TheSamba.com Forums

View original topic: Slight damage on harness wires in engine compartment
86VaNa60N Thu Oct 18, 2018 10:12 pm

Well my electrical saga continues. I just keep finding one thing after another. In searching for electrical issues in my 86 Westy, I came across a burnt line on a the harness in the left upper aspect of the engine compartment. Today, I opened it up and noticed there were a few slight damaged wires with brown markings on the insulation and one wire that had cracked open. As far as I can tell, the wire looks intact. From the looks of this, I'm not sure if the wires should bed repaired or left alone. What do the experts think? Thanks for your input

Wildthings Fri Oct 19, 2018 1:29 am

You can leave most of them alone and just tape over the split one.

djkeev Fri Oct 19, 2018 3:49 am

The fuel injection system is UNFUSED.

When something shorts out....... lots of exciting things happen!

Read this thread........

https://www.thesamba.com/vw/forum/viewtopic.php?t=663228

And then I bet you will be rushing out to your friendly local auto parts store (FLAPS) to buy an inline fuse and two insulated 90 male wire connectors. lol:

Dave

86VaNa60N Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:08 am

Wildthing: thats great news :D I was worried about harness repair, which I've ever attempted.
Dave: I read that interesting thread, fortunately my van isn't doing anything crazy at this point, except for the turn signals sticking when the headlights are on, but I'm reading up on other threads about that 8)

Now a new subject for my Samba research: unfused fuel injection system

Thanks you guys,
greatly appreciate your advice
Cheers,
Noah

djkeev Fri Oct 19, 2018 7:45 am

Just an FYI ...... fuse it BEFORE the exciting things happen.

Dave