TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: 1300cc single port manifold
narrowfarm Sun Sep 23, 2018 3:23 am

Hello, I just received an EMPI engine gasket kit for the 1300cc-1600cc, 1963 to 1979 kit , type 1 2 and 3 .
I was installing the new intake manifold copper ring to the cylinder head. The copper ring measures 1.5 inches diameter with my calipers. The copper ring seems just a little bit to big as it doesn't sit in the cylinder head real nice like I expected it to.
Does anyone know if this is the correct size for the 1300cc engine? Does the ring compress as I tighten?? I do believe they do compress that is why you don't reuse them to avoid air leaks. I don't have the old copper rings to compare to. Just thought it would fit better in the cylinder head.....

andk5591 Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:24 am

A full gasket kit has several different size O rings. They should pretty much drop down into the hole in the head. Getting a single port to seal well is not always trivial and the last thing you want it the manifold not sitting in the hole propely. Never ran into your problem, but I have always bough Ehrling gasket sets.

narrowfarm Sun Sep 23, 2018 12:48 pm

Well my gasket kit looks like it was shorted the copper rings for my intake manifold..... The picture in his ebay add shows different sizes of copper rings and I just got two larger ones. The person who sold me the kit has not responded to me yet.....

mukluk Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:26 pm

Measuring several brand new single port seals I have on hand show them all to be right at an inch and a half diameter when measured on the outside, so it sounds like you have the correct seals. Installing the seals in the head is a bit of a tight fit and may require a slight amount of finagling to get the seal to seat down in the groove all the way 'round, but first you should ensure that you don't still have an old seal installed and that the groove is cleaned out. The seal groove should have a squared profile and no noticeable seam or line running parallel to the intake port -- presence of a lip or line and a beveled or rounded profile indicates at least one old seal is still residing in the groove.

Seal groove without seal installed:

Seal groove with new seal installed:

mukluk Sun Sep 23, 2018 1:57 pm

Found a picture in the gallery where an old seal is still installed. It's very easy to see in this pic since the old seal is copper, but many seals were silver like the ones I have and easily blend in with the colour of the head.

diablosandwich Sun Sep 23, 2018 5:35 pm

I have some extras I would be happy to mail to you at no cost. PM me if interested. Casey

narrowfarm Fri Sep 28, 2018 7:15 pm

Thanks for the photos mukluk! just what I was looking for. I see that there was still in my cylinder head an old copper gasket. I noticed it right before I went to work tonight. I have to get them out and install the new ones! Also thanks to diablosandwich , I will keep that in mind your offer to keep my VW going!!! Thanks again everyone for your help!!!

estilholliday Thu Nov 08, 2018 5:49 pm

diablosandwich wrote: I have some extras I would be happy to mail to you at no cost. PM me if interested. Casey

does that offer extend to others? got a gasket kit with no intake seals included...