TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: cracked case at one of the push rod lifters . case trash ?
Dkwautounion Mon Sep 24, 2018 6:50 pm

67rustavenger Mon Sep 24, 2018 8:54 pm

Dkwautounion wrote:
What the???????
Junk!
Damn I have never seen that happen.
Time to look for a replacement case.

Good Luck.

Dkwautounion Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:26 pm

the end cap came off the rod and that was the damage .

Keith Mon Sep 24, 2018 9:34 pm

You got yourself a nice paperweight there.

[email protected] Tue Sep 25, 2018 4:46 am

Rimco used to be able to do some pretty miraculous repairs, maybe check with them. The cost of a repair most likely outweighs the cost of another good used case.

gt1953 Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:45 am

CAse thirty. I am sure you will so do it right.

anthracitedub Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:50 am

Were those lifter bores sleeved? Just a curiosity question. But yeah, I’d just remove the studs/hardware and find another case, also get to the reason as to why the rod came apart so it doesn’t happen again.

splitjunkie Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:38 am

There is probably other damage that you haven't found yet. Definitely a trash case at this point.

Dkwautounion Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:58 am

this engine came out of a 63 that I just bought . the engine has the vw manufactured stamp on it . the car sat since the 70s before I bought it.

Zwitterkafer Tue Sep 25, 2018 9:40 am

How much warning was there before the rod cap came off? There must have been some knocking noises before it let go?

67rustavenger Tue Sep 25, 2018 6:47 pm

Now that I have taken a better look at the state of things.
It appears to have been a fresh build.
Look at the cam bearing. Hardly a mark on it. The same holds true with the crank bearing in the image.
The lifter bores are un-scored too.
The seller, may have been the builder. And he got discouraged after it failed shortly after startup. Then just let the car sit.

Yea the inside of the case looks grungy. But it would after the rod got loose and banged around in there before breaking the lifter bore. Hence all the grey shit that is all over the inside of the case.

Dkwautounion Tue Sep 25, 2018 7:36 pm

the seller may have been the original builder, because he was the original owner . he was rather a grumpy guy and didnt want to share the history of the car to much . he was a old timer. I have a build thread on the car if you wanna check it out. odometer shows 40k.