TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Campbell, 1965 13 window Dormobile Page: 1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6  Next
PDX db Thu Aug 09, 2018 6:54 pm

Hello peeps, figured after pouring over page after page of builds, I should start my own. This bus was built 12 years ago, after being found by John Jensen in the Camas Washington area. Ashley sold it to Patrick Hall who built the narrowed beam, flipped spindles, and straight axle. Dan Petersen bought it from Patrick and took it to some shows in the area. I was fortunate enough to be selected to be the next care taker of the bus, now known as Campbell The Rhinestone Cowboy. The wife wanted the name due to the soup color, I can't not think of the song when I hear the name.

I'm new at posting pics here, so bear with me!

First are a few from the day I got the bus. It barely made it into the garage.

Skim Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:06 pm

Hey Dave. Good to see you here.

PDX db Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:52 pm

Thanks Skim!

PDX db Thu Aug 09, 2018 7:58 pm

After getting the bus, I had to figure out what I was going to do. I had a PGSG on Bus Boys back in 90, and love low riders.....but I knew that as it was, it was to low. One of my questions was could I even get a stock hight bus in my garage. Patrick Hall to the rescue! Carla drove her freshly restored by Patrick 59 23 on 6.40 15 bias plys over for a fitting.....stock works!

PDX db Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:35 pm

So, after much waffeling, I decided to go full stock. I really wanted a camper, and with what some of my friends are doing, and other active bus groups in the PNW, I figured I'd build the bus once. I posted some ads looking for stock stuff and my friend Andy came to the rescue. He wanted my stuff, and he had a full set up from a 67 that was on the road not long ago.

PDX db Thu Aug 09, 2018 8:46 pm

Before I go to much further, I have to express how thankful I am for my friends! They've offered parts, expertise, and knowledge that I'm very greatfull for.

This bus is OG paint, and is being built to enjoy. My goal is to make memories.

Big thanks to Peter for the rack, step, and OG paint 15's

PDX db Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:53 am

While apart I'm trying to clean as I go

PDX db Fri Aug 10, 2018 3:57 am

This brings the project up to where I am as of yesterday, stock beam back into the bus. Had the steering pin rebuilt and king links gone thru. Time to assemble....

nineteensixtyfiveVG Sun Aug 12, 2018 9:58 pm

it looked good lowered but i think it will look great stock too. What are you going to do for the interior?

PDX db Sun Aug 12, 2018 11:10 pm

I picked up a 74 Westy full width rear bed/seat, and am trying to decide what I want to do with the remaining space. I like the flexibility of open, but need to come up with some way of storing camp gear.

mandraks Tue Aug 14, 2018 7:03 pm

the full width bed holds a huge amount of stuff. If you do not need the whole cooking situation inside, i would just leave it open.

PDX db Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:25 am

I'm tending to agree. Rather have boxes that go in for when they're needed

PDX db Wed Aug 15, 2018 11:27 am

The before and the after. 165 45 15 to 205 75 15 Firestone Destination A/T

Braukuche Wed Aug 15, 2018 1:16 pm

Keep posting, that's going to be a nice camper.
Seems a shame to put a late fat chick bed in it. There are a few guys out there making split vintage camper set ups which would look killer, like a SO-22, though that much wider bed you got will make for more comfortable sleeping for two.

PDX db Wed Aug 15, 2018 5:07 pm

I used to have a SO44 back in the day....loved the bed set up

mandraks Wed Aug 15, 2018 7:20 pm

PDX db wrote: I used to have a SO44 back in the day....loved the bed set up

i have, too, and the bed box is huge.

vwuberalles Thu Aug 16, 2018 8:30 am

Those tires are going to be a huge improvement! Are you going to keep that front bumper setup? it'd look great with the meaty rubber.

PDX db Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:46 pm

I really like the bumper. Guess it's a Mr Warehouse repop. I need to do some bracket mods so I can run an uncut bumper with it (I think it's set up for pressed bumper space)

PDX db Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:48 pm

Got the tires back today!!!

62DoKaGuy Sat Aug 18, 2018 7:53 pm

PDX db wrote: Got the tires back today!!!

Much better! Let's see it with them mounted!