TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: "Otto" The Auto 71 - Blue's new brother. Page: Previous  1, 2, 3, 4, 5, 6, 7, 8, 9  Next
Bobnotch Thu Jun 18, 2020 9:01 am

KollynnBlackpaw wrote: It does help quite a bit! What side does that kickdown switch go to, positive? When I mentioned to him he said he wasn't sure what side it came off either since, again, it's been so long that we've had the motor out. And it is FI still. Not gonna give up on it yet!

It comes off the coil + or hot wire (#15 on the coil), then to the cigar (fuse holder), then out to the kick down switch. Out of the kick down switch to the trans. All of that should be on the left side when looking at the engine in the car.
Get Mike to take a picture of his set up in the car, then you can kind of check it against your own. :wink:

KollynnBlackpaw Sun Jun 28, 2020 11:49 pm

Finishing up as soon as the new fuel pump comes in! Question, purely out of curiosity (NO even if it's possible, I never would) can you push/roll start a VW Automatic? How about an Auto-Stick? I never really thought about it until I had a friend complaining about his automatic Maverick and wishing he could just push start it, as his cheap battery is, well, cheap.

Mike Fisher Mon Jun 29, 2020 10:38 am

Not possible to push start an automatic, so I always carry jumper cables in the frunk!

KollynnBlackpaw Mon Jun 29, 2020 2:34 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Not possible to push start an automatic, so I always carry jumper cables in the frunk!
I got jumper cables, a plug in battery charger, and a spare battery! I've broken down enough to know better! :D I was curious because I know there were a few (very, very few) early Automatics that could be push started, ones with front and rear hydraulic pumps, such as the original Hydramatic. Granted you had to get to about 15 mph+.

Qldelsie Mon Jun 29, 2020 7:29 pm

When I worked offshore Louisiana back in the '70's, my old automatic Ford Falcon would often not start when I came back in to town from my hitch on the rig. Always used to get a push off one of the other guys to start it - You just had to be going fast enough for the auto to engage. It doesn't work if you are going too slow, but it does work. Did for me, anyhow.
Not saying it is good for the car, either. But we used to do it all the time.
G

KollynnBlackpaw Tue Jun 30, 2020 5:12 pm

Qldelsie wrote: When I worked offshore Louisiana back in the '70's, my old automatic Ford Falcon would often not start when I came back in to town from my hitch on the rig. Always used to get a push off one of the other guys to start it - You just had to be going fast enough for the auto to engage. It doesn't work if you are going too slow, but it does work. Did for me, anyhow.
Not saying it is good for the car, either. But we used to do it all the time.
G

Oh gosh no, I doubt it works without at least shortening the lifespan of some parts. Interesting to hear about though!

KollynnBlackpaw Tue Nov 17, 2020 2:37 pm

Hey y'all! Otto's finally back home after a long journey - the last 6 months have been pulling cars and parts from the property I bought a ton of stuff off of, so I haven't been able to give him the love he needs. He officially runs great, stinger sounds great, 1641 is excellent and everything - however I'm running into an issue. In short, I cannot get him to rev! Be it from the pedal or the motor, he will not rev in park. However, another issue is he seems almost like he's in reverse when he's in park? I haven't officially tested yet, as I'm a bit short on space at the moment, but when I turn him off after playing with him in park, he shuffles forward to a stop. I have the e-brake on, and he's in park, so I don't see why he'd scoot forward a couple inches if he's in park, so my guess is he's somehow in reverse.

I've been working on getting him a windshield to solve my leaky windowsill, as well, and some other parts for him. While I may not have been working on him this entire time, I've been thinking of him.

Thanks y'all!

Mike Fisher Sun Nov 22, 2020 12:00 pm

KollynnBlackpaw wrote: Hey y'all! Otto's finally back home after a long journey - the last 6 months have been pulling cars and parts from the property I bought a ton of stuff off of, so I haven't been able to give him the love he needs. He officially runs great, stinger sounds great, 1641 is excellent and everything - however I'm running into an issue. In short, I cannot get him to rev! Be it from the pedal or the motor, he will not rev in park. However, another issue is he seems almost like he's in reverse when he's in park? I haven't officially tested yet, as I'm a bit short on space at the moment, but when I turn him off after playing with him in park, he shuffles forward to a stop. I have the e-brake on, and he's in park, so I don't see why he'd scoot forward a couple inches if he's in park, so my guess is he's somehow in reverse.

I've been working on getting him a windshield to solve my leaky windowsill, as well, and some other parts for him. While I may not have been working on him this entire time, I've been thinking of him.

Thanks y'all!

It doesn't rev or shift because you've spent the last 6 months messing with other cars!
Jack it up and adjust your shifter for a start to fixing your problems.

KollynnBlackpaw Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:16 pm

I've already fixed the shifter alignment - that was quite simple. I've still not figured out the revving issue. Yes, I know, I've been messing with other cars. I've had a lot of fortune finding things to rescue, such as my '66 Variant, and my rare Mazda REPU I purchased, and have had to put a lot of work into getting them off the property they're stranded on.

Now it's Otto's turn for attention again, I'd really like to find some help with the revving issue.

Mike Fisher Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:38 pm

I would think it was a timing/mechanical/vacuum advance issue to keep it from revving.
You've probably never cleaned the trigger points behind the metal plate on the distributor. :twisted:

KollynnBlackpaw Sun Nov 22, 2020 1:47 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: I would think it was a timing/mechanical/vacuum advance issue to keep it from revving.
You've probably never cleaned the trigger points behind the metal plate on the distributor. :twisted:

I haven't, but I did check the plate moves via suction. It's just odd to me that it doesn't rev nor does it die - actuating the throttle does zip zilch nada. I'll take the dizzy out and look at it tonight I suppose. How do I clean these points?

Mike, please remember, even all this time later I'm still pretty new to a lot of this. Blue runs great and always has, I've rarely had issues with him except the reason I sold him, which I'm still not great at wiring. If it hasn't been an issue before, I haven't worked on it. I can't help that much.

Mike Fisher Mon Nov 23, 2020 10:09 am

Drag a business card etc through the 2 spring loaded trigger points until they are clean.
Head temp sensor is something else to check. It's all in the brown Bentley.
You've had 3-4 FI squares in the last 4 years and haven't dug into Any of them enough to learn how to tune them.

KollynnBlackpaw Mon Nov 23, 2020 1:17 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Drag a business card etc through the 2 spring loaded trigger points until they are clean.
Head temp sensor is something else to check. It's all in the brown Bentley.
You've had 3-4 FI squares in the last 4 years and haven't dug into Any of them enough to learn how to tune them.

I'll do that, thanks. And I've had 2, but one of them twice so "3" :P I've never really needed to. Blue has always run great except when I sold him because I couldn't figure out the wiring was FUBAR. When Otto went out I wanted his motor rebuilt, and had my friend do it as he owed me anyways and also got other stuff done for me. Like I said, I've just never needed to. Now I do, and that's why I'm asking questions and learning.

KollynnBlackpaw Mon Nov 23, 2020 2:52 pm

Jon went thru the dizzy so it's all clean inside, I cleaned the contact points anyways. No change. Temp sensor is hooked up right, no change. This is seriously throwing me off!!!! Everything is hooked up right, all vac lines are where they should be, all lines including fuel are new. I just don't get it! I'd expect it to at least try to die or something.

Mike Fisher Tue Nov 24, 2020 10:50 am

Just verifying that the temp sensor is hooked up doesn't tell you it's working! :lol:
You have to test components for Resistance with your VOM & Bentley Troubleshooting values.
Did you pull off the MPS & test it for vacuum?

KollynnBlackpaw Tue Nov 24, 2020 1:30 pm

Mike Fisher wrote: Just verifying that the temp sensor is hooked up doesn't tell you it's working! :lol:
You have to test components for Resistance with your VOM & Bentley Troubleshooting values.
Did you pull off the MPS & test it for vacuum?

Aye but it's better than it not being plugged in. No, I don't know how to do that. I only have the Chilton's on hand which I don't like, my Bentley is in use as it has the colour wiring schematics so my friend can rewire another square for me. How do I test the MPS for vac, same as the dizzy? I was thinking of swapping in Blue's MPS and Distributor to see if one or the other are faulty somewhere.

Mike Fisher Wed Nov 25, 2020 8:29 am

Did you twist the distributor left/right while it is idling to see if it would rev better?

Bobnotch Wed Nov 25, 2020 10:50 am

Mike Fisher wrote: Did you twist the distributor left/right while it is idling to see if it would rev better?

Or hook up a timing light?

KollynnBlackpaw Wed Nov 25, 2020 12:05 pm

No timing light, but moving the dizzy doesnt make it rev still. It'll idle worse or better, of course, but still no revs from moving the throttle no matter where it is. I have to borrow my neighbors timing gun again to set the timi g to where it was. I'm going to install Blue's distributor this weekend to see if that helps. I'm at a total loss otherwise, completely stumped. I've checked every electrical connection I can think of and all wires are good and hooked where they should be. The connectors are a bit loose however for the #3 injector and the MPS. Does the TPS need adjusted possibly? Or maybe that's out of whack inside?

I checked for vac lines on all vac hoses and they're good and hooked where they should be, electrical connections for related items are good, fuel flow is good, timing is good, throttle moves freely, I simply don't get it! :?

I just don't get it. I'd assume if something isn't reading right, opening the throttle would either rev it or kill it with all the extra air flow.

KollynnBlackpaw Fri Nov 27, 2020 8:51 pm

Dizzy swap didn't do anything - still ran fantastic, still no revving.