TheSamba.com Forums
 
  View original topic: Brakes make no sense Page: 1, 2  Next
Booky Sat Jul 21, 2018 4:42 pm

Trying to figure out what is going on with my brakes.They are five wide drum brakes.When the vehicle is setting still brakes fill good nice hard pedal start down the road applie the brakes they are mushy.Pull it back in the garage play with the star adjusters get nice drag on the wheel nice pedal go back out on the road itís mushy.Have bleed them a number of times no air.

HELP

Pruneman99 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:06 pm

Your brake booster is leaking :lol:

That is a strange problem. Nothing should change, moving or not with manual brakes..

Is the emergency/parking brake applied when you're parked, and have a good pedal?

Howard 111 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:16 pm

Pruneman99 wrote: Is the emergency/parking brake applied when you're parked, and have a good pedal?

That's what I was ready to ask.

60ragtop Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:28 pm

Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?


Pruneman99 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:30 pm

60ragtop wrote: Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?



You can't get the drum on if the angle is backwards. Ask me how I know :oops:

60ragtop Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:33 pm

Lot's of misinformed owners have gotten the drum back on with backward adjusters. Ask me, I know :wink: after 50 years you still see stuff :lol:

Booky Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:37 pm

Not sure what year and no the emergency brake was not applied.

modok Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:39 pm

The same is true of the backing plates.
backing plates from early cars that used the narrow slot adjuster AND cylinders, they NEED the narrow slot to locate the shoes, as the backing plates do not have the support pads that later models do.

Since new wheel cylinders are not available with the narrow slots, what I do is put a small mig weld on each side of the shoe where it goes in the slot, and make the shoe fit the wide slot.

The last one or two years of link pin bugs, the backing plates did have the support areas, but those aren't easy to find.

Booky Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:40 pm

I will add this all drums went on easy did not have to force them.

Pruneman99 Sat Jul 21, 2018 5:50 pm

60ragtop wrote: Lot's of misinformed owners have gotten the drum back on with backward adjusters. Ask me, I know :wink: after 50 years you still see stuff :lol:

Actually, I don't doubt this at all. Many PO's have "made stuff fit" on cars I've bought. Sometimes amazingly so.

OP:

Huh. IDK then. You got me stumped to. Moving or not they should be the same.

Are these new brake pads? Could the pads just be centering themselves? It will take a few stops to help get the pads to center themselves. Star adjustments might be required if they move a lot.

FreeBug Sat Jul 21, 2018 8:05 pm

Any play in the wheel bearings?

Drums out of round?

Dale M. Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:55 pm

Pruneman99 wrote: 60ragtop wrote: Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?



You can't get the drum on if the angle is backwards. Ask me how I know :oops:

Yes you can.....

Dale

VW_Jimbo Sat Jul 21, 2018 9:59 pm

Booky wrote: Trying to figure out what is going on with my brakes.They are five wide drum brakes.When the vehicle is setting still brakes fill good nice hard pedal start down the road applie the brakes they are mushy.Pull it back in the garage play with the star adjusters get nice drag on the wheel nice pedal go back out on the road itís mushy.Have bleed them a number of times no air.

HELP

Help me, so that I can help you.

How old is the master cylinder?

How old are the wheel cylinders?

How old are the rubber brake hoses?

mikedjames Sat Jul 21, 2018 10:50 pm

When its stopped do you have the E-brake on ?
If so you are mostly pumping brake fluid to the front brakes with the pedal. So it feels firm.
When you release the E-brake the rear brakes have to travel as well so the amount you move the pedal has to increase as the volume of fluid you need to get the same pressure increases.

Make sure you free off the E-brake adjustment before adjusting the rear brakes, then do the E-brake adjustment.

You can tell if this is the problem by checking the feel of brakes with and without E-brake applied.

Pruneman99 Sat Jul 21, 2018 11:47 pm

Dale M. wrote: Pruneman99 wrote: 60ragtop wrote: Do you know what year the brake set up is ? > 65 up had angled adjusting screws and maybe yours are installed wrong giving you a false impression they are tight?



You can't get the drum on if the angle is backwards. Ask me how I know :oops:

Yes you can.....

Dale

Well the drum sure didn't fit when I accidentally set the slots up the wrong way a few months ago when redoing my rears.

wahlers Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:20 am

If it were me, Iíd focus on the master cylinder. My car had the same symptoms last year. Brakes felt good at a stop but sometimes after driving a while Iíd apply the brakes and Iíd have to pump them to get good pedal feel.
One day cruising along, came to an intersection, applied brakes and nothing! Luckily nobody was going the other way.
Turns out the master was bad. Replaced master and fluid and bled the lines and havenít had a problem since.
If everything else is adjusted properly Iíd start there. If it
Pulls one way or the other, Iíd focus on the wheel cylinders. If itís just a general softness, start at the master. Good luck!

Booky Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:42 am

Everything is brand new all the brake components are brand new.If just move the car out of the garage the brakes are mushy to come to a stop.If the screw in the star adjuster is back wards which way should it go?

Booky Sun Jul 22, 2018 6:45 am

E brake is not on I have it loss at the e brake handle.

60ragtop Sun Jul 22, 2018 7:10 am

like this



If you don't know what year it is, how did you order the parts :?:

post a pic with the drum off.

mcmscott Sun Jul 22, 2018 8:12 am

What is the diameter of the drums? If the drums have been machined the arch in the shoe will not match the drums and flex as you apply them untill they wear to the same arch of the drum. Back in the day, you used to bring your new brake shoes with the drums so the shoes could be re-arched to match the drums. They no longer do this as the sanding of the shoes blew asbestos everywhere.



Powered by phpBB © 2001, 2005 phpBB Group