for a garage heater.

I wouldn't do it right away, but I know that there is a controller that has been developed that allows lots more programmability and such which might be nice. And I recall that some of these heaters don't work with that one.

How do I tell if the heater I'm considering will work with it?

(And what is the name/seller, again?)

Thanks!
Website here:
http://afterburner.mrjones.id.au/

Facebook group here:
https://www.facebook.com/groups/388958075385659
Afterburner (Advanced Chinese diesel heater controller) users group

SurferBob.com Thu Jan 13, 2022 3:23 pm

So warm ! Mmmmm.
Had the local RV repair spot install and tap into the new diesel tank.
$$$$$. Ugh !!!! But wife is happy!!!
I grabbed a carbon Monoxide detector at harbor freight and it is “zero” emissions! Draws less than a liter per day off my main diesel van tank.
Winning ! LOL
Solar CIGS Panels are next.

SurferBob
HuntingtonBeach, CA
1982 Diesel Vanagon Westfalia 1.9L mechanical injection, 4 speed.
Costa Mesa born in ‘82

Silverghost500 Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:11 pm

I just bought a Greyhoo 5ka all-in-one unit that should be here by Friday. I wanted to have an all-in-one rather than permanently mount a heater in my van, and so I can have it outside the van.

I want to run the heat output into either the driver's side door window, or the left side sliding window. I'm thinking of a piece of wood with a hole drilled in for the vent.

Anyone have that kind of configuration with their vans that they can share pics or links?

danfromsyr Tue Jan 18, 2022 2:59 pm

lots of people in the 4x4 community do external installs, they don't have the onboard room we do.
I have a all in one that I use to heat our screenhouse (with sides)

just search google on "diesel heater portable install" and click IMAGES tab.

if you need help and dimensions to make a slide in window board. sorry can't help with that..
one thing that I noticed is that these do LIKE alot of readily available volts/amps for the start up cycle.. so too long or thin of an 12v power cord will cause starting issues.. and they're not 100% waterproof. I transport ours in a (modified w/holes) tote that I can then invert over the heater to protect it from the rain.
since I don't know how far the screenhouse would be from the van, I also use a deepcycle marine battery and place it right next to the heater. short cabling. your needs/process may differ

but now I have 2 bulky things that I can't put up on the rear cushion while traveling. floor is used for the dog and I like the floor open..

for comfort heating we have one installed in each of our family of vans.. but the 2nd fuel source is a challenge to puzzle out.
it would be mighty inconvenient for me to have to refill a tank that's under the rear bench, plus I don't like kero/diesel inside the vehicle to that effect either.

Silverghost500 Wed Jan 19, 2022 9:28 am

Thanks danfromsyr! You gave me some ideas and considerations. I'll figure out some kind of protection to safely "weatherproof" it, as I know I'll be camping in rain and on a very rare occasion down here, snow. One modification I keep seeing in pics and vids is attaching 2X4 or 4X4 to the legs of the heater to get the assembly up off the ground, and gain clearance for the intake and exhaust pipes.

I have a 100ah deep cell battery for my house battery that'll be the electrical source for the heater. I went ahead and got the 12v cigarette plug cable for it too.

I didn't see that many pics of vans with the heat vent coming through a window. I'll make a wooden panel to fit in the left slider window. That makes the most sense to me so that the heat is in the main living quarters rather than in the cockpit.

vanagonjr Wed Jan 19, 2022 11:16 am

danfromsyr wrote: s.. but the 2nd fuel source is a challenge to puzzle out.

I bought a gasoline powered Webasto...yet to be installed.
Which seems to be a theme for a lot of things with me.

esmukarlis Sun Feb 27, 2022 12:14 pm

Has anyone tried to add control device from CDH heater to Webasto Airtop 2000? I have just regular turning knob and was thinking maybe I can buy some cheap Aliexpress controler instead of $$$ Webasto one so I could have some temperature settings!

thatbaldwinlife Sat Mar 19, 2022 12:12 pm

Here is our review and walkthrough of our Espar gasoline heater:

shagginwagon83 Sun Mar 20, 2022 5:45 pm

Espar!? Gasoline!?!

JK. I totally get and respect the decision not to have two fuel sources.

I mainly wanted to play with the Afterburner controller.

My friend wanted a CDH and I talked him into the Webasto 2k petrol. He loves it.

danfromsyr Mon Mar 21, 2022 6:51 am

single fuel sources are certainly the best option.
and those ~$500 JD gator GAS heaters were a sweet deal, didn't last long at all.

but the reality is that IMHO every camper should have an Aux heater.. those who say the MR Buddy is fine are really just fooling themselves.. it's not even equal for comfort heating and extending the use and seasons of your camper.

don't get me wrong.. I still like a Mr Buddy for it's soothing warm glow on a chilly & damp night.. but it's no substitute for comfort heating all night and into the morning..