TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Rebuild question on crankshaft movement fore and aft.
mnkytail Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:40 am

Hey guys, I'm trying my hand (first time) at rebuilding a 1600 DP motor. I got everything together (I've been following the Bug Me Videos) except for the flywheel and clutch. I noticed that when I push and pull the pulley the crank will move back and forth. The main bearing at the front of the engine does not move when the crank does. When I placed the bearings, everything felt snug.
Then when I turn the motor by hand there is a point in the rotation where the pulley wheel will push out and then pull back in towards the motor. Trying to figure out what's wrong. Again, I have not installed the flywheel yet. Any ideas on what my next step should be or if this is normal?

calvinater Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:44 am

set your endplay, install flywheel , tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs at least then rotate crank. then get back to thread

mnkytail Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:48 am

calvinater wrote: set your endplay, install flywheel , tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs at least then rotate crank. then get back to thread

Can't set endplay without flywheel being installed first right? Again total neb here!

mukluk Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:53 am

Correct, the endplay is set by installing a set of three shims between the #1 bearing and the flywheel with it bolted/torqued properly to the crank.

bugheadred Mon Sep 03, 2018 10:58 am

calvinater wrote: set your endplay, install flywheel , tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs at least then rotate crank. then get back to thread

tourque gland nut to100 ft/lbs ? thats wrong

cbeck Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:12 pm

^ Disclaimer, the above advice is a start, not the entire process.

calvinater Mon Sep 03, 2018 12:22 pm

Correct , two shims , torque flywheel (100# or more), measure endplay. Subract.004 ", result should be third shim thickness , remove flywheel, add third shim, torque flywheel again, recheck endplay . If in spec . (.003-.005). Good to go. Remove flywheel , install crank seal, install o ring , using appropriate libricants ( Bentley has this) , reinstall flywheel , torque to spec, 270 ft/lbs . Done. Good luck, dont forget to report back

mnkytail Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:41 pm

Thanks, guys! So, it seems that the movement of the crankshaft doesn't seem to be a concern at this point. Best thing to do is finish out the build by installing flywheel, setting endplay and going from there.

Danwvw Mon Sep 03, 2018 1:51 pm

Just make sure that if you have the distributor drive gear installed and it's 2 washers that you have the distributor on and clamped in so the brass gear does not get in a bind against the distributor drive gear if it pushes it up.

mnkytail Wed Sep 04, 2019 6:51 pm

It's been a year, but I literally just got this engine finally pulled altogether. Once I installed the flywheel I was able to set the endplay to exact specs and everything was tight as could be; no movement. Bench started it and ran it to seal the piston rings. Things ran great. Thanks for the tips. Thought I'd give an update.