TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: The official Chinese Diesel Heater thread (Webasto Knockoff) Page: Previous  1, 2, 3 ... 61, 62, 63, 64  Next
vanis13 Wed Feb 08, 2023 8:18 am

dobryan wrote: ]

Brandon used the brown plastic vent to match his interior. I use the black plastic vent and have no trouble in either of my buses with this modification. Maybe the brown plastic cannot take the heat as well as the black. YMMV.

Well if the brown rear view are any indicators then that is true. I have had several fall apart into dust then replacing them with the black ones.

Robw_z Sun Feb 12, 2023 6:00 pm

This may have already been posted here, but if you remove the ashtray from its plastic frame and mount it back upside down, it makes a surprisingly perfect mounting location for this style of CDH controller.

-Rob

revolution337 Mon Feb 13, 2023 5:15 am

Robw_z wrote:
This may have already been posted here, but if you remove the ashtray from its plastic frame and mount it back upside down, it makes a surprisingly perfect mounting location for this style of CDH controller.

-Rob

This is the route I took for mounting my controller, also helping to support a vendor here. It fits very nicely.

https://www.uniwerksdesign.com/product/mountpod-chinese-furnace-controller/

R0Batt Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:01 pm

vanis13 wrote: for the discrete install location. this is where mine has resided happily for years now.

HEY! some of my images are missing too! :(

Do you have any additional pictures?
How much of the cabinet floor did you have to cut?

The studs are not long enough because the floor is took thick

vanis13 Mon Oct 23, 2023 12:25 pm

R0Batt wrote: vanis13 wrote:

I'd have to dig for pics...what specifically were you looking to see?

You can see the rectangle I cut into the fool in the picture above. If I did it over again, I'd just use a 3" hole saw like someone else did on here.

Also, if I did it again (and I'll modify this one when I get around to it) is to reverse the heater and vent out the (need to be modified) stove grill front like dobryan did! To the right of the sink! since I have drawer plans of the other flat sections for drawers etc.

R0Batt Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:11 pm

vanis13 wrote: R0Batt wrote: vanis13 wrote:

I'd have to dig for pics...what specifically were you looking to see?

You can see the rectangle I cut into the fool in the picture above. If I did it over again, I'd just use a 3" hole saw like someone else did on here.

Also, if I did it again (and I'll modify this one when I get around to it) is to reverse the heater and vent out the (need to be modified) stove grill front like dobryan did! To the right of the sink! since I have drawer plans of the other flat sections for drawers etc.

I have drilled 2 - 2 1/4” holes through the cabinet floor and the metal floor. I cannot seem to get the heater low enough to attach the metal mounting plate on the other side.

I feel like I’m in a little over my head and now have two holes in my floor haha. They are drilled in the right place. im just a little overwhelmed over here

shagginwagon83 Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:12 pm

Yes, I second the heat output through the vent face. I absolutely love it there! Also I second that install location. Perfect for a 2k or 4k heater.

That being said, I did melt the BROWN front AC vent with my heater. I have not tried the black version yet. I might have to create a metal version or print a thicker ABS version.

shagginwagon83 Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:14 pm

R0Batt wrote:
I feel like I’m in a little over my head and now have two holes in my floor haha. They are drilled in the right place. im just a little overwhelmed over here

You need a turret plate. I created my own. But this is the idea.

NOTE: the wood was needed to get the heat output level through the circuit breaker hole. I abandoned that and it no longer needs that height increase.

R0Batt Mon Oct 23, 2023 1:24 pm

You need a turret plate. I created my own. But this is the idea.

NOTE: the wood was needed to get the heat output level through the circuit breaker hole. I abandoned that and it no longer needs that height increase.

[/quote]

Yes I was originally going to use a 4” duct cap as the turret plate which I acquired, but it seemed like such a large hole. So I opted for 2 smaller holes. I am now wishing I went with my original idea.

There is no metal left to hold the 4” hole saw drill bit in place and I do not have the tools to ”free hand” my own hole

T3messie Mon Oct 23, 2023 10:36 pm

R0Batt wrote: You need a turret plate. I created my own. But this is the idea.

Yes I was originally going to use a 4” duct cap as the turret plate which I acquired, but it seemed like such a large hole. So I opted for 2 smaller holes. I am now wishing I went with my original idea.

There is no metal left to hold the 4” hole saw drill bit in place and I do not have the tools to ”free hand” my own hole[/quote]

I am just quoting, do not notice.

vanis13 Tue Oct 24, 2023 4:04 am

R0Batt wrote:

There is no metal left to hold the 4” hole saw drill bit in place and I do not have the tools to ”free hand” my own hole

Can you attach (screw) a cover plate over your hole (s) and cut through the plate and what's left of the floor at the same time?

These CDH turret plates are available from Amazon, eBay and if you have time, Alibaba ($5)

(Man, you kids have it so easy these days, none of this fancy stuff was available when I did my install)

.... so you can get a flatplate the same size, with same corner holes and use that for your temp patch to drill through and your corner holes will be ready for the turret plate

bobbyblack Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:29 am

Just ordered my 2nd Afterburner from Ray Jones [https://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/]

In our conversation, Ray mentioned that the Lavaner Pro and the Lavaner Standard are the only ones left that work with the Afterburner. So, in the middle of that thought (and having just placed my order for the Lavaner Pro) I started to wonder what the Standard model is, or how to get one.

Yet another system to build... More Westy's, more LFP's, more DC-DC and shore LFP chargers, more wire job I can mess up..

shagginwagon83 Wed Oct 25, 2023 8:07 am

bobbyblack wrote: Just ordered my 2nd Afterburner from Ray Jones [https://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/]

In our conversation, Ray mentioned that the Lavaner Pro and the Lavaner Standard are the only ones left that work with the Afterburner. So, in the middle of that thought (and having just placed my order for the Lavaner Pro) I started to wonder what the Standard model is, or how to get one.

Yet another system to build... More Westy's, more LFP's, more DC-DC and shore LFP chargers, more wire job I can mess up..

The quality of Lavanar is great compared to others! I am using a Lavanar Pro with Afterburner.

Where did you buy your unit at? I might be adding one to my office window.

bobbyblack Wed Oct 25, 2023 9:17 am

Brandon,

I used AliExpress, since I had previously used them for my LFP pack. I see my payment has been sent, and there is an email that confirms that, and everything seems to be in process. So, I have not yet received the unit. Further, I am a bit concerned, as when I click the link to view my order, there is nothing showing up on the web page, and nothing other than my LFP order in my history. I was hopeful that there was a stock of these state side. I'll update here when I see activity.

I do believe the Lavaner products might be available directly from Lavaner, but it might be more hoops to jump than I cared to take a swing at.

-bobby

gtinseth Wed Oct 25, 2023 7:55 pm

bobbyblack wrote: Just ordered my 2nd Afterburner from Ray Jones [https://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/]

In the official Afterburner FB page, there are links to the ecu that works with the AB. You can easily swap the heater's ecu if you end up with an incompatible unit. I have a generic heater that worked and also now a Lavaner that also works. The AB is a game changer.

shagginwagon83 Thu Oct 26, 2023 6:39 am

I do love my AB and that is why I still have a diesel heater and not a Airtop 2000 using petrol.

Speaking of AB - where did you guys mount your thermistor?

bobbyblack Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:30 am

gtinseth wrote:
In the official Afterburner FB page, there are links to the ecu that works with the AB. You can easily swap the heater's ecu if you end up with an incompatible unit. I have a generic heater that worked and also now a Lavaner that also works. The AB is a game changer.

Well, I don't often go on the FB, and certainly am not great at how to search for that link you mentioned. I did just spend an hour attempting just that endeavor, as I wanted to then just put a link here so that others wouldn't have to go through what I have just tried...

Is it against some rules here or on FB to post a direct link to what you referenced? If not, could you kindly post that for me (us)?

Thank you.

-bobby

shagginwagon83 Thu Oct 26, 2023 7:48 am

I tried to post the compatibility doc, but you can't post links to the facebook repository. You would have to login to facebook and be part of the group.

Regardless, his website has up to date docs -
https://www.mrjones.id.au/afterburner/assets/files/Compatibility.pdf

bobbyblack Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:01 am

shagginwagon83 wrote: I tried to post the compatibility doc, but you can't post links to the facebook repository. You would have to login to facebook and be part of the group.

Thanks Brandon,

I am a member of that group. And I did look that pdf over quite a while on Ray's site. It seems as if a person just has to look closely at what products are available, and decide to just try one that looks like a go... My best bet was to follow your (and now Ray's) advice on the Lavaner Pro.

-bobby

gtinseth Thu Oct 26, 2023 9:23 am

bobbyblack wrote: shagginwagon83 wrote: I tried to post the compatibility doc, but you can't post links to the facebook repository. You would have to login to facebook and be part of the group.

Thanks Brandon,

I am a member of that group. And I did look that pdf over quite a while on Ray's site. It seems as if a person just has to look closely at what products are available, and decide to just try one that looks like a go... My best bet was to follow your (and now Ray's) advice on the Lavaner Pro.

-bobby
Here is a google search link that Ray posted recently:

https://www.google.com/search?sxsrf=APwXEdfY41GqaR...&dpr=1