TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Fule filter in pump?
jacobcallaghan Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:16 pm

Hello,

I just bought a 1970 bay window. I have been scouring my engine bay in search for the fuel filter. Its seems i do not have one. Is it possible that the fuel filter is in the pump? I read somewhere that originally thats how they came. Is this the case at all? And can it hurt to add another one in the chain?

I have read many places that you want your fuel filter outside of the engine bay to avoid fires. Is this true?

Thanks,

Jacob

Brian Tue Aug 07, 2018 7:22 pm

Hi Jacob

Some fuel pumps do have a filter in the pump, most do not. If you have a 13mm hex head on the fuel pump facing you while you're behind the car, then you have a filter in the pump.
See this picture below, it's from a bug manual, but it's the same pump that has the filter

It can only help to add a paper filter, the best place to put it is above the transmission inline with the existing fuel line. Not anywhere near something that will snag it, of course.

kreemoweet Tue Aug 07, 2018 8:14 pm

All the VW mechanical fuel pumps had filters in them. Some aftermarket pumps do also.
The 1970 bus had a Pierburg round-top pump,
with the filter under the top cover. New filters and gaskets for those pumps are available from
this guy: http://www.type356a.com/index.html , and they are of excellent quality.

You also have a filter at the fuel tank outlet (assuming stock condition).