TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Surprising the wife with a Thing Page: Previous  1, 2
Davii Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:23 pm

I have the missing tins on order, I think. Is there a nice graphical representation somewhere to help you identify what's what and what you're missing?

So, brakes are done. All new fuel system (kept the bugspray for now), and had it running. Took it for a ride, ran great, very happy.

The wife is planning on having a BBQ the 22nd and having all her friends over. Knowing it runs and drives I'm just finish up the cleanup, get some missing parts, etc and surprise her with it in a couple weeks!

Davii Tue Sep 04, 2018 12:11 pm

KAmes Tue Sep 04, 2018 1:11 pm

That's fabulous! Congratulations, enjoy. :D

74 Thing Wed Sep 05, 2018 7:10 am

Thanks for sharing that video-it made my morning!

Davii Wed Sep 05, 2018 8:50 am

74 Thing wrote: Thanks for sharing that video-it made my morning!

Wait until the 22nd! I'm going to give it to her at a BBQ he at the house she's planning for all her friends on the 22nd. She's going to love it and be completely surprised!

Davii Thu Sep 06, 2018 3:01 pm

I found a few threads on here about putting a regular oil filter kit on fhree car. What is everyone's thoughts? It seems a filter would do a better job than the mesh screen would.

KAmes Thu Sep 06, 2018 6:32 pm

I like my Maxi 2 filter pump. Simple, easy to install. One of two types to match your cam gear so you need to remove your old oil pump and look first. They say they conflict with some exhausts, depends on what you have. Probably wouldn't get along with the original rear engine rock guard either, if you still have yours. This is the extent of my experience though. VW motors seem to last about as long as their contemporaries, so maybe not that necessary?

Davii Sat Sep 15, 2018 4:34 pm

The surprise is going to happen tonight. I have the Thing staged a block away at a buddy's house. The in-laws are coming over and we're going to have dinner. So, when the father in law and I go grab dinner we're going to return with the food and the Thing.

I'll post video.

So, driving it from the shop to my neighborhood I noticed it has an oil leak when accelerating coming from behind the pulley. Is there a crank seal there?

I've read it could be because I have an aftermarket carb and right now no air cleaner. Possible?

The carb isn't working too well anyhow so I'm looking to get a new carb and if it'll help the leak I'll order the stock air cleaner. I tried to put a small chrome one on it but I can't get it to fit.

Any advice would be greatly appreciated. It'll be in my garage now so I can work on it anytime.

Davii Sat Sep 15, 2018 10:04 pm

EverettB Sat Sep 15, 2018 11:31 pm

Very cool, she was super surprised.

On the oil leak, there is not normally a seal there behind the lower pulley
It could be the aftermarket lower pulley

There was a recent thread asking the same question here with a couple ideas, including that it's probably the pulley leaking:
https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=706916

You definitely need some sort of air cleaner on there.
If you are going back to a normal stock carb setup I'd look for a stock oil bath air cleaner too.

74 Thing Sun Sep 16, 2018 10:50 am

Great reaction by the wife. My experience has been a little bit different. They really like it at the beginning, but then begin to complain it is cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

I suggested earlier to drop the engine to go through it and take care of the issues. You have two choices-drop it and turn it back to stock or drop it and convert to dual carbs.

For the stock engine your will need a carb (Solex 34 Pict 3 get a used one in the classified for about 150 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208055), stock manifold center section (50), distributor (150 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2067689), air cleaner elbow hoses and bracket (100 to 150) http://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=air+cleaner&x=0&y=0

If you go to dual carbs you will have to drop the engine too to remove the fan shroud and the manifold sections then reinstall and install the dual carbs.

For your oil leak it can be a number of things-your breather is not working correctly or blow by, the pulley does not have good oil return threads, the case is wallowed out. First I would look at your breather system, then pull the crank pulley and inspect the threads, and as a last resort convert to a bolt in sand seal pulley.

Davii Sun Sep 16, 2018 5:08 pm

74 Thing wrote: Great reaction by the wife. My experience has been a little bit different. They really like it at the beginning, but then begin to complain it is cold in the winter and too hot in the summer.

I suggested earlier to drop the engine to go through it and take care of the issues. You have two choices-drop it and turn it back to stock or drop it and convert to dual carbs.

For the stock engine your will need a carb (Solex 34 Pict 3 get a used one in the classified for about 150 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2208055), stock manifold center section (50), distributor (150 https://www.thesamba.com/vw/classifieds/detail.php?id=2067689), air cleaner elbow hoses and bracket (100 to 150) http://www.thingparts.com/search.php?search_query=air+cleaner&x=0&y=0

If you go to dual carbs you will have to drop the engine too to remove the fan shroud and the manifold sections then reinstall and install the dual carbs.

For your oil leak it can be a number of things-your breather is not working correctly or blow by, the pulley does not have good oil return threads, the case is wallowed out. First I would look at your breather system, then pull the crank pulley and inspect the threads, and as a last resort convert to a bolt in sand seal pulley.

You certainly did suggest that, and I will, but I needed to get the surprise done so I can have it in my garage where I can work on it at my leisure rather than having to do it once a week when the wife thought I was working on a different car, etc.

uglymug Tue Sep 18, 2018 11:15 am

Hey, props for getting it running decent before showing it to her. Most of us b-stards bring home sick and lost puppies hoping our wives will accept them into their hearts like we do, and only then realize we married a realist! :lol: :lol: :lol:
Nice reaction. Get her some aviation goggles for riding with the windshield down. :wink:

Kenbob Thu Mar 21, 2019 9:44 am

I love your story! Other than retiring from the Marines, it's mine exactly. Wife always loved the Thing since a friend had one in high school (early '80s). I've been looking for one for over 10 years. Almost bought one then but didn't, then again about 4 years ago. After she had a bad health scare 2 years ago, decided the time was right. Beautiful yellow 1974 Thing showing up on the transport today all the way from Maine to Texas. No surprise though, she went with me 2 weeks ago to look at it.