TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 59, 60, 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
Busstom Wed Nov 02, 2022 8:45 pm

Thanks guys. Good call on #3, I was reading too much into their drawing, the 0~90° notation is misleading, and illustrating the arced dimension arrows, too much (IMO).
I forgot to mention, I did get the straight-through muffler, which I guess is the better type. Also, I'll have to cull through more pics again, not sure I understand the long gold dip tube thingy. I did notice that they kinked it when they folded it for boxing :? I think I'm going to use one of those smaller shoe-box looking tanks anyhow. Still more to learn.
Thanks again.

Hey, here's page 60! :)

do.dah Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:01 am

Regarding your fuel filter, the one you got is WAY nicer than what I got. If it actually works as I think it should, it allows you to drain crud/water from the fuel delivery system. I'd use it for the time being.

Not sure what you mean by "long gold dip tube thingy", but if it's the same thing that came with my CDH, it s for plumbing into your vehicle' fuel tank. Soo, it's if you have a diesal van, and feel like drilling into the tank.

Busstom Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:22 am

I noticed in this image that the long, bent, gold pickup tube doesn't seem to be present. Is it for some setup option that I won't entertain? (I'm thinking so.)

Also, why is the fuel tank outlet in this example set up so high on the right side of the tank? It's like 4 inches or so too high, like the last 1/3 of the tank is unusable (or is there a pickup/dip tube inside that goes to the bottom?).

Should I just plan to use a nipple/hose barb at the bottom of a fuel cell? Or is a dip tube approach preferred?

Thanks!

Busstom Thu Nov 03, 2022 10:25 am

do.dah wrote: Regarding your fuel filter, the one you got is WAY nicer than what I got. If it actually works as I think it should, it allows you to drain crud/water from the fuel delivery system. I'd use it for the time being.

Not sure what you mean by "long gold dip tube thingy", but if it's the same thing that came with my CDH, it s for plumbing into your vehicle' fuel tank. Soo, it's if you have a diesal van, and feel like drilling into the tank.

Ahhh, thanks, I didn't even notice your reply when I was typing my latest. Yes, the tube is linked below, one came with my setup. You might be right, but now after searching out this link below, I noticed in the Amazon ad they have a pic showing it plumbed into the provided fuel cell, except my instructions make no mention at all about this tube :D
Thanks for the note on the filter.
https://www.amazon.com/Standpipe-Webasto-Heaters-1...&psc=1

ZsZ Thu Nov 03, 2022 1:01 pm

Not sure if it was mentioned before, but if you mount the pump through a rubber isolation mount then the annoying clicking is gone:

valvecovergasket Thu Nov 03, 2022 2:07 pm

Chestercopperpot wrote:

theres a lot of good information from the actual webasto manual that would apply to the chinese knock offs as well

check the workshop and install manuals here
https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/air-top-2000-d15

JohnL99 Fri Nov 04, 2022 2:45 pm

Good suggestion on the Webasto manual, Thanks.

I have the Chinese version too, and so far, we love it! That translation of the instructions makes me a little uneasy about sleeping with it running though.

On mine, I went with a 3 gallon boat gas tank, skipped the primer bulb but did use the quick connect so I can remove the tank to fill it back up. So far I havent needed to reprime after disconnecting and then reconnecting.

i believe most use a standpipe (if you go with the 5 or 10L white plastic tank) to remove the risk of a leak all in your van. The marine tank already has the top pickup.

Busstom Fri Nov 04, 2022 3:01 pm

ZsZ wrote: ...if you mount the pump through a rubber isolation mount then the annoying clicking is gone... Agreed, I plan to use those in my installation :thumbsup:

valvecovergasket wrote: check the workshop and install manuals here
https://www.butlertechnik.com/technical_library/air-top-2000-d15
Thanks for that. It's incredible what a direct copy the Chinese manuals seem to be, although with somewhat butchered translation (like an internet app did the translations). (And by the way, who's Chestercopperpot?) :)

JohnL99 wrote: i believe most use a standpipe <snip> to remove the risk of a leak... Makes sense, an alternative to a barbed fitting nutted and gasketed to the bottom of a fuel cell. I think I will try to use the standpipe, shorten it and drop it in the tiny little tank I plan to get.

shagginwagon83 Wed Nov 23, 2022 6:44 am

I have gone through 2 2kw heaters since 2018. At only $100 each they're pretty disposable. I rebuilt one with new gaskets and glow plug but it was never the same.

I recently upgrade to a Lavanar Pro $250 and the quality is significantly better than the $100 ones. The exhaust silencer is very similar to the webasto exhaust I bought.

I would highly recommend going with a Lavanar if you choose to go the CDH route. Also - the Lavanar pro is currently compatible with the Afterburner controller.

langsmer Sat Dec 03, 2022 7:48 pm

Does anyone know what the amp draw is when these kick on? I have read that they pull less than 2 amps when running, but nothing about when they first kick on. I'm curious as I'm interested in putting one in a 6 volt bus with a voltage booster, but not sure that I can get a booster that will provide the needed amperage.

revolution337 Sat Dec 03, 2022 8:07 pm

Mine pulls 8-9 amps during startup and shut down (whenever the glow plug is on). I usually run mine on the lowest setting, during which it is only pulling a little over 1 amp.

langsmer Sat Dec 03, 2022 9:08 pm

Thanks revolution337, that's what I needed to know!

bobbyblack Thu Dec 22, 2022 8:52 pm

shagginwagon83 wrote:
I would highly recommend going with a Lavanar if you choose to go the CDH route. Also - the Lavanar pro is currently compatible with the Afterburner controller.

Brandon,

I took a look at the Lavanar pro. Thanks for helping me with my Christmas wish list ;-)

Getting to my question though; What kind of hours did the CDH's go through before crapping out? Glow plug info? hours of use? Liters used? I'm looking at over 250 liters on my first CDH, and just hopeful to hear some tidbits about what you saw with the two ~$100 versions. I filter my fuel on the inbound leg of my fill system [I've used a variety of kerosene, blend, or straight diesel depending on my monthly budget ($50 for 5 Gal of K kills me) and also have a decent filter between the tank and the CDH] and have not yet had a problem. I do have a spare CDH, and it will work with my Afterburner. BUT, I also have an '86 Westy I am slowly bringing up to snuff for all-season use, and then I will have to sort out exactly what the next 'spare' will be, and if your suggestion makes more sense in my situation. My typical use is 9-10 hours on weekdays, October through May. I have an electric heater that keep the '87 above 40 F when it is parked at home. My '87 bus can be my home any time and anywhere, and I do want to rely on it as such, so your details and thoughts would be appreciated.

Thanks, and Happy Holidays!

-bobby

westyventures Sat Dec 24, 2022 12:26 am

60 pages, and you all still don't know it's NOT a Webasto knockoff? :roll:
All of these are copies of the ESPAR. #-o

ZsZ Sat Dec 24, 2022 1:12 am

westyventures wrote: 60 pages, and you all still don't know it's NOT a Webasto knockoff? :roll:

There are webasto airtop knockoffs aswell. Although they are more expensive, so nobody buys them.
https://a.aliexpress.com/_mP5GHcw

bobbyblack Sat Dec 24, 2022 5:43 pm

westyventures wrote: 60 pages, and you all still don't know it's NOT a Webasto knockoff? :roll:

Oh... I guess the next thought has to be..

Where is the Webasto knockoff?

shagginwagon83 Sun Dec 25, 2022 5:48 pm

bobbyblack wrote:

Getting to my question though; What kind of hours did the CDH's go through before crapping out? Glow plug info? hours of use? Liters used?

-bobby

Sorry forgot to add this info in. About 33 days of system uptime - 792 hours.

I had a filter on my install too. I believe my exhaust path was restrictive. I heard not to exceed 270 degrees of bends in the exhaust. I also believe my fuel/air ratios were too off.

The first heater I opened up and it was coked up. I bought a rebuild kit and rebuilt it. I hear it's hard to properly clean the burner. It would work, but it would fail to start on the first attempt. On the second attempt, it would always start. Maybe the replacement glow plug I used was garbage.

My 'backup' heater had a bad body temperature sensor. That required me to remove the heater and replace it.

I was on the fence of getting a proper brand heater - given the dependency on this heater. Then I heard about Lavaner and gave them a shot. I am very impressed with this heater. After 3 clicks of the fuel pump I can hear combustion.

When I installed my Lavaner, I rerouted my heat through the Westy stove face and it is THE BEST spot for heat output in a Westy. Used an OEM dash vent for OEM finish. Thank you Dobryan (Dave) for the recommendation.

The dog sleeps on the floor under the bed so he did not like the heat output at foot level.

When you are sleeping on the bottom bunk, you can put your foot on the corner of the galley and heat will blow right into your blanket and quickly warm up your whole body.

bobbyblack Mon Dec 26, 2022 4:48 pm

Ahh, Brandon, thanks.. I dug around 'til I found one from you and Dave..

Anyone have more pix of doing this faceplate heater vent?

vanis13 Mon Dec 26, 2022 5:59 pm

Yeah, that is a GREAT location for the heater output!

When I do mine, I'll put it on the sink side because it is a part of the face plate which will not allow a drawer. This left side and the center where the display is are ideal places to put in deep drawers. The sink side is narrow at the sink and side enough for the duct. I'll miss out on the "raise your foot and get warm air blown under the covers" but the addition of two deep drawers will be much better for me...and it will be easier to get heat up to the poptop

shagginwagon83 Tue Dec 27, 2022 6:44 am

It isn't totally flush on the faceplate - I need to do a small amount of trimming on the vent piece to get it totally flush.